Thread: New Ascender, RollNlock from Climbing Technology

New Ascender, RollNlock from Climbing Technology

Similar to the Kond Duck, but with an integrated pullen on the inside of the cam. You can lock the cam open and just use the pulley also.

Name:  rollnlock1.jpg
Views: 4117
Size:  74.1 KBName:  rollnlock4.jpg
Views: 3922
Size:  31.1 KBName:  rollnlock7.jpg
Views: 5429
Size:  30.7 KB

More info at http://www.adventurepluslc.com/canyo...rollnlock.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Have you gotten a chance to play around with this ascender yet? Any idea how it compares to the Petzl Micro Traxion? I am in the market for a new ascender......

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    Have you gotten a chance to play around with this ascender yet? Any idea how it compares to the Petzl Micro Traxion? I am in the market for a new ascender......
    Just got the first ones in yesterday. I've messed around with on the rope we have hanging in the store but haven't had it in the field yet. I've always been a fan of the Kong Duck and the addition of the pulley just makes it that much better. Biggest difference I can see in the RollNlock vs the Micro Traxion is the Traxion uses the sharp spike style teeth where the RollNlock uses a cam with ridges on it. Also because of the flat cam you can use the RollNlock on slings to adjust the length of your safety tether when clipping in to anchors.

Looks interesting. Is it made in the USA?

Edit: Made in Italy -

http://www.climbingtechnology.it/en-...?idproduct=989

Quote Originally Posted by tcott View Post
    ...because of the flat cam you can use the RollNlock on slings to adjust the length of your safety tether when clipping in to anchors.
    Looks like a cool device, but...

Attachment 63990

The " ∆! " and " OK! " are a mixed message, and note: "Exceptional Use"

Appears the mfg is conflicted over touting this feature. I would not trust it w/o seeing test data on different slings w/variables (material, width thickness, conditions, etc.)

Then again, I probably wouldn't use this feature anyway, as I prefer simpler adjustment via sling length, anchor extension, etc. Just saying.

7. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Appears the mfg is conflicted over touting this feature. I would not trust it w/o seeing test data on different slings w/variables (material, width thickness, conditions, etc.)

Then again, I probably wouldn't use this feature anyway, as I prefer simpler adjustment via sling length, anchor extension, etc. Just saying.
    How does it look "confused"? The picture just seems to indicate you don't leave the end loose so it can slip completely through? Doesn't "exceptional use" just mean a non standardized setup?

Edit: Just saying a see zero dangers with this, even if the device failed completely you would still be attached yeah?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    How does it look "confused"? The picture just seems to indicate you don't leave the end loose so it can slip completely through? Doesn't "exceptional use" just mean a non standardized setup?

Edit: Just saying a see zero dangers with this, even if the device failed completely you would still be attached yeah?
    For me, the confused/perceived conflict is "OK" combined with the warning triangle and "exceptional use" language.

My main concern would be the possibility of the device cutting (fully or partially) through the lanyard webbing if the setup gets shock-loaded. Not saying this would happen, but would like to see testing.

Paranoiacally yours,

hank
    Last edited by hank moon; 03-07-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post

You would still be attached, but you would also shock load the anchor, which could possibly cause anchor failure.

cost and weight?
    never saw or heard thatt brand before
    from the site looks more they are trying to get the ferrata business!!!
    so not much market in USA for those gizmo squeezing locking biners

its very new in design, no track history - lets see its failure mode - to see if we like that or not!

I'm still interested in some critiques of this devise if anyone has tested it out.

Weight - 3 oz (80 grams)
    Cost- $85

I wonder how well the ridges will work on this device. Wild Country ended up recalling their Ropeman 3 when they switched from teeth to ridges:
    http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/communi...ice_Ropeman_3/

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm still interested in some critiques of this devise if anyone has tested it out.

Weight - 3 oz (80 grams)
    Cost- $85
    I had the "opportunity" to try it out yesterday thanks to a stuck rope on the Mystery springs rap. It was very smooth traveling up the rope. I had the ascender attached directly to my harness and put a neck lanyard on it to pull it up as I progressed. After i got a few feet off the ground I pulled up some slack and tied it in a coil to add some rope weight below me and the ascender was self minding thereafter. I was also using a duck with a footloop as a top ascender. Wasn't a bad climb for being over 100'.

Thanks. I havn't had a chance to use mine yet, although I hope I don't have too