Thread: Elephant Butte, Arches National Park

Elephant Butte, Arches National Park

I've done many canyons but this is my first Bogley TripReport! I hope the pics work out with the resolution I selected. Be safe out there. Enjoy!

Wife and I did Elephant Butte 1 March 2013. Neither of us have done this one before. Armed with a GPS, way points, trail description, 165ft rope, 200ft pull cord, 120ft of webbing, ascending gear, helmets, and sense of adventure we went for it. We still found ourselves confused at times so here are some pics to help the next guy/gal.

Picture of the start canyon with large boulders.
    Name:  IMG_3545 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 7857
Size:  81.9 KB

We hiked up until we got to the crack. It is here that we met up with a novice group willing to share in the adventure.

Notice the lovely snow covered slope we thought we were going to ascend, didn't happen. I ended up climbing up the crack which wasn't too bad, then belayed the wife up. Once at the top we went left. 10 feet north(left) on the right hand side there is a break in the wall which allows easy passage east and into a "sandy" (snowy) bowl.
    Name:  IMG_3496 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 2160
Size:  161.5 KB
    Wife on Belay. Guy in the background is from the other group.
    Name:  IMG_3497 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1535
Size:  143.5 KB

The sandy bowl was not sandy at all but full of snow and ice. Here is a pic of where we came from in the background and what we needed to get up. That is solid ice, I defeated the slope by getting a running start and flopping onto my belly like a penguin. It wasn't pretty I'm sure.
    Name:  IMG_3501 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  83.9 KB

Once up this slope we found ourselves in yet another type of bowl full of snow. Below the arrow you can see the other group getting their members up the icy slope which we just defeated. My wife is looking at the next obstacle behind me (I took the photo).
    Name:  IMG_3502 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  63.8 KB
    Next obstacle!
    Name:  IMG_3503 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1526
Size:  152.5 KB
    Same obstacle looking down this time. Notice my wife, the only one with a helmet on.
    Name:  IMG_3504 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  54.9 KB

We kept going up this drainage and eventually came to a very small bowl with a medium sized boulder in the bottom. This is where we encountered the 5.4 exposed ledge which I did with my 5.10 canyoneers. Something to note, there seemed to be two different ways to go but I promise only one way is correct. Take the harder looking route south and out of the small bowl. I got up without incident and the wife ascended off a set aider while on belay.
    Name:  IMG_3506 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1492
Size:  177.0 KB

Here is a pic looking back down at the the medium sized boulder.
    Name:  IMG_3508 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  57.1 KB

Further south we gained the lip and carefully lowered ourselves to the large gathering area above rap 1 (60ft). Anchor webbing is in good shape and properly lengthened to prevent rope pull grooves. At the staging area for rap one we could clearly see our route to the summit.
    Name:  IMG_3509 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1543
Size:  176.1 KB

After rap 1 we pulled our ropes and down climbed the remaining 20 feet to the canyon floor. This is me using my assets to get down.
    Name:  IMG_3517 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1443
Size:  95.5 KB

We carefully worked our way up the steep sandstone face and gained the summit. There is a lot of exposure on the way up and down, choosing the best route is crucial for safety.
    Pic from the summit.
    Name:  IMG_3525 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  73.0 KB
    We then were ready to come back down.
    This is the approx route we took to get down. Pic taken from Google Earth, followed by a pic I took from the top looking down. I think the key is to be sure to get onto the south side of the giant crack in the Butte that runs diagonal "/" "forward slash" (lol) when looking east on a map.
    Name:  Elephant Butte [Facebook].jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  88.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3533 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1512
Size:  171.6 KB

After getting to the bottom of the proper drainage things went really smooth and fast. There was only a couple of slides into fresh powder and a step over a couple of frozen pools. The final rappel was a little spooky to get out to because of the ice. Anchor off three pitons was in great shape.
    Name:  IMG_3539 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1437
Size:  103.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3541 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1442
Size:  103.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3542 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1365
Size:  129.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3544 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 1606
Size:  116.6 KB

Back to the car in 6 hours, the ice and snow made this even harder I'm sure.
    Back to camp then 190 mile drive home!

2. Likes hikster11, Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great trip report! Looks like it will be in prime condition in a few more weeks. Unless you like all that snow and ice stuff. Well done!

Blog Entries
    Wow! Awesome First TR!

I saw your post on candition earlier... So this is who you are.

Love the directions on your pics.

Elephant is a good one, although the ice makes for a fun challenge.

And Welcome to Bogley.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks Jolly G. and jman!

I really enjoyed your first TR! Beautiful pics.

Thank You Brian and Sandstone! I've enjoyed everyone's trip reports and comments through the years.

Great first TR.... thanks.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Excellent TR. I bet it was tricky with that snow and ice, but you guys made it work.

12. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Loved the pictures with arrows on where to go! Fantastic write-up, and great job!

14. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    great write up and pics...
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

16. Likes WorkBad liked this post