Thread: Sand Hollow Camping.

Sand Hollow Camping.

I'm headed down to sand hollow the weekend after Easter (April 4th) and I was wondering if there are any dispersed (free) campgrounds close enough to have direct ATV access to the dunes. I was looking at the website for the state park campsites and they look terrible! People crammed in right next to each other surrounded by nothing but sage brush. All for only $28 a night! Anyway, if anyone is familiar with the area and can give me some advice I'd sure appreciate it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Anywhere in/near Warner Valley. From there, you can climb the red rock and gain access to the dunes from the back side.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Thanks for the info @BruteForce I'll check that out.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Just as a follow-up. Most of Sand Hallow is fenced off, so if you camp in Warner Valley (great area, BTW), just follow the fence line until you see an "opening".. Plenty of openings along the fence line where you can access the sand dunes. I think the higher-up dunes are the best fun (for about 15 minutes worth), before I hit the rocks/dirt again.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Head up Washington Dam rd. When you get over the fist little hill on the dirt road just look left and right.
    Free camping everywhere but on weekends some kids come to this area to party like the rest of the areas in Warner Valley on week ends.

I'll be in Moab that weekend or I would meet and greet to show you in.
    Go to Google Earth and it will all make since.
    I live close and ride this stuff all the time on a motorcycle.

I can make a photo with google earth to show you what I'm talking about if you want?
    Plus there is some other great areas that will do the same for what your asking.
    Nice and close with easy access to the dunes.
    Let me know.
    And what ever you do have fun!

Just remember that the State Park is a very little part of this area and needs Flags and the rest is BLM camp and ride where ever you choose.
    It is designated as open ride country but comes with those risks as well so don't go bombing stuff in high speed fashion until you get to know this country.
    There are some cliffs and washes that appear from just about anywhere way to fast to stop. Even the dunes are a bit tricky for high speed stuff because of the bluff they sit on.

Just don't ask me how I learned this LOL

The thing is if you camp up at the end of washington dam rd. The wind is much more tame there than anywhere else as a general rule.
    But keep an eye out for nails and screws from them partying local kids that have a good supply of pallets to burn.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Kokopelli are you coming down with a toy hauler, Motor Home or tents or?

Personally I have never even seen the state park but from afar.
    Why pay to camp just to be closer to you neighbor than back home is the way I see it.

But then again I park out side Goblin Valley state park and walked in to get access to the free showers.
    Just saying it's nice after a few days in the desert and lord only knows some of my taxes helped to pay for them.

But then again I don't do pay camp grounds unless the event is worth it.

I may have to pay to get into the worcs race about two weeks after this if I decide to try to take this one on however.
    I only wish they would shit can the transponders and do check points.$$$$$$
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

@BruteForce thanks for the advice about the fence, that's good to know.

@Mtnseeker1 Thanks for your suggestions. I will be coming down with a toyhauler. Possibly with two others in tent trailers. A Google picture would be great. I looked and followed Washington Dam Rd. and saw an open area with lots of tracks that may be the area your talking about, but I'm not sure. I agree with you about not staying in pay campgrounds just to be closer to your neighbor than you are at home. As a general rule I avoid improved campgrounds at all costs. What I would really like to find is a nice secluded spot where I can feel like I'm alone, like the one @Udink stayed at in his southern utah trip report Name:  IMG_2782.JPG
Views: 2300
Size:  68.8 KB However I know the chance of finding a spot like this on spring break weekend is pretty rare. But I don't mind driving several miles down a dirt road to get to a better spot. When I go to Goblin Valley my favorite place to stay is back in the rocks on the road out to little wild horse. I tried to go there on Easter weekend 2 years ago and had to turn around because it was PACKED. I ended up driving clear out to chute canyon road which was almost as bad but I was actually able to find a nice private spot though it wasn't easy to get in or out of. So what I'm saying is I know that it will be a busy weekend so I can't be too choosy about where I stay but any advice would be great. I will be coming down Thursday, so that may help me to get a better spot.

