Thread: Grand Gulch questions

Grand Gulch questions

Hello all! I really appreciate the information on this site. I will be doing a 4 day Grand Gulch excursion with my mother March 29 to April 1. She is 67 and loves the desert. Grand Gulch will be a first for both of us. I am considering dropping a car at Collins Spring and going in at Kane Ranger Station. Are there shuttles or rides available, or is there a more scenic entrance/exit? Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

No shuttles are available, but if you do the Kane/Bullet Loop it is usually easy to grab a ride with other hikers. Also, easter weekend is very popular there, so get a campsite early. Kane Gulch to Collins is possible in four days, but is fairy long since there is much to see. Also, consider coming out the Government Trail.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks for the reply Scott. Please forgive my ignorance, but it's designated camp sites? I will look into the back country permit today. How long would the loop be coming out the Government trail?

I've hiked and backpacked there many, many times...and in your situation, this is what I would do:

Drop off a car at the Government Trail trailhead, then drive back to Bullet Canyon and start your backpack there. Going down Bullet, when you get to the confluence of the Grand, camp there and spend half the next day exploring the ruins upstream...the best ones upcanyon are pretty close by.

Be back at camp by 2p.m., pack up and head down the Gulch until your ready to stop and camp for the 2nd night. Lots of ruins to see, and you shouldn't be in a big hurry because you have plenty of time for this trip.

Hike out the Government Trail to your car. This is shorter than going all the way to Collins, but much more manageable and you won't feel like you have to hustle, thereby missing stuff.

Kane to Collins is pretty ambitious for 4 nights, no problem for fit hikers but your mom, at her age, is likely to be tuckered after 2 days moving at that pace. The route I just described is a good one...lots of ruins and a leisurely pace.

When you get to the ranger station, they will tell you how to get to both trailheads...it's easy and regular cars can do it. Camping in the canyons is "at large", Scott was talking about camping off the dirt roads up there...as most spots may be taken by the crowds. If that's the case, then drive down the road towards John's canyon or the road leading to the Goosenecks, you should find a place to pitch a tent there. Otherwise, you could stay in Blanding, get up really early for the drive to GG, it's about 40 mins. Any other questions?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

The routes are detailed here, including GPS waypoints and maps locating the ruins.

Bullet Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/CM/bullet.htm

Kane To Bullet is also a good backpack:
    http://climb-utah.com/CM/uppergrand.htm

Here are the details of the Government Trail (Big Man) and more ruins:
    http://climb-utah.com/CM/bigman.htm

Kane to Bullet, Or Kane to The Government Trail are pretty easy to work out shuttles or thumb a ride between trailheads, a mountain bike also works really well. Kane to Collins not nearly as easy.

Thanks Byron and Iceaxe. I really appreciate the info and help, and the links. Much appreciated.