Thread: Looking to tag-along in the St George area

Looking to tag-along in the St George area

I recently was introduced to rappelling and I'm HOOKED!! A group of friends from California were kind enough to let me tag along on their Keyhole and Yankee Doodle trips. I've gone out and purchased some gear for my husband and I and we are looking to get started.

I'm hoping to find other groups to let us tag along for some experience. I'm keen on safety and I think actual trips with experienced folks will be our best resource to get started. If anyone doesn't mind a couple of tag-alongs on any trips around the St. George, Utah area please let me know.

I'm looking around this forum and it appears there are all sorts of knots and retreivable rigging I need to start getting acquainted with!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.N.E. View Post
    retreivable rigging I need to start getting acquainted with!
    Retreivable anchors are one of the very last things you should learn. It's nice to know how they work and have the ability to rig one, but most your typical recreational canyoneers will seldom, if ever actually need to use one. Spend your time, at least in the near future, learning and practicing the basics. You will be happy you did.

Sent u a pm

You can come with us anytime. We usually have a pretty broad range of experience levels on any given trip. Send me a message or stop by the store with some contact info and I'll hit you up next time we head out.

The address to the store is 765 N Bluff #D in St. George. I'm there most days

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Retreivable anchors are one of the very last things you should learn. It's nice to know how they work and have the ability to rig one, but most your typical recreational canyoneers will seldom, if ever actually need to use one. Spend your time, at least in the near future, learning and practicing the basics. You will be happy you did.

Noted! :thumbs: That's one of the reasons I want us going out with experienced groups. I'm a huge safety nerd, we even wear the Leatt braces when we ride our dirtbikes. I'll definitely approach canyoneering with same level of respect for safety. I'd like to prepare as much as possible so I can go out another day!

Well I'll be! The shop is about a mile or so from my house. I'll definitely stop by!

Quote Originally Posted by tcott View Post
    You can come with us anytime. We usually have a pretty broad range of experience levels on any given trip. Send me a message or stop by the store with some contact info and I'll hit you up next time we head out.

The address to the store is 765 N Bluff #D in St. George. I'm there most days

TJ

I generally have an open invite also

Welcome Lena, I was the one who got her hooked LOL. She did keyhole during Thanksgiving weekend and rented a dry suit. She did great for her first time. We were looking to do Pinecreek but that was to soon for her. We opted to try Yankee Doodle and it was perfect for her. A couple more easy canyons would really help them out. We have 3 trips planned for Zion already and she cant wait for us. So if anyone could help them out it would be greatly appriecated.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, and it is a little ways from St. George, but my brother and I are going to North Wash on Mar 14th-16th to run through the Irish canyons and get to know them a little better before trying to do the Jihad later in May. I have done the Middle and Right fork of Lep and the Right Fork of Shillelagh before, but the others are new to me. The route descriptions sound relatively easy with competent leadership.

Oh man! I wish I coulda gone. I had to travel unexpectedly, then my sister dropped in for a weekend with about 24 hours notice and the following weekend my folks did the same thing. The last 3 weeks have been nutty!
    I'm normally much better about responding, but thanks for the invite! Hopefully next one I get I can actually take the person up on the offer!! :)

And my canyon list grows ever longer! Mystery, Birch, Subway, Pine Creek, boom!! I'm totally loving this sport! Thanks to some of the contacts I've made via the site. TJ has been awesome with my questions each time I stop by. I'm practicing my knots at home like a geeky canyoneer but hey it's definitely less geeky than my day job of being a computer nerd right?!

If anyone has a trip planned for Aug 10, in the St George/Zion area I have a friend coming into town that is a climber that I'd like to get into canyoneering if you wouldn't mind 2 tag alongs. Thanks guys!!