If you're pulling a toy hauler, it'll be nearly impossible to find a secluded camp spot on a weekend. I found a couple of secluded spots but it was February and both spots required fairly serious 4WD through sand or up steep slickrock to get there. :)

As mentioned already, at the end of the Washington Dam road there's a big area at 37
    Blog | FB

@Udink thanks for the info. I checked out those coords and I think your right it may be impossible to find a secluded spot. The area at the end of Washington Dam road looks like it'd probably be about the same as camping in the state park, as far as you would probably have neighbors right next. The spots on the East side look like they will probably be less busy, but do you still have easy access to the sand dunes and all of the trails in the area? What about 37

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    The spots on the East side look like they will probably be less busy, but do you still have easy access to the sand dunes and all of the trails in the area?
    There's still good access to the dunes from the east side. It may be a couple of miles longer than the access from the west side, but perhaps that's why it's less busy on that side.

[QUOTE=Kokopelli;528978]What about 37
    Blog | FB

There is basically three areas that most use to get in.
    1- Wahington dam road.
    2- What most refer to as the Water tank (heavy with construction right now for the new air port road)
    3-The Hurricane entrance just past the neighbor hood air port. By far the easiest to find as the directions to it are very simple. But for camping and a 5th wheel it starts to get a little bit confusing. But it is pretty straight forward access wise.

Name:  Camping suggestions for the fithwheel unit..jpg
Views: 2250
Size:  97.2 KB

Get with Udink cause he just plain rocks on how to show you google earth and routes that will help you out most.
    But from the sounds of things I would suggest the Hurricane entrance.
    Either way left me know and I can get you in close enough so you can have fun.
    The south pin is my suggestion for camping but you'll want to come in from Hurricane.
    Some refer to it as moonscape or the purple dunes. Forget the red and lime colored tracks that you see the are hard core motorcycle single tracks in through the cliffs.

Thanks for that info @Mtnseeker1 It's kind of funny but I've actually been to that spot you suggested. A long time ago, the year I got my first atv, my wife and I went down to hurricane for our anniversary and did the "honeymoon trail" which took me right to the "hard atv dunes" pictures near your place mark. My wife was on the ATV (Prarrie 650) and I was on my bike (WR250F). I also remember some trail down in that area called something like rattlesnake gulch or something that was a lot of fun. Shortly after we left that area we got terribly lost and ended up in Washington city on the pavement and we rode the pavement all the way back to where we unloaded which was near the small airport. We never did get out onto the dunes or into the state park, which was our plan. I kind of forgot about that trip. We stayed in a Hotel, so I wasn't really paying attention to camping opportunities then. Plus it was about 5 years ago so I wouldn't remember anyway. Thanks again for your help, I'm looking forward even more to my trip now!

Some pics from that trip.
    Name:  2009 04 23_1460.jpg
Views: 2178
Size:  64.7 KBName:  2009 04 23_1462.jpg
Views: 2262
Size:  107.3 KB

I was out there today and the sand blow over area coming in from the water tank will be a no go for trailers.
    Be advised.
    I think your best bet is from the east side. (Hurricane) way in but the weather will get close to or will hit 80* this week and that will bring everyone.

Speaking of Sand Hollow, anyone know what the short/long term impact of the new parkway will be on riding in the washington dam area?

Looks like construction is taking the road from the washington fields side of warner valley up the washington dam wash & over/across sand hollow - all the points I currently access warner valley. It would really suck if they close off access!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    I was out there today and the sand blow over area coming in from the water tank will be a no go for trailers.
    Be advised.
    I think your best bet is from the east side. (Hurricane) way in but the weather will get close to or will hit 80* this week and that will bring everyone.
    Thanks for the update @Mtnseeker1 One more question for you, since you're a local. Do you know of a place near the state park that I could fill my water tank on my trailer. I know it's kind of dumb, but I hate to pull my trailer that far (nearly 400 miles) full of water. The extra 900+ lbs does make a differance. Thanks!