Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temple Mountain (March 16-17)

Temple Mountain (March 16-17)

Anyone going to be in Temple Mountain area March 16-17th? If the weather holds, and I can get my bike started, thinking about doing a little riding down there. If you don't mind riding with a girl, let me know! Will be hiking Goblin with my dogs too, especially if I can't get that bike to start.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi Moo and welcome aboard.
    So tell us what you,re riding and a little about why it will not start.
    There are some here that may be able to walk you through it or maybe your already on top of it.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

I'd love to ride down there again soon. There are some cool single track sections. Several that @double moo and I didn't have a chance to ride. You may have seen our report from last weekend: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67800

Gotta love spring time.
    So many areas and so much to make up for.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    Hi Moo and welcome aboard.
    So tell us what you,re riding and a little about why it will not start.
    There are some here that may be able to walk you through it or maybe your already on top of it.
    Well, it's a 2008 Honda CR250F. They are notorious for not starting. I've taken it in to Honda to see if they can help and check if the valves need adjusting, but it's always had a hard time starting from the day we bought it. If they can't get it so I can start it, I have another bike I can ride. If anyone has any starting tricks, I would love to hear them!

Thanks!

I did check out your report, I love it down there! Hope the snow is melted by this weekend! It's been a few years since I've rode down there, but I do remember some really fun single tracks. I typically ride a little further West, i.e. Justeson Flats, Eagle Canyon, Copper Globe Mine, Devils Racetrack and such. But I just got a new puppy and I always like to start them camping and hiking in Goblin.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Pretty rare to find ladies that enjoy riding the swell, let alone on a bike. I know one or two. Your first name isn't Kehau by chance, is it?
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

About the only thing I can think of for starting is do not touch the throttle when starting.
    Sounds crazy but some four strokes are very touchy about this one.

Give it a try and see if that helps at all.
    Sounds like you have the normal stuff down like fresh gas etc.? Air filter and all the other goodies?
    Spark Plug? Starting out of gear?

Oh and heres one that used to help me with my XR650R.
    When putting away start it and turn the gas off and let it run out of fuel.
    Then when you take it out for the next ride I'd turn the gas on and slowly kick it through three Top Dead Centers and kick her hard on the compression stroke.

These Honda 4 strokes tend to flood very easy.
    One other trick is if you think it is flooded? Lay her on her left side and watch to see if gas is coming out of the carb vent hoses. This is an easy way to unflood her and may just work for you.

If you do lay her on her left side and the gas just keeps coming out of the vent hoses after a few minutes chances are it is your float bowl level adjustment is off and needs to be reset.

Now tell us about your air filter and how much oil you use on it?
    If you don't mind?

I ask a ton of dumb Questions all the time in this Forum and because I do the boys have helped me more than I can possibly figure out on my own thank heavens. Tends to drive some of them nuts I'm sure but oh well.

Great bunch in here and even greater to ride with.

My big KTM 620 had a sequence you had to go through or it was a real bitch to start and it had a left kick too!

I would roll the throttle to about half then let it go. Then hold the compression lever in while I pushed the kick starter through from top to bottom 3 times with my foot. Not kicking it, just pushing it through with my foot. This primes the piston and gets it ready to start.

Then I kick the s$%# out of it without touching the gas. It would then start after a couple or three kicks.

Them there cold blooded basturds with big bores

The thing is they all have a certain way about them and once you get it down life is good again.

And that is why this lazy bugger is in love with fuel injection and magic buttons.

Hot dam if life is not good again:D

I actually tried to kick mine over the other day and I think it is set up like them hondas were you have to kick it three time to get the electrical charge stated to fire(The fuel injection models) But it's like everything on this bike smooth as glass.

No hot start button not kick back just plain simple.

I'm really loving this KTM.

One thing have noticed is the magic button fires up right now in gear or not and I have road with many other brands that take a long ass time to fire over even the blue and yellow bikes can't hold a candle to this one there.
    At least not the 70* motors but it will all be the same by now or in short order.

Thanks Guys!

