Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: look at this post

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    I submit this thread name be changed to "Don't look at this post".

Or post with some exposed mammalia to make it NSFW and relocated.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How is your knee doing. You feel up to doing Portal Canyon with us on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    How is your knee doing. You feel up to doing Portal Canyon with us on Saturday?
    Still jacked.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

If you are going to have a "look at this" thread there should at least be something to look at...

She seem's fun....

Name:  4730628875_4f3c542552.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  160.7 KB

Name:  4730680379_90be8ddc7c.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  4731342206_3046120b27_z.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  213.8 KB

Name:  4731270276_49afc3f865.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  108.1 KB

Hey yeti;

Slot Machine, like myself, can sometimes come across more rigid than intended, but in this case i find it easy to see he was just asking which feature on the satellite image looked appealing, that maybe he was missing something.

I gathered no rudeness from his question, and never any indication from anybody that a canyon must be to certain standards before inquiry.

I simply observed that he was interested in learning what feature may have caught your eye, and that he would like to see from the same perspective you had.

This is an open community and there are no requirements to be met regarding beta or simple chit chat. Some other sites may not be so catering to the novice demographic but we pride ourselves in it. Some users here will attack people on their first trip report regarding the lack of helmets but those same users will refrain themselves on other sites, but this does not represent the bogley community at large.

Please feel free to ask your questions here.

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sombeech is sexy when he struts around wearing his moderator hat.

9. Likes Byron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    NICE!!!!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

BTW, Crazy Yeti...I'd want to go there simply because I've eyeballed that area as well and have never been there. I've driven over Raton Pass and looked longingly to the east wondering...

One thing to figure out before just going there with gear and camping gear is...what's public and what's private? I'm interested in poking around down there but it would be smart to know what are the no go areas first.

Some of those little canyons might be fun. Sometimes no one ventures there and it's a real wilderness experience, other times it may turn out to be an eaten up mess, full of cow flop. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Slot Machine, like myself, can sometimes come across more rigid than intended...

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Byron, I have a feeling you don't want to know what is under that skirt.

Sooo... I found a similar canyoneering adventure out there. Here is the map:

Name:  cowpasture.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  103.0 KB

Then I zoomed, way, way, way in, using Bing Maps, 'cause that resolution is amazing, and this is what I saw:

Name:  cow.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  80.0 KB

So yes, Byron is right. There is a chance of finding an eaten up mess, full of cow flop.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

13. Likes Byron, rockgremlin liked this post
    Disclaimer: Maybe these canyons are girly, maybe they aren't all-star canyons, but like Byron said, sometimes being off the beaten path and finding solitude is more important than doing the deepest/darkest/narrowest. To me, the process of exploration, and finding things that look like they may be neat, and off the well-blazed trails, is something that excites me. I apologize if this beta isn't what people would expect, and I'm sorry if you are disappointed with the results.

That being said, here is what I have ascertained.

The general area is southeast CO, east of Trinidad, southeast of Pueblo, in an area loosely centered around the confluence of the Purgatoire River canyon and Chacauco Canyon. There is a landmass called "OV Mesa", that is roughly flanked on both sides by the above streams, and it has several canyons carved into that might have some fun, short canyoneering routes. I have been attempting to pinpoint the rock layer in this area, but after a day's searching, still have yet to find a bullseye strat column for the area. I THINK it might be Entrada, but I have seen varying reports for the general area and I'm not certain.

Basically it doesn't look like there are any glory slots. But, there looks like there could be some short, possibly techincal slots, as well as some wider but still entrenched canyons, and plenty of technical non-slot canyoneering routes. There also looks to be potholes in a lot of places, so perhaps the combination of short + technical + potholes may yield at least a fun afternoon? I have bookmarked about six or seven canyons on Google Earth, and confirmed with alternate imaging from ArcGIS. Looks like fun.

Access is a mash up, there is the Pinon Canyon test range (connected to Fort Carson) on the river left bank of the Purgatoire, which is most definitely off limits. There are a couple of decent looking county roads that access the area from the north (north side of Chacauco) and the south (south of OV Mesa). Both look to be long drives from population centers, but could get you to within a handful of kms of your target canyon. Perhaps a multi day backpack trip, but I can't say what leaving a vehicle would be like.

Other than that....I don't know anything. If you find yourself unable to resist planning a trip, give me a holler, I'd love to tag along and see what plays out.

Name:  Purgatoire6.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  Purgatoire.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  102.1 KB

Name:  Purgatoire2.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  Purgatoire3.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  Purgatoire4.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  Purgatoire5.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  100.3 KB
    Last edited by yetigonecrazy; 03-14-2013 at 06:11 AM. Reason: spelling

15. Likes oldno7, Byron liked this post
    Hey... half the fun of an unknown canyon is going to check it out.

There is no such thing as a bad canyon, some are just better then others.

Thanks for sharing.

17. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    X2 Nice job yeti!

I think we are all like a bunch of sled dogs that have been pent up too long. BUT NOW THE SUN IS SHINING! TIME TO PULL!!!

FWIW, canyon Photo #4 is my favorite. After being indoors for the past 12 weeks, I'd kill to do any of them.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I'll go to the Fed Center sometime this month an pick up a couple (or few) topos to get a feel for the place. I'll come back here if I pick up some beta on the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I'll go to the Fed Center sometime this month an pick up a couple (or few) topos to get a feel for the place. I'll come back here if I pick up some beta on the area.
    I don't know if you get them free, or if you like to have the full size pages (completely understandable), or if you already knew this, but you can get any Colorado 1:24,000 USGS 7.5 min quad free at this website. They are all in TIFF format but overall its a pretty bitchin' resource.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    cool looking area
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    cool looking area
    Yeah, I've been scoping it out too...going back a while, in fact.

For those interested in where it is, Google Map southeastern Colorado, due south of Lamar to a canyon system with the orange rock rims. With close inspection, there are ranches dotted all around, and lots of dirt roads, too. My question is, how much of this is private land? It would be a bummer to drive all the way down there, truck loaded for boondock camping, only to be confronted with lots of locked gates and "No Trespassing" signs. Now that my interest is piqued on this place, I'd like to find that out...I need to look at a map showing what's public/private property before I even think of cruising down there.