Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canyoneering shoes

Canyoneering shoes

Last year, I did five canyons in the Cedar Mesa area and used a pair of brand new New Balance MT411 trail runners. They gripped really well and made it through the trip, but by the end, they were starting to split open and the tread on the bottom was worn away an amazing amount.

I'm wondering if anyone has a reasonably priced shoe that will hold up to at least two canyoneering trips this year. Three or more canyons in North Wash is the first trip and then five or more canyons in Escalante, including Choprock is the second trip. I know about five tens and may have to go that route, but was hoping to keep cost down on shoes if possible.

Thanks for any tips.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have 5.10 savants that I seam-gripped the crap out of preemptively. They kick ass. They are discontinued though, look around, you might be able to snag a pair. Another option is the 5.10 guide tennies I used a hot nail to melt holes in the canvas to allow drainage. Also a killer grippy shoe.

I used approach shoes. So far. The only exception was my last trip, more hiking than anything, new North Face boots, and they came unbonded at the perimeter of the laced section. Both boots!!!North Face replaced them.

Exception: wife and I rented Canyoneers for the Zion Narrows hike and 5mm socks. That worked out great.

Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post
    I know about five tens and may have to go that route, but was hoping to keep cost down on shoes if possible.
    In the long run you will spend more money on destroying 'lesser' shoes. Just get the 5.10 Canyoneers. Other shoes have eyelets and seams that get chewed up in the NW and Escalante.

Also, get new insoles before you take your 5.10's out. The stock 5.10 insoles suck. Famous Footware has good insoles for cheap.

Finally, I hope you post a Choprock TR when you get back. I'm on the fence about doing it this year and would love to hear about your perspective upon your return.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

If you look around sometimes you can find used 5.10's for pretty cheap that still have some life in them too, I guess it just depends on how long you want them for.

Chacos. I took my pro-sole Chacos through 50+ canyons and they held up through all of them. They're WAY more comfortable than the 5.10 Canyoneers and they're more multifunctional. You can't really use the Canyoneers for anything except canyoneering - and my friends will usually carry different shoes for the approach and exit and just the the Canyoneers for the canyon. But you definitely LOOK more like a canyoneer if you wear the 5.10s!
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Is this the pair of Chacos you have XX? http://www.backcountry.com/chaco-ted...1-001b2166c2c0
    I found these on ebay for $25 shipped. Hard to beat that price to test out for at least one trip.
    Name:  avia1.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  47.1 KBName:  avia.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  41.7 KB

Thanks for all the advice!

Ok, I found a pair of previously owned (looks like never used) 5.10 Insights on ebay for next to nothing! I'm set on canyoneering shoes for a while. Ah yeah!

Ok, I found a pair of previously owned (looks like never used) 5.10 Insights on ebay for next to nothing! I'm set on canyoneering shoes for a while. Ah yeah!

Note: Zion Adventure Co. in Springdale sells off used Canyoneers at the end of every season for $10.00 a pair - well worth it to pick up a couple pair.

Oh man that's good to know! Is that online or on site?

Blog Entries
    Oh man that's good to know! Is that online or on site?
    In person. Get there early when you can cause all the common sizes will be taken first.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Do they sell them all off at the end of the season?

The reason I ask is I went in there last August and asked them when they planned on selling off the current rental stock (I'd seen this posted before) and the salesman told me that they don't sell them all at the end of the season, they sell them as they wear out. He directed me to a rack outside the store and after seeing them, I could see why they were only $10. I would still buy a pair, but I'd plan on spending at least $25 at the local cobbler to get a few more miles out of them...

I hope I got bad info and someone can set me straight.

Well...when I was there, it was a mix. Yeah, they did put stuff out as it wore out, but there was definitely a larger, end-season inspection that resulted in a bunch of stuff being put out all at once. So, both things are kinda true. It's very informal.

17. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    I have 5.10 savants that I seam-gripped the crap out of preemptively. They kick ass. They are discontinued though, look around, you might be able to snag a pair.
    X2 for the Savants, I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    In the long run you will spend more money on destroying 'lesser' shoes. Just get the 5.10 Canyoneers. Other shoes have eyelets and seams that get chewed up in the NW and Escalante.
    I've never actually owned a pair, but everyone I've talked to about the 5.10 canyoneers absolutely hates them. One even went as far as saying they were the worst shoes he's ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by tcott View Post
    I've never actually owned a pair, but everyone I've talked to about the 5.10 canyoneers absolutely hates them. One even went as far as saying they were the worst shoes he's ever owned.
    Yeah it is kind of a love/hate relationship with those shoes. New insoles completely change how you will feel about them at the end of a long day. I really like the 5.10's straps because I've severed a few laces in the North Wash, and torn out a couple of eyelets. Those are a pain to fix when you are in-canyon. I'm very hard on my gear, so my Savant's didn't even last 10 canyons.

There are some things that could be improved on the 5.10 Canyoneers: They could improve the little rubber thing that holds the straps down. They could make them for women's feet (my wife hates hers). They are ugly and heavy.

On the plus side, they stay tight on your feet, never come unlaced, drain well, keep the sand out, and are very tough. Obviously, it depends on what's most important to you, but I like em.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5.10 Canyoneers. Love 'em and hate 'em, but wouldn't use anything else. I take extra dry socks to put on for the long hike back out.

I love my canyoneers. They are the shizzle. Plus, I don't think the insoles are a huge issue. I also think they're good hiking shoes in general, and I've worn them on just standard hikes and been great. They've gone through over 20 canyons for me now and are still in great shape.
    --Cliff

I have a pair of 5.10 Savants. They are a good shoe for most things, but they will not last more then a couple hard mae west canyons. The stitching is to exposed.

There is a reason 5.10 Canyoneers are so popular, and that is because they are often the best option.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3