Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really sad. 20 year old died in a rappelling accident near Teardrop Arch (Moab).

Really sad. 20 year old died in a rappelling accident near Teardrop Arch (Moab).

This is Zane Taylor's brother. Very sad. It looks like it's near Rock of Ages, but I have never been canyoneering in that area. http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56...-moab.html.csp

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Moab man died in rappelling accident
    By Nate Carlisle | The Salt Lake Tribune

A 20-year-old Moab man died in a rappelling accident. Zachary Taylor was dead when Grand County Search and Rescue arrived, according to a press release from that agency. The accident happened Wednesday near Tear Drop Arch, 5 miles southwest of Moab. Taylor is the brother of former University of Utah football center Zane Taylor.

Man, 20, dead after rappelling accident at Tear Drop Arch
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    March 14, 2013

MOAB, Utah — Authorities say a 20-year-old man from Moab is dead after a rappelling accident at Tear Drop Arch.

Grand County sheriff's deputies say they were called about 9 p.m. Wednesday and told one member of the rappelling group had fallen.

Rescuers responded and found Zachary John Taylor had died of his injuries.

Officials say a Utah Highway Patrol helicopter helped to recover Taylor's body because the area isn't accessible by vehicle.

FWIW: Pool Arch is sometimes called Tear Drop Arch, which is part of the Rock of Ages route and about 5 miles southwest of Moab...

Sad deal.... we just did this route at the Bogley fest a couple weeks ago.

Sad situation in any case.

Just a guess... but do you think the "lean too" anchors finally claimed a life? I hate those anchors with a passion and after our last trip I promised myself I would never use them again. One slip and you are toast.
    I wonder why the old ones were moved and the new ones placed in a much more dangerous place? They are both bolted stations so natural anchors weren't a motivation. Maybe they were moved for roped groove potential?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Moab man died in rappelling accident
    By Nate Carlisle | The Salt Lake Tribune

A 20-year-old Moab man died in a rappelling accident. Zachary Taylor
    My heart goes out to the family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I wonder why the old ones were moved and the new ones placed in a much more dangerous place? They are both bolted stations so natural anchors weren't a motivation. Maybe they were moved for roped groove potential?
    This is not that rappel, it sounds like it was at the optional rappel at pool arch.

Cool I edited my post before Scott posted.....

Yeah I noticed it looks like a slip at the arch... but who knows.. ill ask GC SAR what happened and see if I can get the skinny.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    This is not that rappel, it sounds like it was at the optional rappel at pool arch.
    Yeah I think it was what mark said.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Very sad. My condolences to the family. Be safe out there.

Zach was one of the best people I've ever known. A true man. This news has hit many people hard. Adventure was part of him, climbing, hiking, river rafting you name it. He was loved and will be missed.

12. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carr21 View Post
    Zach was one of the best people I've ever known. A true man. This news has hit many people hard. But, I don't think I could have seen him going any other way. Adventure was part of him, climbing, hiking, river rafting you name it. He was loved and will be missed.
    Sorry for your loss!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Carr21 View Post
    Zach was one of the best people I've ever known. A true man. This news has hit many people hard. But, I don't think I could have seen him going any other way. Adventure was part of him, climbing, hiking, river rafting you name it. He was loved and will be missed.
    Amen.

I too lost one of my very good friends in a climbing accident a few months back. He will live on through us, his many friends, and so will Zach.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Very sorry to hear this.

Condolences to family and friends.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Sorry for your loss!
    x2
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

very sad for he family!!!

can you actually rap the arch?
    I remember we hiked under it
    when we did it i remember we find bolts on the route
    to get there , but I do not recall that arch rap and usually I remember a least when i do big arch rappels!!!
    but i think we had Lucy (our canyoneering dog) with us so that could be a little complicated the plan!!!

You can rappel from the rim into the alcove behind the arch, it's a big rappel partly free hanging. That rappel is optional and has an easy walk around, which is why I refer to it as a "stunt rappel".

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Here is a photo we took on a 2009 trip:

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    But the anchor at the top is a solid tree, plus a bolt.(Scott's Picture)

I guess there is no need to speculate, since we don't know how this happened.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Are we sure this is the rappel?

Pool, Vortex or Teardrop Arch is a big rappel, with an easy start. The free hanging happens gradually. I love to take beginners here.

The anchor is a tree with the webbing replaced frequently.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

At this point all we know is what the trib article said.