Thread: Help me with a 10 day Ut. Park photo Tour

Help me with a 10 day Ut. Park photo Tour

Had my Kidney removed on 2/12 and Dr. told me to wait until about the Middle of March until I can "Pack a Pack" around.. So, coming from Twin Falls, will have about 10 days for a Photo tour of the parks in UT, beginning about 3/15.. My pack is a 45 pound Camera bag w/tripod, and I hope not to have to carry long hauls, but .... I'm not looking for the typical tourist shots either. I need something unique. Any suggestions for certain "Can't miss" parks, and hikes for unique shots of no more than about 3 miles one way? I'll be pulling a little 15' camp trailer with a 4x pickup - w/shell. (Not opposed to sleeping in the back of the truck if have to) - I'm 66, but not fragile, and don't mind sweating for a good photograph. I have a Dr. in town that has requested some (12) really good landscape photos for his office, and when asked if he had any suggestions, he specifically stated some shots of the park system in UT. He wouldn't elaborate, leaving it up to me for the creative part - hence, I ask for a little help from the pros..

For any photogs out there, I have a gripped Canon 7D - plan on bringing my 50mm, 70-200mm f/2.8, and a 10-20mm Wide. - and a bunch of filters... Any other/different recommendations for this type of shoot?

thanks,

Rick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Look these up...Capital Reef National Park, Calf Creek Falls, The Henry Mountains (particularly the sunset view from the Burr Trail switchbacks) Natural Bridges...you can get shots of all three with two reasonably short day hikes. These would keep you busy for a few days I'll let others recommend stuff west of Escalante.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

4. Likes Old Ranger liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Calf creek for sure (although that's a popular tourist destination).

Kanaarville Canyon has some great photo ops in there.

I like Kodachrome State Park a lot because it's quite unique - but many of my friends disagree with me.

I lie Bull Valley gorge and Tropic, near Bryce Canyon.

There are some canyon shots in escalante such as Zebra Canyon.

Goblin valley State park, and little wild horse canyon is very popular and easily accessible and if you have never been to Goblin then I would recommend that place. But it will be very busy, especially April to June. But that place is a giant playground for adults and the unique formations are amazing!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

6. Likes accadacca, tanya, Old Ranger liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    Don't forget the Wahweap hoodoos.

Check out these Grand Staircase hikes that are not touristy and will give you some great photo ops.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/gshike.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Don't forget the Wahweap hoodoos.

Check out these Grand Staircase hikes that are not touristy and will give you some great photo ops.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/gshike.htm
    If you plan on seeing these, you might want to head on down House Rock Valley rd and check out Upper Buckskin Gulch and maybe Wire Pass into Buckskin too. Also...There's a lot of amazing shots to take on Hwy 12 and the Burr trail between Capitol Reef NP and Calf Creek. You'll find more info in Bo+Tanya's website.

I would recommend getting the Laurent Martres book(s) (Southern Utah and you might want the Arizona one too).

While our focus of vacations is hiking/camping, I do like taking pictures too. On our trip last year we spent time at the Grand Canyon, Page, and Bryce. My favorite spots for pictures were around Page, particularly Buckskin Gulch and Yellow Rock. If you can work out the transportation/permit details, also Coyote Buttes South and Alstrom Point. These spots are a little more out of the way (i.e. tourists in Page always hit Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend, but fewer make it to these other spots).

I have some pics posted of our trip if you want to see the places I mentioned:

Arizona 2012

Your gear sounds fine to me (then again, I have just an entry level DSLR and one lens :P).

10. Likes accadacca liked this post
    I've got a calendar with a beautiful landscape shot taken somewhere in the Needles District of Canyonlands NP that everyone comments on and wonders where it's at. To me it just looks like a common scene of the dominate landscape of the area. Lots of potential there.

Not sure if Glen Canyon National Recreation Area fits the criteria, but anyplace you can get to Lake Powell makes a great picture. Hite, Bullfrog, Wahweap (Alstrom Pt, NPS 264, is a great spot).

Old Ranger:

If you want a Utah National Park photo tour, you'll have to compete with thousands of Japanese, Chinese and Korean tourists. I'm a foreigner to your lands too, but I keep away from the big named places on the map big time.

Get USGS maps, a four-wheel drive, and fill your boots by keeping off the beaten track, so to speak.

As a minimum, stick with State parks and anywhere unlikely to be available to a 56-seat coach.

Hope that helps,

Rob

13. Likes Old Ranger liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    I love the Laurent Martres books too. The pictures are magnificent!

I "REALLY" appreciate the ideas so far.... I'm compiling a list and will check out each and every suggestion! Are there any areas that I should stay away from while pulling a little 15' trailer?

Thanks again ...

R

I'm not sure if Moab was mentioned. It shouldn't be too crazy in March. There is plenty of great pictures to be taken there and short hikes to access arches, etc. Cool stuff on the way out to Monticello as well.

One day I'd like to visit Japan when it's quiet there.

Perhaps in the summer, 'cause you can bet your boot leather that 95% of the Japanese population will be in some US National Park having their photo taken as they exit the tour bus.

(Sorry, it's been a gripe of mine since 1991)

18. Likes Old Ranger liked this post
    Since my Original Post, I've purchased a new Jayco 20' T trailer.. Still in the planning stage, but have pretty much taken most of these suggestions and will visit. I have an important question..... are there any places that I would NOT want to take the trailer? (Narrow, no turnaround, etc..) ?? Are there plenty of "Boondocking" opportunities (Dry Camping) as I'm not liking the "Organized campgrounds" too much.. Can I assume that if it's not private property, I can pull over and spend the night in the trailer?

That damn surgery took a lot out of me and I'm in training for these hikes - I'm up to 6 miles a day, however that's stretching it. BTW, one kidney less, a $36,000 hospital bill (thank God for Insurance), and too many weeks recovery, and I find out that I never did have Cancer after all ...... Path labs came back totally benign. Bummer.