Thread: White Roost Canyons

White Roost Canyons

The weather continued to hold, so early the next day we committed ourselves in doing both forks of White Roost. Robbers Roost area.

We first did the East fork (Main), and all of us got wet up past our waists! Wow, it was cold. The East fork has some narrow sections and some challenging downclimbs.

Brrr....20F outside, but we warmed up in the nice sun!

Here you can see there was unavoidable water at the end. We had our wetsuits, but didn't take the time to change. If the weather was more threatening, may have been a different choice in keeping our clothes dry.

The hike out isn't too bad either. Takes some walking and some elevation change, but very easy and well marked.

This one had a rap anchor above? OK...

We then hurried back, changed, and set up the shuttle again to do the next fork. The West fork is even better! Again, lots of drops that were setup for raps, but doable with some careful legwork or belay.

At one point, we came upon some more water, and the team asked me to lead this one as it looked too difficult to stem. So, back against the wall and feet on the other, I crabbed along. The walls started to get wider, and then just barely reflective, a thin layer of ice close to the water surface appeared. However, I noticed that a bit too late. Splash! I fell into water above my waist. Learning from my mistake, the others just stemmed a bit higher and avoided it all. Glad to take one for the team!

I fell in here

We then had a fun ~80' rap down a sculpted wall, walked some easy sections, and then squeezed through a narrow slanted crawl that just dropped and dropped. Very cave like. What a blast! We loved this section.

East/Main Fork Exit

Tyler lost his ATC Guide somewhere along the way. Was on a carabiner on his harness, but somehow just popped off. A first for us. Anyone else ever loose equipment from an unlocked carabiner on a harness? We searched back, but it remained elusive. A gift for the next party on through. (Unintentional littering).

At the exit of the West fork, I cut off my pants (50th anniversary canyon for them, their patchwork long expired) and stuffed them away. Nobody else around, but most importantly, hiking out in my underwear was a lot warmer even in winter...

Both forks have their charm. The west fork is especially interesting! Don't miss this canyon!

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm really enjoying the TR's. Keep up the good work.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Great TR and photos. Looks like a great canyon!