Thread: Utah BDR videos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dude are you here yet?

Keep in touch and lets ride.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    Dude are you here yet?

Keep in touch and lets ride.
    Not there yet, will be at Hovenweep by mid to late May. Will definitely touch base, I want to do a lot of riding.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

I've got a few things to do to get ready but am looking forward to some trail camping.
    I did get the dvd for the Utah scenic simple dirt road stuff and I may have another that will do it with us if I can just convince him that camping can be funner than hotels at 62.

I have forgot were your going to be working at? Gobblin Valley with the free showers?LOL
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

I'll be at Hovenweep and will stay in the staff quarters there so I won't have to camp all summer. Goblin Valley showers are handy, though, when you're over by the Maze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

I'm in just trying to work out the small details for camping.
    Should be a great summer and can't wait to get you into northern Utah into the pines and aspens. THe nice thing about Utah this only takes about 1 hr. Unless you love to eat Brookies.

Brookies are native here and are mostly c&r since acid rain about wiped them out. I know they are considered a pest out west, though. I want to get up to Dinosaur sometime this summer, too.

Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Brookies are the very best tasting trout and the way I cook them pink meat/cold water babies will melt in your mouth.
    THe high unitahs have a very sort season and they eat just the right bugs to make them so darn delicious.
    THe arctic greyling can be found in several lakes but it takes a real hike to get to them.
    THe pink meat cuthroats are not bad either.

The Brookies around here only can be found in cold snow run off areas and I suspect the ones your used to are no where near the same.

These are not speckeled trout:D Nor do they ever see salt water. They can can not live in warmer waters.

In Utah this is what we call a brookie:

Name:  Brookie.png
Views: 130
Size:  266.3 KB

If your real lucky you can get one at about 3 lbs and if your really lucky you know where 5lbers are but as a general rule they run fron fingerlings to about 1.5 lbs.
    7 to 14 inches is the norm.

Oh and in Utah they are true natives right up there with the Bonniville Cuthroats that tend to thrive in warmer waters in the desert.

It is funny how things change from region to region.
    EX: In Alaska trout are for the dogs and Salmon are for humans.

Actually, brookies are native to the eastern US and were introduced into Utah (and Colorado, etc.). They probably aren't stocked anymore, but they were at one time. In a lot of lakes and streams they out compete the native trout (rainbow, cutts) which is why a lot of folks in Colorado (at least) don't like them. In the northeast US they get very large (5+#), in the southern Appalachians they don't (6-12"), but they are delicious eating. I've caught 'specs' on a fly rod, too, and know the difference between them and brookies. I have heard people call brookies specs, though, it's all a regional thing.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

BTW, what weight fly rod do you use mostly? I am thinking about bringing a 5wt and a 3 or 4 wt.

Charlie...
    Stalking Light

LMAO if you only knew. Truth is I carry a nice knife and make my pole on the go with a number 2 hook upside sown for the top eye.
    My tackle box is an old secrets tin.

High my name is Mark and I'm just a hill billy with an badass dirt bike.:D

The last fly rod I owend?
    I think it was a graphite dewhickey thing that I broke cause I forgot to take my pack off when I srolled into a wilderness area with a shitter and ROOF.Snapped like a twig as I strolled into the shitter not thinkng about how high it stuck out of my pack. As for the name it left me at this time but in 1989 it was about 200 smacks.

Thus the simplicity of a good knife.

Out here brother I can make a pole and fry dinner before you can get that fancy real out.......

But i have owed many and I have to say it is addicting (FLy Fishing) But I nver paid more than 300 smacks for a real back then and the pole? say maybe 500 smacks.
    The tin is free the hardware not much more and life is good again.

It is an art that not many understand just yet.

Not real fancy but for me it's all about eating.....

BUT on a side note: I have not done this in over twenty years.
    But I carry this tin with me like I carry my fire starter.

And a really reliable knife

But I am a bit goofy and carry a really nice Tomahawk as well.

This is the crazy shit you run into when dealing with a fool that has been through some survival schools.

Can you start a fire from scratch?

Welcome to the west bro ask your employer about rabbit stick get together while your here.
    It is over for this year but ask anyways.

Been a long time since I built a fire from scratch, or needed to. ;)

Charlie...
    Stalking Light