Thread: Sewn prusik loop ... Questions.

Sewn prusik loop ... Questions.

I have 2 prusik loops tied up and ready for duty, used them many times in several apps last season. These loops, when the knots are good and set measure 17inch and 18inch. Worked well for extending my rap device. However, when using the loop as an Auto Block, the rope itself didn't want to 'wrap well' or sit tight. So, this year, I plan to add a VT Prusik. What seemed like an easy purchase is Not so easy:

The sewn prusik loop has 1 stitch/sewn seam to make the simple loop. 1 stitch better than 2, me thinks? And one big 'loop'.
    VT Prusik looks a lot like what they are now calling the 'Dynamic Lanyard': 2 stitches and 2 mini loops on a single line.

This presents 2 different types, many different lengths to choose from and then diameter: each with it's own advantage, for certain. Size, strength, versatility, price: Insert into the blender and all clarity is lost.

For me, the idea is to move from ghetto strap web and tied loops onto the sewn loop(s) and/or VT Prusik. The biggest question: WHAT LENGTH? Short (11" or 16"?) for the auto block ... and then for additional loops ... WHAT LENGTH would best compliment the auto block? Same length, or longer for versatility? Options range from 11" - 40". Choice of rope Diameters are from 6.5-8mm. Do the sewn loops replace slings?

Here is the web site I've been considering for purchase: Blue Water rope and Rich Carlson designed, me thinks?
    http://shop.blackjackmountainoutfitt...NYARD-7569.htm

Too many choices. Can someone suggest what might work best to prep for the season? Hopefully this rambling of questions becomes helpful to others who may wonder about the same??!

zul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is one Rich designed with bluewater http://www.adventurepluslc.com/canyo.../vtprusik.html
    The sheath is technora instead of nylon to better handle the heat generated from friction. Very durable. I've used one extensively and never had a need for more or less length. This one measures 32" end to end, so comparable to a 16" loop.

What did you mean by "Do the sewn loops replace slings?" ?

+2 on Rich's VT. I'm very happy with it.

Sewn Loop replace slings ... Strap webbing that is stitched into a loop. The sewn loop is made of 6-8mm rope while the typical sling is made of strap web - and then stitched into a loop.

Which should a fella purchase? Stitched Loops of strap web or rope?? Does one have an advantage over the other?

I wouldn't replace sewn web slings with sewn rope loops. They have different uses and each serve their purpose respectively. The VT is the most versatile sewn prusik I have found, depending on your situation there are different hitches you can tie because of the open ends. That said, I still carry a couple slings for other uses (rigging rescue systems, hanging packs, leashing to anchors, ect). Webbing slings are lighter and generally stronger (depending on the rope used) than sewn cord. Hope this is helpful.

I like to use webbing tied with water knots for my slings and personal anchoring. They can always be untied and used for other purposes if necessary. We all carry 2 prusiks of cord tied with double fishermans

I always carry Rich's VT with me, and for an emergency, two paracord loops tied with fisherman knots as necklaces.

Hope the necklaces always stay on. ;-)

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post