I will definitely try all your suggestions. The gas is fresh, air filter cleaned and oiled to a nice pink color, the spark plug is basically new. I kicked it about 150 times the other day and it just wouldn't start. Usually, once I can get it started and run it for a while, it has no problem starting. It's just that initial starting. My husband was the only one who could get it to start, and that was with about 100 kicks. He was much more patient than I, and a hell of a lot stronger! I can get his bike, a 2004 Honda CR450F to start after about 4 kicks.

I know that most 4-strokes don't like any gas; but it seems like my bike isn't getting any gas. And, if you pull the choke and try to start it, you have to push the choke back in the moment it lights up or it will just die. Any thoughts on that one? After talking to Honda, I guess the 2007-2009 Honda CR250Fs are notoriously bad for starting. They are going to check my valves, jetting and carb. If they can't get it to where I can start it, I'll just sell it and ride my husband's bike. It's a bit much for me, but I'm pretty good at throttle control. (I sure miss my KTM400, with the electric start!)

@BruteForce: I know! I have only met a few female riders in all my years riding, and I've only ridden with one. Wish I knew some now, like this Kehau! All the guys I used to ride with don't go anymore. :(

Thanks again! Wish me luck! ;)

15. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    Pink Color Houston we have a problem.
    And if it's UNI well girl there you go and a full carb cleaning is my first guess.
    Not to offend But! I went down this road and nothing but carb issues with my 450 YZ Just saying what I like is a nice tint of blue Maxima now days.
    A light frosting and rubber gloves working it to the perfect color. But I think it was the white grease that gave me most of my problems. IT MELTS and gets sucked into the carb.(like it gets liquid with heat). After the first carb cleaning it was another prob with the acc plunger and nothing that a good light coat of syn. water proff grease did not cure for me
    THe ACCelerator pump is suposed to be free from gas and pollutants but they are a metal to metal problem with some corosion issues. Thus a light coating of water/air proof grease. Ran like a champ after that.

It is UNI! Honda is cleaning the carb, so I will switch to Maxima, and see what happens. If this works, I will be such a happy girl! Thanks so much!

Please let us know how your ride went.
    I'm in St George and a friend dropped by for a ride so I was out but would love and try to get a ride together in the future.
    I know I'll be up that way for the supercross SLC at the end of next month and maybe we can get a group together for say Cherry Creek?
    The snow will make American Fork a no go but there should be something we can all hit together at this time.

And I for one say if your old man can start the 250 let him ride that and get on the 450.:D

You know girls have this great power over men RIGHT?
    Turn this 250 over for a KTM with an electric start.

Well, it turns out my pilot jet was plugged. (I didn't think it was getting any gas!) So, I went down to Temple Mountain and camped with some family. Unfortunately, none of my siblings ride, but I wanted to bring my bike to see if I could start it on my own. (@Mtnseeker1: I suppose I need to say my "late husband" so he doesn't sound like a jerk. He always started my bike for me... such a sweetie!) But anyways, I unloaded my bike, gave it 3 warm up push throughs, just to let it know it was about to be kicked, and then kicked it twice and it started! Woo hoo!!! I did a little road riding and then came back to camp and killed it. Then hot-started it on the 3rd kick! Did a little more riding. Stalled it in a sand wash and hot started it on the 4th kick. I was so excited!

I found a single track that I wanted to ride, but I thought I better not do it by myself. I can be such a klutz sometimes! I thought there would be more riders down there, but I only saw two people on bikes, the rest were on Razors or four wheelers or they were just hikers.

Hope everyone had a safe and fun weekend!

Always a good feeling when they start.

By the way I am sorry for your loss. I did not know.

You know Moo I have thought about this for a spell.
    I not sure what to say other than atta a girl and keep riding
    Hope that does not offend and we need to get together for some rides.
    Most these guys on here ride like the wind but there are others that only get out a couple times a year.

One thing is for sure and certain is this is the place to find the very best rinding buds around Spot on

Right now in my life I like to find the craziest basturds to ride with that I can. Just where I'm at right now.