Thread: U Turn Canyon, Arches National Park

U Turn Canyon, Arches National Park

Wife and I took a jaunt through U Turn Canyon 28 February 2013. Weather was in the 20's at night and during the day was in high 60's maybe even into the 70's.

We brought along with us a 165ft rope, 200ft pull cord, 110ft of webbing, helmets, loads of gummy bears, and heads full of wonder. This was our first descent of U Turn.
    Due to the canyons northern exposure, depth and high surrounding cliffs, it has remained icy and snowy. Compared to its counterpart (Tierdrop) next door this one was still in the throes of winter.

Please only use the washes to and from this canyon. This is a high profile area inside a national park where people are watching what you do, especially on the entrance and exit! Now is the time to be on your best behavior and show everyone that you care about your park access.

Aerial view of the route, courtesy of a pic I made from Google Earth.
    Name:  U Turn [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  97.1 KB

This pic from the asphalt road looking toward the crack climb necessary to gain the saddle.
    Name:  IMG_3422 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  74.1 KB

This is what the crack looks like from midway up it.
    Name:  IMG_3455 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1156
Size:  146.6 KB
    And another shot from the very top looking down.
    Name:  IMG_3428 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  88.6 KB

From the saddle we turned right and headed to the first stone dome, which we went left around.
    Immediately after this dome we went straight up and over the next dome, right of the diving board looking rock.
    Name:  IMG_3459 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  79.2 KB

After the second dome you will come to something that looks like this, well actually exactly like this
    Name:  IMG_3462 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  63.0 KB
    One of the boulders in the above image is supposed to be bolted. I'm not sure because in my glee I didn't even know this was a rap and we accidentally down climbed it.

Next rap is from two bolts left down canyon behind two massive boulders. People have been slinging the large boulder in the drainage, probably unaware of the bolts, and its soft stone is showing wear.
    Name:  IMG_3463 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  76.4 KB
    Here is a shot of where the anchor is located after taking the short rappel. We pulled the rope from as far back as possible to eliminate the chance of further rope pull grooves.
    Name:  IMG_3467 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1207
Size:  100.6 KB

After this rap the drainage shoots out into a huge bowl, that for us was covered in snow and ice. I think we were supposed to be able to down climb this in normal conditions. It was treacherous this day. We built a retrievable anchor off a Juniper and gently descended to an anchor 40-50 feet below.
    Name:  IMG_3470 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1210
Size:  103.4 KB

The next anchor I had to free from the snow and ice. Once inspected we lowered ourselves down a short free hanging section. Again we got far enough back that our pull didn't leave any further rope pull grooves.
    Name:  IMG_3475 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1131
Size:  112.2 KB

A short hike to the lower large terrace brought us to the Wile Coyote rock for some great shots.
    Name:  IMG_3480 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1119
Size:  83.9 KB

We walked back along the ridge, did the final rap and made our way back to the car following the drainage. Back to camp for some chow and a good nights rest.

Have fun and be safe out there!

2. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

UTurn was our families first real canyoneering adventure and will always love that little gem.

Thanks for the beautiful pics and another fine TR.

Thanks for the compliments Dave! My wife and I enjoyed your families U Turn TR as well.

Nice report! Looks like a great day for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    One of the boulders in the above image is supposed to be bolted. I'm not sure because in my glee I didn't even know this was a rap and we accidentally down climbed it.
    For wondering minds, the bolt is tucked in underneath the down-canyon side of the Right boulder (RDC). But yes, an easy downclimb.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    We built a retrievable anchor off a Juniper and gently descended to an anchor 40-50 feet below.
    The next anchor I had to free from the snow and ice. Once inspected we lowered ourselves down a short free hanging section.
    We did U-Turn a week ago and didn't see that lower anchor (it was a tad bit after dark). We ended up being forced left when we hit the bowl. We didn't even look for another anchor below the tree because we usually 'downclimb' a crack and I hadn't noticed an anchor before. We didn't try to use the tree alone due to rope length. I'd love to know where that lower anchor is! Do you have any photos?

Burley, wife is rapping straight down the drainage after the drop. Same image as before, now with label goodness!
    Name:  IMG_3470 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 993
Size:  143.0 KB

BTW, I like your pic, mine was taken from almost the exact same spot but looking up

10. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Thanks for the info WorkBad, I'll have to look for that anchor next time through, a good reminder to keep a very open mind about options. Great trip reports recently BTW, thanks!