Thread: Indian Creek(Hwy 211) to Cedar mesa(Hwy 95)?

Indian Creek(Hwy 211) to Cedar mesa(Hwy 95)?

So, has anyone gone through the Abajo(Blue) Mountains from highway 211 to highway 95 either on the beef basin road or the cottonwood road? The maps I have show you can go thru, but it does't say how difficult it is. A buddy told me two of his friends with pretty burly 4x4s couldnt make it south to north, but there are alot of roads up there and I dont know exactly what they did. Looks like it could be fun if it's not too crazy. Thanks in advance!
    Don

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

@fourtycal spends time in the blue mountains, maybe he'll know...

I tried it January 2012 and it was treacherous, deep snow! I was chained up on all four corners and still had to take a few runs at some snow drifts from the Beef Basin turn off to the long canyon turn and again toward the bears ears. It tends to get some snow and drifts this time of year.

Last September was my most recent and it was good. Some rocky sections on the way from 211 to Beef Basin but it was definitely drive-able. 2wd car would make it if the roads were dry and depending on the latest county maintenance. It is a beautiful drive and definitely worth the trip. I took a side trip into Dark canyon in September. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...38-Dark-Canyon
    Remember there is no fuel, food or cell service anywhere along the way or along 95 between Blanding and Hanksville. Very remote country. Take pics and give us a report!

5. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Thanks! I almost made it to beef basin once from 211, but was stopped by snow drifts. Now that I know, I'm really lookin forward to another chance in April!

How many miles is it? How long would it take?

Thanks!!!

7. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    From pavement on 211 to pavement on 95, pass Beef Basin, through the bears ears, down toward Natural Bridges it would be 60 miles. It takes a few hours, or longer if you stop to watch deer, elk, turkey etc...
    I often turn east on the Elk Ridge road before the bears ears and head out south to 95 on the Cottonwood road headed to Blanding for Lunch or fuel. Watch the weather before you go. It is all slippery when wet

9. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Perfect! Thanks! I might make 2 days out of it and check out beef basin on my way to cedar mesa. Will definatly keep an eye on the weather and I always pack plenty of stuff in case I have (or want) to hang around longer than planned.

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Any Idea on the conditions up there now? planning on next weekend. thought i would be pretty free and clear by now, but we have had this crazy spring weather!

13. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    OK, looks like we might FINALLY make this trip! Anyone been up in the area lately? We're thinkin 2 days in Beef Basin, then a couple days in Arch Canyon. Is there any important info I should know about before we go? road closures, etc?
    Thanks!