Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 02/16/13 - Boltergeist

02/16/13 - Boltergeist

My son was turning 13 this weekend so I asked him what he wanted to do for his b-day, suggesting a few things like ice skating, bowling and frisbee, all the while mentally urging and secretly hoping he would want to do a canyon. He didn't disappoint and we ended up doing Boltergeist, located on BLM land north of St. George (UT), west of Leeds, south of Signal Peak in the Pine Valley wilderness area. It was my second time down this canyon, first time for everyone else.

Being February I thought there might be a lot of water or snow in the canyon but conditions were perfect - quite a bit drier from those reported in another post from December. There was a little bit of water in the pot holes, frozen over with about .25-.50 inches of ice and there was a fair amount of water in the pool at the bottom of the second-to-last rappel, but we were able to skirt around it on the little left-side (down canyon) ledge. It was a delightful, leisurely trip including a picnic lunch at the stream\"oasis" located at the bottom of the last rappel and took us four hours car-to-car. An excellent opportunity to try out my new GoPro Hero2 camera. I made a "movie trailer" from the trip footage (couldn't resist with a name like "Boltergeist"). This is my first attempt at iMovie+GoPro.

Here are some photos from the outing:

Name:  IMG_1054.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  164.2 KB
    Group shot. Getting ready to hit the canyon.

Name:  IMG_1058.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  126.6 KB
    Ben was the first to descend the final rappel, using a Prusik Knot since he had no belayer.

Name:  IMG_1064.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  96.9 KB
    My son beginning the final rappel.

Name:  IMG_1065.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  83.1 KB
    My son mid-rappel on the last rap.

Name:  IMG_1076.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  150.8 KB
    Ben's son on the final rappel.

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

No movie???

Anyways, that last rap is no joke. Tell your son I'm very impressed for a little guy to pull that off. trying to work my son up to something like that, but he's not there yet.
    That bottom section with the water oasis one of my favorite spots. Very pretty section and fun hike out.

Edit: oh I see you hyperlinked it and not window pasted. My bad! I skipped it thinking it was like the GoPro Commercial linkage

Your safety is not my responsibility.

I liked the Movie Trailer.

We were behind you guys about 2 raps. Sounded like you were having a good time

Very impressive! Haven't done this one yet, so what's up with the last pic "Ben's son on the final rappel"? One person on the bottom, and another up above waiting but on a ledge area? Is that area climbable or down climbable? Looked sketchy from the pic w/o a rope.

Great TR!

Bogley BigShot
    Great trip report and photos!

Yeah, my son was climbing around waiting for his friend to descend. He's actually standing in a bowl from which you can down climb or walk around to get down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Very impressive! Haven't done this one yet, so what's up with the last pic "Ben's son on the final rappel"? One person on the bottom, and another up above waiting but on a ledge area? Is that area climbable or down climbable? Looked sketchy from the pic w/o a rope.

Great TR!

I'm sorry you could hear us , but yes we were having a good time. The boys had a blast. They are much braver than I was at their age.

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    We were behind you guys about 2 raps. Sounded like you were having a good time

Quote Originally Posted by arnellfam View Post
    I'm sorry you could hear us , but yes we were having a good time. The boys had a blast. They are much braver than I was at their age.
    Don't bother me any. You or anybody can be as loud as you want. We are there to enjoy each others company and have a good time. And my dates were off anyways, I was too days behind you

If your heard them two days away they must have been really load

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I haven't been there in years, have all the bolts been removed at each small down climb? Looks better then I remember need to hit it again sometime.

Nice pics man. I need to get out and do this one. Been in that area and done Yankee doodle a bunch of times but never have decided to do this one. But I think it's time to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aj84737 View Post
    Nice pics man. I need to get out and do this one. Been in that area and done Yankee doodle a bunch of times but never have decided to do this one. But I think it's time to.
    I think it compliments Yankee to make a longer day. not a true slot canyon, but all the raps are right in a row. It is also good practice for beginners because it has some awkward raps to deal with and an optional crack downclimb that can be done

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I haven't been there in years, have all the bolts been removed at each small down climb? Looks better then I remember need to hit it again sometime.
    My bad the bolts were in Yankee, I haven't done Boltergeist, looks fun.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    My bad the bolts were in Yankee, I haven't done Boltergeist, looks fun.
    About half the bolts in Yankee are gone. I can understand it being bolted though, it is used a lot for guiding and they need to keep their clients safe.

Ice. I do think the beta needs to be changed though. I packed my 200' rope and pull cord through the first time. The longest rap is 80' to the ledge of the final rap. The lower section is a simple downclimb RDC or LDC

Fun to see your kids enjoying themselves. Nice video and report

Just a heads up seen 2 rattle snakes on the exit hike today. Both around 1/4 of the way up the big hill at the end.

Just a heads up seen 2 rattle snakes on the exit hike today. Both around 1/4 of the way up the big hill at the end.
    Reminds me of last fall when I literally almost sat on a rattler at the top of the same hill. I was belaying a move that some in our group were uncomfortable with when the guy next to me says nice and quiet "You should get up slowly and come over this way." Good thing the little guy was just chillin (within striking distance) and not offended by my crowding of his space.

22. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    I led a group of co-workers through Boltergeist on Wednesday late morning and a group who had just finished yelled across the way that they had seen two rattlers. I'm assuming that was you, so thanks for the warning! We saw one baby rattler on the climb out.

Also, we brought a 100m (325 ft) rope which was perfect for doing the final rappel all the way to the bottom. A 112 ft rope sufficed for all the other rappels. Part of our group rappelled the first significant obstacle - the 30ish ft crack you normally down climb. Lots of loose rock on that rappel that could fall on observers below so make sure the down climbers are standing well clear. Nice, leisurely pace with four intermediate-level canyoneers and one noob = 3 hours car-to-car.