Thread: Scamming Panhandlers

Scamming Panhandlers

Interesting videos. We've all wondered who really needs it, who doesn't. So what's the answer?

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I did not watch either video, but wanted to comment, I wonder why people give money to panhandlers....I don't understand it. To each their own, but every time I get off the freeway and see a panhandler on every corner asking for a handout, I think to myself, you'll never get a dime from me.....but if you ask, I'll tell you where you can get hooked up with some day labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    you'll never get a dime from me.....but if you ask, I'll tell you where you can get hooked up with some day labor.
    Right on dude!!! I feel the exact same way...all you need is a sturdy pair of shoes and a pair of work gloves. There's plenty of work.

I've heard that those people can make upwards of $60 an hour doing that...that's damn good money, tax free, too. Too bad most of it goes for drugs, booze and tobacco. Plenty of these folks here in Denver...some of them look quite able, others look pretty ate up. My sympathies and "good luck pal" wishes are about as far as I'll go with them, otherwise...you choose your road, you walk it.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

SCAMMERS SUCK!!!!!!! These folks are raking in the cash - several hundred dollars a day, TAX FREE. If you want to truly help someone, give to a reputable charitable organization. Don't support somebody's drug, alcohol, or greed issues by handing over your cash to panhandlers. Thanks for sharing these videos, Beech.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70 View Post
    If you want to truly help someone, give to a reputable charitable organization.
    This is really the way to make sure your donations are helping people in real need. It's unfortunate that these scammers are giving every other panhandler a bad perception.

Who Cares?!!

If these people are willing to put on a costume and swallow their pride holding cardboard signs at offramps all day I figure they've earned whatever cash they got. Bottom line is they're working for what they get. Sure it's tax free money, but $25K a year is poverty level income. If they were getting $225K a year then that might be a different story...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I've never given to a panhandler because I just don't buy it thanks to the fakes or those doing it for drugs/booze alone.

If I see someone with a sign saying they need money for food...and I have food on me, I'll usually give them an apple or whatever I happen to have. It's a bit harder to spend an apple at the liquor store :)

Related IMO

Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Related IMO

Alright...with all due respect DC, this is way too much of a setup. I mean, the bartender TAKES HIS MONEY! For cryin' out loud, I would make a stink about that too! The actors take the scenarios to the Nth degree.

Some people don't want to eat next to a stinky, dirty street person...others won't care. I can't say how I would feel because the only time I'm actually standing next to one of these guys is somewhere like a convenience store or a doughnut shop...waiting in line type stuff. These guys don't belly up to the bar at an upscale or hipster place....besides, most of them are full of stuck up snobs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Who Cares?!!

If these people are willing to put on a costume and swallow their pride holding cardboard signs at offramps all day I figure they've earned whatever cash they got. Bottom line is they're working for what they get. Sure it's tax free money, but $25K a year is poverty level income. If they were getting $225K a year then that might be a different story...
    Ya know, I somewhat agree with ya. It's really none of my business (or is it?). Get it however you can, pal...as long as it has nothing to do with theft, right? More power to them...people have been trying to figure out how to make money without breaking a sweat since the dawn of mankind.

Which reminds me...you know what the oldest profession in the world is, right? You know what the SECOND oldest profession is? THE PIMP!!!!

The thing is, some of these folks...real and/or fake, are not only hustling cash, but also receiving benefits from the state. That's what chaps my hide...I'm actually giving money to these people...from my hand, to the state, to their hands. Booze, drugs and tobacco.

I can't imagine what it would be like to live such a thoroughly ate up existence...Part of me feels sorry for them and want to help, somehow. Another part just doesn't give a crap...especially since most of these people actually enjoy, or are content with the gutter lifestyle. They reject to "normal lifestyle", or the "rat race". Ya gotta work...and if that's off the table, then beg, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Alright...with all due respect DC, this is way too much of a setup. I mean, the bartender TAKES HIS MONEY! For cryin' out loud, I would make a stink about that too! The actors take the scenarios to the Nth degree.

Some people don't want to eat next to a stinky, dirty street person...others won't care. I can't say how I would feel because the only time I'm actually standing next to one of these guys is somewhere like a convenience store or a doughnut shop...waiting in line type stuff. These guys don't belly up to the bar at an upscale or hipster place....besides, most of them are full of stuck up snobs anyway.
    I just thought it was an interesting setup, but yes a setup nonetheless. I just find it interesting how people deal with beggars and the different responses. Seems like the people who have been in his shoes are more understanding. And the people who have never fallen on hard times can kick him to the curb. I believe the vid says that people only stood up for him half the time. Considering the bartender is a blatant thief, it seems only half the people agree, ya know? Or maybe it's just a case of not wanting to get involved.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

10 Charities Overpaying their For-Profit Fundraisers

These 10 charities are not living up to their missions. Each spends more than 50% of its budget paying for-profit fundraising professionals to solicit your hard-earned money. They are ranked by the percentage of their total functional expenses spent on professional fundraising fees. As a result, very little of the charity's spending is directed towards its programs and services.

source: http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...tail&listid=28
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.