Thread: Retrievable Rope/Anchor designs

Retrievable Rope/Anchor designs

Folks,

Now that I've been through a couple canyons, I'm interested in other designs for retrievable rigging and ropes. I was going to try and describe what we do know, but basically, it's the retrievable webbing with a pull cord. LAMAR undoes the stone knot, then pulls the rope and pull cord at the bottom.

We use the Stone Knot now, but I realize that you can't use it to lower someone in trouble - only use the other rope to go down and help out.

I'd like an alternative to the Stone for "just in case." We had a moment a couple weekends ago, and while we didn't have the rope for it, lowering the person in trouble may be helpful in another situation.

I found this: http://dyeclan.com/outdoors101/canyo...trievable-rope

My question is, are the Joker and Jester knots "recommended" here, and can someone point me to how to tie them?

Trying to learn and be prepared. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
    --Bill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I really like the jester since its easy to set up and easy to lower someone if necessary and the last man down can use the rigging to rappel on. You clip a biner in the same spot as the rapide and run the rope through like its a 2nd rapide then clip your totem with the slots down into the biner. Then take a bight from one strand and pass it through one slot and then a bight from the other strand and pass it through the other slot and pass a 2nd biner through the bights and your good. Gotta watch it though since a heavy guy on skinny 8mm rope can cause some slippage. I've never seen any, but I've heard that its happened. As long as you have someone watching it while people are on rappel its not a problem since any slipping can easily be arrested by pulling on the non rappel strand to brake.

Quote Originally Posted by blamkin86 View Post
    Folks,

My question is, are the Joker and Jester knots "recommended" here, and can someone point me to how to tie them?
    I've found when used properly, the Jester works very well. I really like rigging it on a Totem with larger groups. I have also rigged it with a Sterling ATS, although it is more difficult to release.

Contingency anchors are critical to know and use. There are many that would argue that they should be used on every rappel. In practice, I've found that every situation is different.

5. Likes MrAdam liked this post
    Thanks Guys - I found a picture of the jester online elsewhere.

If you're getting slippage, seems like you could use the double-biner method, and clove hitch one or both sides. Still easy to remove the biner in case you need to.

Who is the Dye Clan? Cool site. You can remove your Stone. Z rig the strand that is loaded, unload the weight on the Stone and then replace with a Contingency.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Who is the Dye Clan?
    Hello, we are the Dye Clan. I'm Jeremy Dye, and this is my wife Tara. We have two little girls, Savannah and Madilyn, ages 2 and 0. We live in Richfield, Utah.

Slotmachine does a good write up of converting a stone knot to a lower here....

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-a-contingency

10. Likes Slot Machine, blamkin86 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    Slotmachine does a good write up of converting a stone knot to a lower here....

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-a-contingency
    Fantastic - thanks for posting that. I'm practicing Sunday on that and the Totem-based joker/jester thing.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Who is the Dye Clan? Cool site.
    I am. Thanks.