Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chambers - Robbers Roost

Chambers - Robbers Roost

We left Cache Valley in a blizzard. Snow was past our knees, and still coming down. Would this be a turn around trip?

Name:  c7.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  132.2 KB

Tyler, a friend, and I left about 5 am on Saturday morning. The forecast called for snow and rain in Utah, but the trip had been planned for a few months. We were set. Rain or shine, here we come.

We wanted to do Chambers and Larry, with White Roost as another option. If we got there and the weather was really bad, we would retreat back to Hanksville and maybe find something close by.

Once we got to the Roost, the weather was clear. Roads were passable, and the hike down to the head of the canyon was a piece of cake.

Name:  c5.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  98.0 KB

Easy to get to. But wow, it starts out narrow! An exception on this day, we went in with no gear based on other reports. Well, some pads, headlamps, and a bit of webbing. In hindsight, even in this canyon I believe a helmet would still fit. Add it.

Efficiency was our priority. This is one canyon I was grateful to have a beta on prior.

Name:  c6.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  104.7 KB

We started stemming almost immediately, and continued to squeeze tightly through. This canyon is tight. And then...I was stuck. I couldn't move in any direction. My rib-cage was compressed, and I was having a tough time breathing. Yikes!

Tyler, still skinner than I , moved his foot under mine. Just enought to gain a few more inches. Yes! I was free.

Whew. We then continued on to the subway section. Very cool!

Name:  c2.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  80.0 KB

Name:  c3.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  c4.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  84.7 KB

After that, we downclimbed around the boulder. It was a little tricky, as it wanted to "throw" you to the right; down toward a deep crevasse. Just stay a bit to the left, and it is a simple slide to a rock.

Then, the crux. The next section is really, really tight. No way could we fit through here. So, we helped each other climb up narrow slick walls to some ledges some 20' above.

Some more stemming, and then...shoot! We had to go back down. The walls were too wide again. Then again, some more squeezing, unavoidable ankle deep water
    , then another climb UP. This one was a lot easier, as it had deformities in the rock that allowed some good holds. And then too soon, we popped out.

Name:  c8.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  105.0 KB

Had a blast. Great canyon!

2. Likes Slot Machine, shan1203 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    It's a fun good canyon for sure. Were u able to do the others you wanted? Larry? white?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Nice!

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

6. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Well done Mark! Call me next time

Awesome report. It's always great to escape the snow for a few days.

9. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Sweet! Sounds awesome. Like the pics from the chambers section.
    Thanks for the TR and the report on the road conditions.

I was stuck. I couldn't move in any direction. My rib-cage was compressed, and I was having a tough time breathing. Yikes!
    This sounds terrifying man, glad you got free.

For those that might have missed it, here is Steve Susswein & Sue Agranoff's story of getting stuck in Chanbers, it's a really good read.

Stuck in Chambers
    May 2008
    Written By: Steve Susswein & Sue Agranoff
    Edited By Stefanos Folias

Very nice TR Mark. You and Tyler are really getting out and hitting the canyons like pro's. Glad you were able to work out the issues and have a great day. Glad the weather worked out for you.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug View Post
    Very nice TR Mark. You and Tyler are really getting out and hitting the canyons like pro's. Glad you were able to work out the issues and have a great day. Glad the weather worked out for you.
    Thanks for introducing us to the sport Jared. Haven't looked back since taking that first course with you. Great times.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    For those that might have missed it, here is Steve Susswein & Sue Agranoff's story of getting stuck in Chanbers, it's a really good read.
    Glad they made it out OK. This canyon can be unforgiving. One miscalculation, from any of us, can turn a fun day into a survival story.

jman - we did both forks of White Roost also. I'll try to post a quick TR on them. With the bad weather, getting over to Larry looked risky.

SRG - yes it was scary getting stuck. I was surprised at how fast panic, or that "beast" wants to take over. Important to recognize it, and relax so you stay in control of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Well done Mark! Call me next time
    You got it! Have a couple planned in March, I'll text you!

That sounds great.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Stuck in Chambers
    May 2008
    Written By: Steve Susswein & Sue Agranoff
    Edited By Stefanos Folias

Or, you can read it at the original posting:

http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/ca...=stuckchambers

Tom

Loved the TR Mountaineer, especially the close up of exiting the crack. Very cool.

Awesome trip report - and really interesting pictures! Looks like a great place to explore.

I'll echo the earlier comments about getting stuck - whew! Glad everything worked out well :)

What are you using for a camera? You have some good pictures, particularly considering winter slot lighting is not always the best or most easy to deal with.

What are you using for a camera? You have some good pictures, particularly considering winter slot lighting is not always the best or most easy to deal with.
    Small Sony dsc-tx5, steady shot. Waterproof and compact. Lots of dents, and scratches. But seems to do ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Lots of dents, and scratches. But seems to do ok.
    Sounds like most of us here. Thanks for the TR and great photos! Somehow hearing about getting stuck makes me want to go visit more........

24. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    Sounds like most of us here. Thanks for the TR and great photos! Somehow hearing about getting stuck makes me want to go visit more........
    Twas funny, when we went through I said to my friend "Don't be tempted by the forbidden fruit, that is, walking along the bottom of the canyon. It is always tighter than it looks from above."

So what did I do in the first (and tightest) section of Chambers? Yup, headed down. My chest grabbed with my feet hanging 6 feet off the deck. All of the vertebrate in my back popped as my lower half tried to continue downward. Yes scary, and hard to get free from. My buddy just watched, much amused.

You'll love it yeti, just don't 'get tempted'. Such a fun canyon. But man, it beats the crap out of you.

As always Mark, nice TR!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

26. Likes Mountaineer liked this post