Thread: Subway in the News!

Subway in the News!

I noticed the Subway in Zion NP is all over the news today.

First I noticed the Subway made the front page of Yahoo

Utah's nature-made subway ride is Bucket List worthy

Here is an article that appeared today in the UK news.

Inside nature's subway: The stunning Zion Natural Park Subway

And in the pat yourself on the back department. The video about halfway down the page is one of mine.

2. Likes WorkBad liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I also saw that Utah tourism used one of your vids to showcase Rock of Ages in Moab on my G+ news feed.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

I didn't see "Canyonero" from Bogley Nights posing on the log in his undies....

And on the advertise-your-age department, my very 1st time through the Subway was when I was a senior in high school. I did it with my bro-in-law, and we didn't see ONE SINGLE person in or out of the entire stretch of the Subway from top to bottom.

My how times have changed for the worse.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    My how times have changed for the worse.
    When I first did Heaps we were the first group through in two years.

When I first did Pine Creek it was not uncommon for only one group a week to do the route.

Those damn canyoneering websites and forums have ruined it for old-timers.

7. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Apparently, the Zion park rangers had known of The Subway for years, and had been keeping it hush hush. Then the popularity of the internet began to pick up steam in the early 90's, and it only took a few posts of the subway online to generate a "viral stampede" to that secret canyon in Utah with the waterfalls and tunnel-like features.

Very cool! That article on the UK news site has some sweet pictures.

The sport has really blossomed over the last 10+ years. There were very few websites with beta and forums discussing the sport 10 years ago. It was introduced to me by @rockgremlin 8-9 years ago when Bogley was started.

Today new beta sites are popping up all over and it seems like the term "canyoneering" is becoming more widely known. It'll be interesting to see how the sport evolves over the next 10 years.

Perhaps more rope swing's like this will find their way into the sport?

I first did the Subway in Sept 2000 (bottom-up, no technical stuff), and the two of us were pretty much the only ones at the walk-in desk that morning.

We certainly didn't see anyone else all day on the route.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Apparently, the Zion park rangers had known of The Subway for years, and had been keeping it hush hush. Then the popularity of the internet began to pick up steam in the early 90's, and it only took a few posts of the subway online to generate a "viral stampede" to that secret canyon in Utah with the waterfalls and tunnel-like features.
    The Subway came to prominence in the late 60's or early 70's when National Geographic did a big feature article on the place. The permits were added after the Boy Scouts held a national jemboree (early 1990's?) in southern Utah and sent a couple thousand scouts down the route during the week long jamboree and trashed the place.

12. Likes ghawk liked this post
    I'll just leave this here...
    Name:  2012 Zion Das Boot (174) [Facebook].JPG
Views: 605
Size:  170.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    I'll just leave this here...
    Sweet picture.

15. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    Look at that green, clear water!

17. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Now there are people running all over the place
    Attached Images Attached Images  

19. Likes WorkBad, blueeyes, tanya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    Now there are people running all over the place
    R U kidding? That is disrespectful. Let them go run on a road.

great, like permits arn't already hard enough to get ...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    R U kidding? That is disrespectful. Let them go run on a road.
    So would it be disrespectful for you to walk on the road? Not sure I understand the reasoning

with a little effort permits are pretty easy to get. I got 3 last year

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    And in the pat yourself on the back department. The video about halfway down the page is one of mine.
    That's huge, nice job

I might be seeing a lot more of the Subway this year.

The Subway came to prominence in the late 60's or early 70's when National Geographic did a big feature article on the place.

Kesley had the canyon is his book starting in 1985 (brief description) and then the Green Book came out in 1988. The green book did seem to have a big effect as we didn't see anyone in there before that, but certainly did after (and many of them had the green book with them). Before the green book, it was the Black Book where everyone got their beta for such places (though the magazines also had a huge effect of course).

The permits were added after the Boy Scouts held a national jemboree (early 1990's?) in southern Utah and sent a couple thousand scouts down the route during the week long jamboree and trashed the place.

I think it was around 800, rather than thousands.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS, is the Black Book still in usage anymore? Now with so much information available, do many people still check it?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    PS, is the Black Book still in usage anymore? Now with so much information available, do many people still check it?
    It's been 10 years since I last saw the black book. At one time Tom was posting pages from it. What would be cool is if someone digitized the pages from it to preserve the history.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3