Thread: Eagle Creek Oregon in May?

Eagle Creek Oregon in May?

This may be a dumb question, but I will likely be in Oregon in May for a wedding. It would be a shame to travel all that way and not be able to do a canyon in the PNW, which I have never done. Is Eagle Creek doable in May?

I understand the "season" in the PNW is ideally July-August due to (1) cold and (2) water flow. I am looking to do Eagle Creek, which seems ideal. Out on the trail, back through the rivercourse, with paved access to parking. No car shuttle required. Beautiful falls and pools. Clear water. I am thinking May might be too early though and could be peak run-off.

Any guidance is appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hike2kolob View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but I will likely be in Oregon in May for a wedding. It would be a shame to travel all that way and not be able to do a canyon in the PNW, which I have never done. Is Eagle Creek doable in May?

I understand the "season" in the PNW is ideally July-August due to (1) cold and (2) water flow. I am looking to do Eagle Creek, which seems ideal. Out on the trail, back through the rivercourse, with paved access to parking. No car shuttle required. Beautiful falls and pools. Clear water. I am thinking May might be too early though and could be peak run-off.

Any guidance is appreciated.
    You could look on a map and see how large and high the watershed is. Or follow the weather in the area (I hear they had a sunny day last week, and the whole city closed down). But it seems extremely unlikely. Good hiking perhaps, watching the massive floodwaters tumble over the drops...

Tom

4. Likes hike2kolob liked this post
    If you were there before the run off got going maybe. I would give the last rappel some respect. Prior to the last rappel you are in the stream going with the flow and you have to make sure you can climb out on the left right before it goes over the edge. As I recall seems like you cannot touch the bottom at this point? If it was flowing much more then when I was there last August that could be really sketchy. Penalty Points would be DEATH. You can skip the bottom and just get in at the top, float down, rappel or jump Punch Bowl falls and then get out if you wanted to. But if the flow is high I would just go on a nice hike. My TR is on Bogley go look at the pictures before you go and compare those flows with what you see.

Bridal Falls flow is much smaller but it also has one sketchy rappel where you have to rappel down next to a fallen log. That would be difficult if the flow was higher.

Mark
    New Favorite Canyoneering location is the PNW.

6. Likes hike2kolob liked this post
    Thanks Tom. I will keep a look-out with low expectations.

Moab Mark. I think it was your trip report that made me want to try to do a PNW canyon (particularly Eagle Creek), knowing I was going to be there anyway. Too bad the timing likely won't work out. I may just try to hike in and try a swimming hole if safe. Thanks!