Thread: Any slots or recommended fun in SW Arizona, Yuma area?

How did I get in this box dentedvw's Avatar

Any slots or recommended fun in SW Arizona, Yuma area?

I've been down here two weeks already, one week left to go and I am thinking maybe next time I will bring some gear to get out with. Looking around on Google maps, it looks like I might at least find some climbing to do, but will there be any possibilities of slot canyons, even small ones?
    I will be coming down here for two week stretches for the next year or so for work. I don't always get a weekend off, but occasionally.
    It takes too long to drive my Jeep down, or ride my motorcycle, so I would be in a rental car or maybe even an SUV if I find something I want to explore that will require 4x4.

Thoughts or recommendations?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume there isn't much info out about that area....

With the proximity to the US/MEX border I would say be cautious and aware of yourself and surroundings. High tension area that border region, action before thought is probably the reaction on both sides.....

But curious to see what you find :)

There is a small slot in the Lake Havasu area. It's named Sarah's Crack. Like I said it is very small but a nice desert hike to the lake with about 200yds of slot features including a Small pothole, easily avoided if chosen. No rappels in this canyon. Lake Havasu is about 2 hrs from Yuma. PM me if your interested.

Since I am looking for recommendations, I could make one myself too, I guess. Last time I was here, mid to late December, I went to Joshua Tree NP and I found one there. It was short also, I started by following a wash and it miraculously turned into more fun than I had hoped. No raps required, but there was areas you could have, if you wanted to. It took about 45 minutes to navigate, but I was being cautious because I was in a new area and wanted to make sure I had escapes. It ran out into a wide wash that dumped me into a main trail behind some palm trees/oasis. In the south eastern area of the park. If anyone wants more info, PM me and I will provide the best I can.
    Bshelton, PM coming your way too.

Thanks for the reminder of where I am, yeti. Sometimes I forget I am a white dude from the far north, and I am used to the border being with Canada, I am from Michigan. Not much to worry about from that direction, and the border is far more mellow. Maybe I shouldn't go wandering south, alone, in a rental car. Probably going north is a better idea.

I have done many trips near the border in that area, my fav is the El Camino Del Diablo from Ajo to Yuma. I don't know of many slots but the peak bagging is good here in these small granitic ranges and there are some nice canyons and some bouldering type climbing. I have driven and hiked solo in this area a bunch of times and had no trouble. The border patrol is usually who you will see. I have seen a few illegals and even some Sinoloa Cartel drug runners at a distance. Again, no problems and so far no vehicle break ins.
    Good hikes in area-- Castle Dome peak in the Kofa, Tinaja Altas peak in same name mountains ( good scrambling bouldering here) Cabeza Prieta peak, same name mountains, Peak 2014 out of Tule Well along the Camino, Sierra Pinta peak in same name mountains. A lot of this area does require a free permit as you are part of the time on the air force Barry Goldwater range. Mohawk peak in the same name range. Sheep mountain, et al. There are some mudstone slots near Yuma I went to one time but they are simply a walk thru.
    Sorry can't be of more help.
    Oh, and I am an older female hiker. Have backpacked in the Cabeza Prieta pass area solo and again, no problems. Way overblown in my opinion, just got to be observant and know where and what.
    You can rest when you're dead

Not a slot but I found some great places up in the Kofa mountains before. Palm canyon and others. And even though it is a Nat Monument and therefore has the accompanying rules and visitors, Organ Pipe Nat Mon is a great place to stomp around.

9. Likes dentedvw liked this post
    Great recommendations! Thanks everyone.
    I have been disappointed by the lack of things to do while here, so this helps a ton.