Thread: Grand Canyon Feb 12 - Mar 8 2013

Grand Canyon Feb 12 - Mar 8 2013

Just got back from my 25 day trip down the grand canyon. it was an awesome 25 days on the river. 9 layover days allowed for plenty relaxing in camp or doing side hikes.

Snowed in Flagstaff gearing up and again when we were derigging. The weather in the canyon was great though, it only rained 2 nights out of 25.

Loading up in Flagstaff
    Name:  001 Loading gear in Flagstaff.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  88.8 KB

My Boat
    Name:  IMG_0662.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  61.0 KB

Elves Chasm
    Name:  IMG_0684.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  108.4 KB

Self Portrait
    Name:  IMG_0695.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  87.1 KB

Deer Creek Falls
    Name:  IMG_0699.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  168.0 KB

Deer Creek Falls Beach
    Name:  IMG_0707.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  95.9 KB

Lava Falls
    Name:  DSC_0470.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  71.7 KB

Lava Falls
    Name:  DSC_0471.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  70.1 KB

Lava Falls
    Name:  DSC_0472.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  70.4 KB

But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

2. Likes oldno7, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Oh man that would be a riot! Great pics! 25 days though...not sure work would like that though...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

You've gotten my totally excited! Great pictures and videos! I hope I might be able to reciprocate? I leave this coming sunday to rig and then launch on monday for 21 days on the river! YEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWW!

6. Likes denaliguide liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    GREAT Trip, Les!!!!!

great pics, thanks
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

SO AWESOME! Congrats man, what a trip.

WOW that's epic. Thanks for posting, I'll have to check out those videos in a bit

Looks incredible!

Any flips?

I noticed you back pedal a lot, going into bigger stuff lay on your sticks to push. First you are giving a little bit of speed to your boat, plus your center of gravity is leaning forward.

not my first rodeo @Alex. been doing this stuff professionally for 35 years. no flips from any of the boats. 2 of the 18 footers did hit a couple of holes sideways and ejected the driver of one of them in upset.

now who has a permit for cataract?

It'll be my first full rodeo starting in 5 days! I took a packraft down Cataract a couple years ago, and flipped several times! I'm hoping that I can run the 16' cataraft down the Colorado without any flips. I do remember Rich (the fellow loaning me his cataraft) telling me that I need to power through the waves though, not unlike what Alex suggests? What are your thoughts on this? Any thoughts-suggestions will be happily accepted! BTW....the Cataraft is a 16' JPW that Rich built his own frame for. It is quite a bit narrower beam than the frame JPW supplies. Rich designed it with a 5' beam so that it would be more appropriate for smaller/technical creeks. It also has 14" tubes so not a lot of freeboard as well. I'll try loading the boat light so as to not sink it too deep. Thoughts/suggestions/ideas certainly accepted! Also...this is what happened in Cataract when I first ran a few minor rapids, and why Rich suggested that I "Power" through the waves.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTkAj5M85Ts
    Bo

i might have pushed a bit more if i wasn't nursing what i think may be a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. instead i would just get my blades in the water and anchor them so the current would carry me up and over the waves.

i have pushed myself through waves and flipped too. mostly from the bad timing of when a particular wave would break either under or on top of the boat.

btw... right down the middle of hermit is the greatest wave train ever. at least it is between 8,000 and 12,000 cfs. it was a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    i might have pushed a bit more if i wasn't nursing what i think may be a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. instead i would just get my blades in the water and anchor them so the current would carry me up and over the waves.

i have pushed myself through waves and flipped too. mostly from the bad timing of when a particular wave would break either under or on top of the boat.

btw... right down the middle of hermit is the greatest wave train ever. at least it is between 8,000 and 12,000 cfs. it was a hoot!
    Thanks; all beta appreciated! I'm one year and 2 months out on my right rotator cuff surgery. I'm feeling pretty good....hoping it holds up, other wise I may also let the current on the oars run me through!

I'm loving these pictures and video Les! Did you split your party up running lava to allow someone to shoot stills? Those are some great shots and quite far down the rapid looking up. It would take a while to hike back and then run it.

Love hearing different ideas of how to approach the rapids, I still have lots to learn and so few total days under my oars yet.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

A good friend passed this year that started me in running rivers back in 73.
    He was one of a kind and taught me to accept people for who they are.
    His son and I ran for awhile with some old military rafts.
    Best dam thing I have ever done and it's been over 30 years Since my best friend (His son) and I have stroked.

Old school for sure we lost our whole kitchen in west water on spring in a blinding snow storm in April.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.