Thread: Coffin - Death Valley 02/17/13

Coffin - Death Valley 02/17/13

Death Valley Days.

This isn't about the Salt Lake City Death Valley that had freezing rain, single digit temps, a record setting 90+ PPM inversion, a brownish grey haze with visibility at 50 feet and piles and piles of snow. No, this is about THE Death Valley where the daytime temperature was in the mid 80's, 25 miles plus visibility, clear blue skies and gentle breezes, This was the place to feel some heat , sweat a little, breathe some air, see the sky, and enjoy some vast scenery.

Death Valley canyons are kind of like Utah/Arizona canyons, deep but not real slotty, more limestone, pre Cambrian basement and igneous rock to munch thru, some sandstone. The colorful scenery is immense, its beauty lying in its uncommon geology.
    Our group included Highland High School students, both current and Alumnus/Almuni/Alumna/Alumnae. Some of us camped and some of us lodged in Pahrump.

Coffin is just one of the many canyons nestled within the Black mountains. The entrance climb up from the alluvial fanglomerate is a lung popping adventure that starts at 265 feet below sea level and tops out at 1,675 feet above sea level. Matt, a member of our party, once reaching top out exclaimed; "That climb up is not trivial!". There are places that require the hands to get up to on the climb up. The scenery from the top is out of this world, not to be missed/

This is a very nice canyon to introduce you to the Canyons in the Black Mountains

Thanks to all of my canyoneering partners and thanks to Lorin french for pictures.

thanks to Bluugnome for the excellent beta

Cheers

Doug French
    Attached Images Attached Images                                        
    Last edited by french_de; 01-02-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: fixed text lost in some ill fated migration
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

2. Likes accadacca, Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Amazing pics. That climb up looks exhausting though. But I guess being around sea level would help some. Looks fun.

Loved the TR.

Blue sky, sunshine, mild temps...nice.

That little critter doesn't look too well...ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Loved the TR.

Blue sky, sunshine, mild temps...nice.

That little critter doesn't look too well...ha ha.
    Thanks. I wish I was there still, being currently back in the cold.
    That is the first time I have seen a ring tail alive or dead in the wild.

Blog Entries
    What a great TR! You always present a good TR. great pics too.

So much water did you guys use for the entire canyon? 3liters? 6?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Great pics, thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    So much water did you guys use for the entire canyon? 3liters? 6?
    This was really and individual need, some needed less than a liter and some needed significantly more. I had 4 20oz Gatorade bottles filled with water, planned on using two with two spares for someone who might have needed it, used about 1 and 1/2 bottles. This being February the temperature was relatively cool, next month will be different. One thing our group always has - which wouldn't have helped much on this route - is a water purifier just in case. We also make sure the group hydrates well before heading out.

You are certainly a superstar at TR writing and photography. Love the shots with the highway below.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    You are certainly a superstar at TR writing and photography. Love the shots with the highway below.
    Thank you and thanks for providing this unique forum for displaying our indulgence in this stuff. It is as always a lot of fun.