Thread: Site Upgrade

Site Upgrade

I don't see any posts about the site recently having been upgraded, but I noticed the site seeming to have more personality recently by adding the pictures next to the thread title. When did that happen? Anyway, it looks good.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of the icon next to each post/thread; it seems to slow the site down and is too visually busy. Just my .75cents worth (thank Obama for the inflation!)
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    I'm not a fan of the icon next to each post/thread; it seems to slow the site down and is too visually busy. Just my .75cents worth (thank Obama for the inflation!)
    x2

Not of fan of bells and whistles. My phone (which doesn't show the icons) is noticably faster then my computer which shows the icons. I'm for anything that increases the speed at which the pages load.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    I don't see any posts about the site recently having been upgraded, but I noticed the site seeming to have more personality recently by adding the pictures next to the thread title. When did that happen? Anyway, it looks good.
    Thanks, this was something we had in the General Videos and the Dark Room for quite a while now, we just decided to push it over into the other forums. The goal will be to snag a preview of the first uploaded / embedded image especially from Trip Reports, giving a preview to the thread. For those that won't have any images it will just attempt to grab the avatar.

I imagine some will love this feature, some won't be too excited about it. We'd like to give it a try and see how the thread preview goes, see if it slows down site performance constantly, or watch and see if it turns out to be a nice little boost for image heavy threads.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll be keeping an eye on it.

Blog Entries
    I say keep it! More visual I say! Can't have a outdoors forum without pics and vids... ;)

Sure it's a bit slower - but you moneymakers crack open the wallet a little and spend it on a decent ISP. I have Comcast for $39.99 and I get 25Mb/sec. Fast! Sure there is much faster like my phone with LTE (constant 45Mb in SLC) but $40 is very reasonable for Internet access.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Bogley BigShot
    I agree with Jman. I like them. I thought all you men were visual creatures! I don't notice any speed difference on my computer. Either way a page opens almost instantly.

I haven't had a problem with speed. This thread thumb format has been on the "what's new" tab for several months, which is the most bandwidth intensive and visited filter/link. We placed it in two other forums too as Beech mentioned to test it. I'd welcome any other feedback though. If the masses are having issues, then we should turn it off. I bet your computers just needed to cache the thumbnails, should be good after the first couple loads. The images are very small and are pulling from the database. They shouldn't be affecting load times much at all.

Interestingly, Google has started to allow websites to place images next to their search results. That is where this idea came from for this module. They did testing and found out that users are more likely to click on a result with an image. Webmasters are now scrambling to get the functionality (called schema) into their code.

9. Likes tanya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I say keep it! More visual I say! Can't have a outdoors forum without pics and vids... ;)
    +1

11. Likes tanya liked this post
    Just curious, when you guys are talking about viewing on your phone, are you talking Tapatalk? Because there are a lot of reasons why that will smoke the Web view anyways. Even loading the default bogley gray background takes time, then you have the headers, footers sidebar, font effects... The Tapatalk mobile theme is basically the NotePad vs MS Word in simplicity and speed.

To what accadacca said, let's see what happens and if your cache really makes a difference. This obviously won't be the case for first time visitors but let's really see what it does from various computers. And the "what's new" tab is pulling a search each time, consistently searching for the latest threads which is server intensive, and it's held up pretty good.

And then again if it turns out to be a big fail then it's a click of the mouse to turn it off. It was just a click to turn it on all forums since it has been running for months already in certain areas. I'm optimistic about it though, i think it's a nice bonus to hover over the thumbnail and zoom the image too whether it's a YouTube video, uploaded photo or animated gif.

Thanks for the feedback, let us know what you find.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

13. Likes tanya liked this post
    When I say view on phone I'm talking tapatalk. If I could set my computer up to view in tapatalk format I'd be thrilled. Tapatalk strips out all the crap I don't care about and returns speed which I love. For every hour I use bogley on my computer I use my phone four hours.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    When I say view on phone I'm talking tapatalk. If I could set my computer up to view in tapatalk format I'd be thrilled. Tapatalk strips out all the crap I don't care about and returns speed which I love. For every hour I use bogley on my computer I use my phone four hours.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Oh yeah. Bogley is getting a ton of traffic via Tapatalk. It sure works slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If I could set my computer up to view in tapatalk format I'd be thrilled

Scroll to the bottom and you'll see the theme chooser. You can view the Mobile theme from your computer. Please note, this is NOT Tapatalk, but similarly will strip out extra graphics and the heavy stuff. But you'll also see all of the outdoor gear subforums stacked because it's not going through the fancy subforum mod, stuff like that.

Name:  aaa.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  18.5 KB

Once in the mobile theme, you'll see navigation is a bit different. To enter a thread, click on the arrow. I must admit I haven't played around with it too much so there's a lot I don't know still, but if you click on the title of a thread with a prefix, that just filters all threads with that prefix, so you need to click on the right arrow.

Also I think I noticed that the added attachments, NOT the preferred inline insert images, may have trouble showing up in some threads.

Anyways, check it out, see what you find. We won't get any hopes up and say we'll fix any quirks that you find in there, but if there are some workarounds, great.

Name:  mobile.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  53.3 KB

And when you get sick of the limited view and want to get back to the web theme, scroll to the bottom and click Full Site

Name:  full.png
Views: 149
Size:  21.2 KB

The pictures are not all stretched out when I view Bogley on my Iphone or Ipad any longer. I don't know when this was fixed, but great job.

Thanks