Thread: Intrepid trails at Dead Horse this weekend

Intrepid trails at Dead Horse this weekend

Not a mountain biker, but I want to give it a shot. Pulled my 12 yr old Raleigh M80 out of my parents storage unit, got a tune up (guy at the bike shop thought I was joking I think) and I was thinking of going south this weekend. Is it too early in the year for areas off standard slick rock routes? Worried about snowmelt and biking through soup, not only do i not want it to suck but i don't want to destroy the trail. Is it the type of trail you can still ride in wet conditions? Better suggestions?
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think you'll be fine down south unless it has rained within the last day or so, or if there's currently snow on the trail, which I don't know either.

But generally you'll be fine I think. Here's the weather widget, keep an eye on it. If it ends up raining, try to do a trail with more slickrock on it.

Thanks for the info- I saw your video of the paved canyon parkway, might have to stick to that if its too wet. Do the loops around the bar M trail have any slick rock?

You could always try the SlickRock trail if you've never done it. It's a good one to get on the portfolio at least once in your life

Quote Originally Posted by 8315421 View Post
    Thanks for the info- I saw your video of the paved canyon parkway, might have to stick to that if its too wet. Do the loops around the bar M trail have any slick rock?
    The Circle O trail in the Bar M area is almost exclusively slickrock. That would be a decent place to get your feet wet on slickrock and see what you think. To get to Circle O, you have to cross a little road that bisects the trails system. This road is dirt. If the parking lot is gooey and muddy, expect more of the same until you get onto the actual slickrock of Circle O.

Details Here:
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/circle-o.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    You could always try the SlickRock trail if you've never done it. It's a good one to get on the portfolio at least once in your life
    I always cringe a little bit at this suggestion. I don't agree that after 12 years of not riding and having a bike that is quite old that Slickrock is the best place to start. I do agree that it is a must ride, but I think you are much better off riding something like Circle O, or Bartlett Wash first. Slickrock is great fun, but nobody seems to remember that it can also be fairly dangerous for the unacclimatized. There's a reason that it has the highest, per rider injury rate of any trail down there. I can't even count how many scout troops and families in jeans and backwards helmets I have seen that have turned around 1/4 mile into the ride. Oops, rant off.

Go ride Circle O. If you want harder, steeper, and more fun. Then try Slickrock.

7. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    I second what Neil said. People seem to think the Slickrock trail is a beginner trail and I've even come across trail-guides that state it as such. It is not. It is much more advanced than that. I've seen Young Women's group girls crying because they were so terrified (and they too were all in jeans). I've seen a 4-Runner turn into a fireball after sliding/tumbling sideways down an embankment. That's the type of terrain you're dealing with on the Slickrock trail.
    Are we there yet?

9. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    I should have been more specific in my post, to give the practice loop a try first, and to continue on if that felt comfortable.

I agree it's 100% not a beginner trail. I see all ages on there because it's the "Most famous bike trail" but almost every one of them are unprepared.

11. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I should have been more specific in my post, to give the practice loop a try first, and to continue on if that felt comfortable.

I agree it's 100% not a beginner trail. I see all ages on there because it's the "Most famous bike trail" but almost every one of them are unprepared.
    Agreed.

Thank you for your recommendation.

My intention is to ride my 12 yr old hard tail until, 1: I find I love biking so much I destroy it, or 2: find I can't stand it and give it up. Either way I know the actual slickrock trail is out of my league for a while. Not only for my own safety but I know nobody else wants to deal with biking behind or having to pass a noob on a technical trail.