Thread: Hiking Suggestions for this weekend with 20 month old - Escalante/Boulder Areas

Hiking Suggestions for this weekend with 20 month old - Escalante/Boulder Areas

Hello all,

I am wondering if you have any ideas for good hikes with a 20 month old. My wife is heading to Zion this weekend so I'm heading south from Salt Lake with just my 20 month old daughter. I'm planning on staying in hotels so can't get too crazy far out. I need to be conscious of time in the car for the kid and the cold temperatures while hiking but this is what I have so far after limited research:

- Lower Calf Creek Falls - Is this ok in winter? Saw some pics but not much in the way of TRs. Not sure if it will be cold or icy.

Hole in the Rock Road:
    - Devil's Rock Garden (Metate Arch) - Was here years ago and thought it would be cool for the kid to scramble around and get good photos.

- Sunrise/Sunset Arches - Looks like this is 40 miles down the road which is a haul. Anybody know if it is washboard right now due to the winter?

- Kodachrome Basin

- Horseshoe Bend - Not near the others unless the Cottonwood Wash road is passable now?

Any other thoughts around Boulder/Escalante for chill hikes with good views? Around Torrey would be good too. Didn't want to go too far north in the Swell because of the cold although it only looks to be about a 10 degree difference.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have not been on the Cottonwood Wash Road this year, but last year there was a long section of deep sand several miles north of US 89 that would be very easy to get stuck in.

Lower Calf Creek Falls would be a great hike this time of year. Or Upper Calf Creek Falls too.