Thread: Anyone done Allen's The Dirty Devil North Route?

Anyone done Allen's The Dirty Devil North Route?

I am looking to do a 5-7 day backpacking trip in southern Utah. I am looking for something that doesn't need a rope. Climbing to class 4 without a rope is not a problem. In Steve Allen's Canyoneering 2 book he describes the Dirty Devil North Loop. It starts at Burr point and heads up Larry Canyon, then down No Mans Canyon, North Fork. Then to Angel Trail and back along the Dirty Devil river.

I am wondering if anyone has done it and whether you thought it was a good route. Was water an issue? Did you bring a rope and end up using it? How many days did it take you to do the loop? The book says 7 days, but that seems a little long to me.

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I did it with friends about 4 years ago...and I believe it was 5 nights? We had a layover in there as well. There is water in all the canyons, some have potholes and others short, intermittent small streams. It's certainly dryer here than the Escalante canyons...but water was never an issue. We did it in April.

I remember having a short rope (15 meters) for pack hauling, but didn't have to haul any people. It's a fun backpack, and if you're looking for non tech, this is a good one. Here's a few pics, just 'cus I'm picture happy lately.

EDIT: It might have been 6 nights, now that I think about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

I've done most of it, but in sections visiting various place rather than all at once. Keep in mind that Allen's Dirty Devil River North loop crosses or nearly follows many well used roads. I like long backpacks, but to me it is a mystery as to why people want to do the ones that cross of bunch of well used roads. IMHO, there are better loops in the Dirty Devil for long distance backpacks, i.e. the Sams Mesa Box/Twin Corral Box loop and they don't cross a bunch of roads.

The Dirty Devil North Loop does visit a lot of spectacular places; it's just all of the areas visited (at least on the main route) can easily be visited on day hikes or a short overnighter at best (though the parts that are presented as options, such as Robbers Roost Canyon do make excellent backpacking destinations).

Some of the other hikes in that book (which for those who don't have it is recommended and has a lot of valuable information), such as the Escalante South Loop are better (at least in my opinion) for long backpacks since they don't cross a bunch of well used roads.

The Long Canyon-Gravel Canyon Loop is close to some roads, but it is great for backpacking since you have to go on a backpack to explore the side canyons.

The Dirty Devil North Loop also has a lot of side canyons, but they can still be visited easily as their own destination. The Dirty Devil River North Loop also skips some of the best stuff in the area (which you can find if you poke around).

No Mans, Twin Corral, Sams Mesa Box, Larry, and Robbers Roost complex are all great destinations in their selves and are worthy of exploration.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Hi Scott,

I have also looked at the Escalante South Loop, but that one looks like I would need to bring a rope. There appears to be a few Class 5 climbing sections, which I would not want to do with a large pack on. Have you done that route? I wonder how hard the climbing sections are and whether they are doable with a pack on.