Thread: Canyon Packing?

Canyon Packing?

Just getting packs ready to do a canyon tomorrow. Does anybody else enjoy this time of choosing gear and packing or am I a little strange?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ever since I dropped one of my gloves while loading the car in a hurry (of course it would be the one for my brake hand) I'm always paranoid that I've forgotten something. Though part of me does enjoy it simply for the fact that packing means I'm gonna go do a canyon which is always a good thing.

Blog Entries
    Definitely! I love the sound of clinking' biners in a backpack.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I hate packing... it is my least favorite part of the trip...

I have yet to figure out why it takes me 2 hours to pack, yet I can clean up and put everything away in 15 minutes.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

6. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    It's cleaning up and putting things away that takes me the longest. My gear can be seen still in the back of my car weeks after a trip. I just never get around to putting it away.
    --Cliff

Drying wet rope and gear = least favorite part of the process

I have a drying rack in my garage. Soon as I pull in everything wet gets hung to dry. Everything else gets put away immediately. I can clean up everything in 10 minutes, and maybe 5 extra minutes on Monday to put away the gear that was drying.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I hate packing... it is my least favorite part of the trip...

I have yet to figure out why it takes me 2 hours to pack, yet I can clean up and put everything away in 15 minutes.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    I'm just the opposite. Haha!

I like packing for a canyon and get it done quickly. I hate putting stuff away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    I'm just the opposite. Haha!

I like packing for a canyon and get it done quickly. I hate putting stuff away.
    I always have a spare room if you need one. When you coming down again, we will probably be doing canyons about every weekend if you need something to do?

Putting stuff away takes a lot longer. So much stuff needs to be washed and/or dried. Although both are fairly easy since now that 1 daughters gone and another in college I have converted one of the bedrooms into my "equipment" room. Makes packing so much easier.

I include shoping for food in the packing.... and I hate shopping.

I love the packing because my eagerness level is uber high. It was all too high two years ago and I managed to forget the tent. Made things interesting. I try to calm myself down a bit more now and take longer to make sure it's done 100% right.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I include shoping for food in the packing.... and I hate shopping.
    Ahhh...my girl friend gets all the food. I am responsible for the gear. Division of labor!!!

my recent grand canyon trip took a week to get ready for, 25 days to do, and 3 days to clean up and store all the gear.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    my recent grand canyon trip took a week to get ready for, 25 days to do, and 3 days to clean up and store all the gear.
    Hey man...I demand to see a trip report! Did you make it to the Grotto in Kanab Creek?

In regards to packing...everything, and I mean everything, is in the back of my big pickup truck. All I have to do is load up the food. It's all so organized that I can load my pack at the trailhead for a trip of any length in less that 15 minutes. Weighing out and repackaging the food for multi day trip takes a bit longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

pack-shmack; all the work is in making the list of what to pack - including weights, to achieve a target packed weight

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    It's cleaning up and putting things away that takes me the longest. My gear can be seen still in the back of my car weeks after a trip. I just never get around to putting it away.
    I used to do that ,just replacing food items and putting back the stuf that was cleaned, that is why i love subaru wagon.....lot of crap can fit in the trunk!!!
    about excitement ,lucy she will sit for hours in the car as soon we started packing ,just to make sure we will not leave her with dogsitters and she can go canyoneering with us!!!!