Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New shoes for the buggy

New shoes for the buggy

Got me some new tires finally for the buggy.

General Grabber Red Label competition stickies

Only problem is they found my weak link I still had in the drivetrain and grenaded one of my Chromoly birfields. It was the last piece that I havn't made bulletproof, so it was in need. Replace it with a 30 spline Longfield, like I already did with the other side and should be good to go

Name:  IMG_5931.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  136.5 KB

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

New shoes for the buggy

Nice! @JP would like your posts.

5. Likes JP liked this post

New shoes for the buggy

I was hoping for maxxis creepy crawlers, but I guess the generals will do...

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    I was hoping for maxxis creepy crawlers, but I guess the generals will do...
    I'd prefer BFG krawlers or trepadors, but I got a good deal

How do those birfield joints hold up compared to a Dana 44 open knuckle? I know they were constant trouble on the old Land Cruiser J40's. Sounds like a pricey fix.

Toyota rear axles stock are the same size as Dana 60 so they are bulletproof. Fronts you have to change to 30 spline Longfields. No issues then. They run about $700 for a set. Compared to building a Dana 44 or 60 that's nothing. After switching from jeep to toyota there is no going back. I only have $7000 into my buggy and my tow straps are worn out from dragging $30,000 jeeps around

Did you start with a Toyota frame? What other mods have you done? Curious about gears, lockers, etc.

Also, don't the Toy axles have a removable 3rd member like the Ford 9"?

Sorry for all the questions, but sounds like you have dang nice setup for only $7000

Started as a 88 toyota truck.
    Dual cases w/4.7 gears in the front case
    4.10 stock gearing in the third members. No need to change the gearing in the thirds because of the dual cases. It makes them stronger and cheaper.
    front and rear lockers
    30 spline front axles and birfields
    Hydro assist steering.
    i did the complete build including the cage myself so it really isn't that expensive.
    you easily spend $5000 building an axle for jeep that will handle 37" tires.
    ive built 2 jeeps previously, but never will again. Toyota is so much stronger and cheaper

12. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post

New shoes for the buggy

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Did you start with a Toyota frame? What other mods have you done? Curious about gears, lockers, etc.

Also, don't the Toy axles have a removable 3rd member like the Ford 9"?

Sorry for all the questions, but sounds like you have dang nice setup for only $7000
    Yes, yotas have a removable third.

One of these days I'm gonna get my '81 on locked fzj80 axles with a right hand drop transfer case...

How do those birfield joints hold up compared to a Dana 44 open knuckle? I know they were constant trouble on the old Land Cruiser J40's. Sounds like a pricey fix.
    The old LC's had a very small spline count on their axle shafts. Even though the splines looked big and beefy, that was there downfall. More splines, the better off you are.

We need more pics

What kind of lockers do you run?

I ran Detroits front and rear in my Bronco and absolutely loved them.

What kind of lockers do you run?
    I'll chime in here too...ARB's (ZJ), EZ-Lockers (Samurai) and now TracRite for the Dooge

New shoes for the buggy

Factory e-locker in my 4runner.

with a right hand drop transfer case...
    Regular NP205 or an Atlas type one?

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Regular NP205 or an Atlas type one?
    Atlas would be nice but I'll probably go with an ultimate dual from marlin. Keep it all yota. I need to find locked 80 axles first, then set em up with hellfire high steer knuckles.

It's all gonna be a few years down the road. Money's tight.

My buddy has a complete set of toyota axles set up with 529 gears and elockers. They are brand new and have never been run. He ended buying some Tera 60's instead. I bet he would let them go for $1500

What axels? Fzj80?

Atlas would be nice but I'll probably go with an ultimate dual from marlin. Keep it all yota. I need to find locked 80 axles first, then set em up with hellfire high steer knuckles.

It's all gonna be a few years down the road. Money's tight.
    Stay away from Marlin. His customer service and quality has went downhill. I had Marlin chromoly birfields and broke both of the with stock axle shafts. And he still wouldn't warranty them. Longfield and Trail Gear have a lifetime no question asked warranty. Nick broke his 30 spline Longfield, and they overnighted him a replacement even before the broken one was sent back. Marlin will barely answer an email or phone call.

You can build your own cases super easy and cheap. Get the 2 cases and I can get it done for you for free. All you need to 2 stock toyota cases and 4.7 gear set for one of them.

Hey toyota! I was riding around your stomping grounds on Saturday on my motorcycle. We parked out at warner and ended up on top of the mesa, then rode all the way around it. I saw a bunch of areas that ya'll crawl your rigs. I even rode through a few of them, up and down them on my moto.
    It was all overlooking Sand Hollow. Looks like a killer place to do it!

There is so much area and trails to go to its unreal. I wish I hadn't of sold my bikes, I would love to go out with you guys. There are tons of areas to ride bikes around here also. I had to cut my hobbies down. For the most part, it's rock krawling in the winter and canyons in the summer. They intermingle a bit, but it's nice because they are both friend and family oreinted

25. Likes Sandstone Addiction, accadacca liked this post