Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you carry with you when mtb'ing

What do you carry with you when mtb'ing

I have been biking for two seasons and have added a couple of things to my hydration pack along the way. I will be down in St. George in the next month and want to make sure I am ready to go for the rest of the season.

What do you carry with you?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Spare tube, tools, water, snacks, sunglasses, clear safety glasses, elbow and knee pads (G-form, LOVE them) cell phone, and this time of year layer because I never know if I will be too hot or cold. Today the wind was pretty bad and I was glad I had my light weight wind breaker. Yesterday starting out it was cold but warmed up quickly. I keep think I am going to put together a small first aid kit but haven't.
    Chere'

Cell phone, mainly for pics and MyTracks app.

Tube, Slime, Pump, multi tool

GoPro with about 157 different mounts

And I haven't packed water for about 4 years now. Only Diet Mountain Dew in the bottle.

I've found if you don't have the bladder nozzle really accessible and ready to drink from , your mind isn't on constantly getting a drink. I'll do many rides now without taking a singe sip of anything because it's not on my mind and I don't feel dehydrated either. Granted, most of the rides are about 2 hours, so if we're waiting around for somebody I'll break open the pack and grab a drink, but rarely because I'm thirsty.

Camelbak of course, first aid kit, tube, patch kit, pump, tool kit, headlamp, quick sticks, granola bars, sun glasses, gloves, helmet (duh!).

Beech, only 157 mounts? I'm a little disappointed with you.

I just added a crank brothers 19 multi - tool. I carry a small pump and for energy shot bloks, GU or some kind of energy bar. Should I get some SRAM power links? I slimed my tunes and haven't carried spare tubes.

I carry a camelback, toepeak pump and alien multu tool, spoke wrench, tire levers, patch kit, zip ties, a small strap, smith sunglass lenses, and power bars.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    I carry a camelback, toepeak pump and alien multu tool, spoke wrench, tire levers, patch kit, zip ties, a small strap, smith sunglass lenses, and power bars.
    I recently added smith interlock spoiler with the interchangeable lenses. Outstanding glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Spare tube, tools, water, snacks, sunglasses, clear safety glasses, elbow and knee pads (G-form, LOVE them) cell phone, and this time of year layer because I never know if I will be too hot or cold. Today the wind was pretty bad and I was glad I had my light weight wind breaker. Yesterday starting out it was cold but warmed up quickly. I keep think I am going to put together a small first aid kit but haven't.
    Blue, how's it going to be down there this weekend? We're headed down. You should hear from Dave M.

Should be delightful. I am headed to Eagle Point to ski Saturday and hike Toroweap on Sunday. I played really hard last weekend on the mountain bike had 20+ riders on Barrel Roll and Rim Rock Saturday then again on Bearclaw Sunday. But I do need to talk with Dave and Mark both! Maybe I can catch up with you guys Saturday night.
    Chere'

I always carry lots of water in the MULE pack, a bar and/or sandwich for longer rides, a torx head wrench for brake rotors (you never know), and never leave home without my Becker Necker knife!
    Last edited by mxerhale; 02-27-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: grammar

I'm a self-confessed (or is that possessed) minimalist. I used to wear a Camelbak on every ride, but now only rarely use it. I switched to water bottles and a very small under-seat tool bag. For rides of 12 miles and under I take 1 water bottle. For rides longer than that (or really, really hot days) I'll take 2. I like the simplicity of the bottles and have gotten quite skilled at drinking from them while moving. For my under-the-seat tool bag I carry the smallest of Park multi-tools, 2 tire levers, a SRAM quick-link, a Genuine Innovations Air Chuck Elite http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bi...uck-elite.html, 2 CO2 cartridges, a couple of zip ties and an aspirin 2 pack (in case I ever encounter heart attack symptoms). Since switching to a tubeless setup I never worry about flats and have only had to hike out from a ride once or twice in the last 3 years. On every ride I'll carry a GU gel pack or some energy chews. My 'water' consists of mixed powdered Powerade (no hard to digest while exercising high fructose corn syrup like the pre-mixed stuff has). For longer or more grueling rides I'll add some powdered Cytomax or CarboRocket to my Powerade mix. Probably more information than you wanted.
    Are we there yet?

I have tried the cytomax, carbrocket, and poweraid, but I wasn't able to tell any differance from drinking plain water.

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I'm a self-confessed (or is that possessed) minimalist. I used to wear a Camelbak on every ride, but now only rarely use it. I switched to water bottles and a very small under-seat tool bag. For rides of 12 miles and under I take 1 water bottle. For rides longer than that (or really, really hot days) I'll take 2. I like the simplicity of the bottles and have gotten quite skilled at drinking from them while moving. For my under-the-seat tool bag I carry the smallest of Park multi-tools, 2 tire levers, a SRAM quick-link, a Genuine Innovations Air Chuck Elite http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bi...uck-elite.html, 2 CO2 cartridges, a couple of zip ties and an aspirin 2 pack (in case I ever encounter heart attack symptoms). Since switching to a tubeless setup I never worry about flats and have only had to hike out from a ride once or twice in the last 3 years. On every ride I'll carry a GU gel pack or some energy chews. My 'water' consists of mixed powdered Powerade (no hard to digest while exercising high fructose corn syrup like the pre-mixed stuff has). For longer or more grueling rides I'll add some powdered Cytomax or CarboRocket to my Powerade mix. Probably more information than you wanted.
    Not too much at all. I like seeing what options there are. Thanks!!!

I have tried the cytomax, carbrocket, and poweraid, but I wasn't able to tell any differance from drinking plain water.
    That's because your a mtb'ing beast.

I can tell a difference. Much of it may have to do with the fact that if the water has some flavor to it I tend to drink a lot more (especially when the liquid gets warm), thus staying hydrated.
    Powdered Powerade is also relatively cheap. I can pick up a canister of the stuff at my local grocery store for about $4. I don't mix at full strength so I probably get 4-5 gallons out of each one.
    Are we there yet?

Have you guys tried Elete Electrolytes? No flavor doesn't take much to put in your water and for the most part no taste. I love it. I can't stand the sweetness of power-aid and similar junk.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Have you guys tried Elete Electrolytes? No flavor doesn't take much to put in your water and for the most part no taste. I love it. I can't stand the sweetness of power-aid and similar junk.
    Where do you pick it up at?

Red Rock sales it down here but it is made in Ogden. I would imagine you could find it at the bike shops up there or here is their website www.eletewater.com
    Chere'

I carry almost identical stuff as Tallsteve. The only difference is that I use a camelback to protect my back. I have landed like a turtle a few times and it feels better to land on my pack than my back. LOL
    And yes, I would carry a Powerlink. A broken chain will get you stranded more times than a flat if you run tubeless(One flat in 4 seasons). Knock on wood!
    Still trying to get in riding shape.