Thread: Spring fever ride

Spring fever ride

When you live in the desert and as awesome as the desert is you still get spring fever and an itch to head into some higher country.

So the other day acca sends me a message and tells me Danaliguide is in town and we aught to get together for some fun.
    So after some phone number exchanges we put a ride together for today.

I was not sure where to take him with his KLR, A big heavy bike with tall gears and he had mentioned that he was not thrilled about single track stuff.

Now those of you that know danliguide will agree that there is very few places this cat has not seen or been to.
    So I took a stab at it with a ride on jeep roads that goes up Black Rock Gulch to a fire look out station that the BLM runs up in the Pondarose's about 7500 feet elevation.

Sure enough he had been through the top section coming out of Wolf Hole Valley but did it in the middle of the night and had no idea as it turns out that the Lookout Station was right there.

Turned into a great ride and has some great eye appeal that makes it just fun.

It was great meeting him and my friend that I usually hit single tracks every sunday with came along (Butch)

Hope they both enjoyed this ride every bit as much as I did.

THe day started off a bit cool but all were dressed for it.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I forgot to mention what a great guy Danali is and was great to see the expression on butche's face as retold the old women in the desert story to him.
    Priceless man.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

Awesome. Where are the pictures!?!?!?!

Very few up on the look out but I'll work on it.

Name:  IMG_2176.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2177.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2178.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2179.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2180.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  93.2 KB

It was a mellow ride more like site seeing would be the best way to explain it but it was a great day out.

Very cool. Nothing wrong with that.

I did make a stop to see if anyone wanted to do the Virgin river gorge overlook/Cedar pocket overlook and I think they were ready to call it a day.
    Guess I'll just have to blaze this trail by my self soon. It is an old road with falled rocks and high grass to tend with wether old and yellow or fresh and green it is a clutch slipper and the big KLR would have to work hard.

Maybe next time?

This is when a smaller counter sprocket in the pack with some tools comes to play.
    I could change this one out faster than I can smoke a ciggy.

nelsonccc is the one that told me about this over look road but my guess is it has been years sence he has rode it.
    I is not really that bd just a couple of sections of 1 and 2 gear trials stuff tododge the big rocks that have rollend into the trail.
    I think this is why the grass has grown so well. The atv crowd just wont do it because of the work involved to move rocks.
    But there is lots of room to just plain stand up and traverse shit. I have tried twice with the heat and two smokers that both turned around after spewlling anti freeze.
    Maybe a bit to much for the KLR.
    First time I tried I was on my BRP with the 6.3 tank and my buddy on a cr250r 2-t and we decided to turn around cause he was over heating then about a year later he was on a kx 2502-t and it was the same all over again with the exception that I was on the white yz then.

11. Likes denaliguide liked this post
    that was a fun way to spend the day. still haven't been able to rinse all the dust out of my mouth.

Name:  IMG_0780.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0781.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  135.0 KB
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

This indeed was a great day to ride.
    Look me up next time your in town and we will see if we can top it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    nelsonccc is the one that told me about this over look road but my guess is it has been years sence he has rode it.
    I is not really that bd just a couple of sections of 1 and 2 gear trials stuff tododge the big rocks that have rollend into the trail.
    I think this is why the grass has grown so well. The atv crowd just wont do it because of the work involved to move rocks.
    But there is lots of room to just plain stand up and traverse shit. I have tried twice with the heat and two smokers that both turned around after spewlling anti freeze.
    Maybe a bit to much for the KLR.
    First time I tried I was on my BRP with the 6.3 tank and my buddy on a cr250r 2-t and we decided to turn around cause he was over heating then about a year later he was on a kx 2502-t and it was the same all over again with the exception that I was on the white yz then.
    It's been a few years but the last time I rode it was on my DR650 which is dirt capable but nowhere near as capable as the YZ. It's a great trip to go up the the overlook and then work your way south-east along the fire roads to the ranger cabin and the elbow canyon road. Those are great 4x4 fire roads up there. And there is some pretty superb/mild singetrack up there that follows the treeline along the ridges between elbow and wolf canyons. I'd love to come up on the DR and do an overnighter up there! Especially this time of year when it's freshly melted out.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Great I'll be back from Moab on the 7th