Thread: the best of the Roost???

the best of the Roost???

Headed down this weekend to have some fun in the roost this weekend. Were new to the area but not the sport (Were competent and have done nearly everything in Zion including the a couple of the big ones, the and almost all the skinny stuff of North Wash minus sandthrax.) BUT we have yet to touch the roost. What is the one canyon I absolutely have to do while there? Any favorites or recommendations for the area this time of year. We were looking at maybe Chambers along with a couple others. Any advice or suggestions on canyons would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Chambers, Larry, Alcatraz, and White are all good ones.

There's about 60+ canyons in the roost so it's hard to pick and choose.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'd say the two Roost must do's are Larry and Bluejohn.

The biggest reason for doing Bluejohn is it's the one canyon non-canyoneers always ask about and it's nice to be able to regale them with your feats of daring-do.... in addition to that it's a good canyon.

Larry is probably the best all-around Roost Canyon.

Also, the Roost is a BIG place and the two slots are relatively close to each other and a good place to begin learning the Roost.

YMMV

Thanks guys, It was soooo cold... Name:  canyoneering 282.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  52.4 KB

We ended up doing chambers and got our tent set up at alcatraz right before the storm hit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nielse2 View Post

We ended up doing chambers and got our tent set up at alcatraz right before the storm hit.
    Oh man!!! Those are big flakes too. Any swimming in Alcatraz?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Brrrrr! Looks like at least a couple of inches there.

Thanks guys, It was soooo cold...

Let us know how chambers went? Pools in there? Wow, glad the storm didn't hit you while in the canyon.

Chambers was great. We did it that morning and the weather was beautiful. Lots of fun stemming and some pretty tight squeezes. It's been awhile since being down in the north wash, but Chambers seemed a bit tighter than Lep or shenanigans... or maybe I'm just getting fatter. Either way I spent some time up higher as I just didn't fit in alot of places.

We headed down friday night and passed a group at white roost campsite so we continued on and camped at the trail head to Chambers. We decided we would do chambers in the morning, alcatraz in the afternoon and Larry sunday morning. after exiting chambers we found a beautiful sunny sky and some warm rays of sunshine, but the wind really picked up by the time we made it back to our cars and we could see the storm clouds in the distance. We hoped it would blow over as we drove down to alcatraz. On our way we passed those camped at the white roost campsite and figured they must be down in white roost. Hopefully they got out before the storm hit. anyway we made it to alcatraz set up camp and then got pummeled by the snowstorm. After watching the snow pile up for a bit over an hour we tucked our tails between our legs and headed for hanksville. The idea of dropping into that canyon, with all that snow, probably wading and no wetsuits quickly extinguished all our enthusiasm for spring canyoneering. We took a couple pictures, took our tent back down and headed back for civilization. Alcatraz will have to wait for another day....

here are a couple more pictures.

Name:  canyoneering 169.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  31.9 KBName:  canyoneering 241.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  31.7 KBName:  canyoneering 250.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  22.6 KBName:  canyoneering 274.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  18.9 KBName:  canyoneering 288.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  15.1 KBName:  canyoneering 293.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  19.0 KBName:  canyoneering 298.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:  canyoneering 169.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  31.9 KB
    Cheater!! Naw, I joke. That's a cool shot! That is over the first section of narrows, right?

Great photos and nice TR!

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

After watching the snow pile up for a bit over an hour we tucked our tails between our legs and headed for hanksville. The idea of dropping into that canyon, with all that snow, probably wading and no wetsuits quickly extinguished all our enthusiasm for spring canyoneering. We took a couple pictures, took our tent back down and headed back for civilization. Alcatraz will have to wait for another day....
    I hear you! We were there a couple of weeks ago, and it snowed on us the last day (after finishing the White Roost canyons). We also decided to head back home, and skipped a half day. Wet clothes and cold snow...brrr.

I also believe Chambers is just a tiny bit narrower than middle lep, at least the parts you don't stem over. The section you must step up and over has to be one of the narrowest places around.