Thread: Snake Gulch - Can it be done as a "one way" (shuttle)?

Snake Gulch - Can it be done as a "one way" (shuttle)?

Hello group,

I'm researching Snake Gulch (near Freedonia, AZ) as an upcoming rock art trip. The descriptions I've read indicate there is great rock art and ruins the full length of the gulch. It shows 10 miles to the end (Wildband Spring and Trailhead) and 10 miles return.

Question is: is the "Wildband Spring and Trailhead" really a trailhead? or is it just a turnaround point? I'm hoping that we can access Wildband Spring Trailhead and park a shuttle there and then do the canyon as a one way trip. Can it be done?

Thanks
    wade

2. Likes tanya liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

When I hiked Snake Gulch with Tanya, we parked at the upper end of Snake Gulch and beat quickly to cover the hike to Wildband Spring in a short time. We then turned around and took our time coming back as the light for photography was much better in the early afternoon. It looks as though you could get a vehicle out on top of the plateau nearby to the Spring, but I'm not sure how the trail might be dropping down off the plateau into Snake Gulch?

5. Likes tanya liked this post
    Thx Bo

7. Likes tanya liked this post
    OK, here's the scoop...been there, done it.

The road leading out to Willow Spring is the one I took...it's #237. I parked at the end of it and just made my way down the hill to the bottom of the Gulch, then I explored upstream looking at all the ruins and rock art. It was easy, I was by myself and needed no rope...however, I'm very athletic and a good rock climber, but I don't recall it being a problem at all...no hand over fist stuff. I camped there the first night (as I arrived late in the afternoon) and looked around for a trail, but found none.

I can't vouch for the road on the north side leading out to Gunsight Point, but I remember studying it and determining that the way I went was best. I spent about 5 or 6 hours down there and pretty much saw the best of it. There is one panel that has a man with an erect penis shooting out children (no kidding). Mike Kelsey's Canyon Hiking Guide has the route and maps...you can even zoom in on it with the Google satellite. You can stop at the ranger station in Fredonia for more info, too.

As I made my way down the hill, I found this bottle. It's pretty old, from the early to mid sixties, I reckon. Someone tossed it over the edge but it survived intact, as it's super thick glass. Pretty nifty find!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

9. Likes tanya, blueeyes liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    The guys covered what you need to know, but I want to add the rock art in there is great! I loved that hike too because it was fairly flat. I could keep up with Bo more or less.

11. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Big THANK YOU to all. We appreciate the guidance. Looks like I'll give it a shot next week )before the summer heat).

Cool bottle Byron.

Thanks.
    Wade

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

13. Likes tanya liked this post