Thread: Hidden Falls Canyon

Hidden Falls Canyon

Although they don't get a lot of "press", there are several very nice canyons just outside Las Vegas, and several of these have the advantage of being doable year round. One of those is Hidden Falls, located in the Red Rocks Recreational Area. We have done the canyon twice recently, once on January 18th during a cold snap and then again on February 3rd when it was considerably warmer. Though the trips were only 2 weeks apart, the canyon had a very different vibe on the 2 trips, and certainly different from what it is like during the summer.

January 18, 2013
    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  170.8 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  192.5 KB

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  126.9 KB

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  447.3 KB

--------------------------------------------
    February 25, 2013
    Name:  22.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  198.4 KB

Name:  d121.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  d100.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  d069.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  160.5 KB

Name:  d032.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  207.7 KB

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  215.7 KB

Name:  d131.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  180.5 KB

2. Likes Udink, MrAdam liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome pics! Those Red Rocks canyons are high on my to do list, especially Ice Cube and Mud Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    Awesome pics! Those Red Rocks canyons are high on my to do list, especially Ice Cube and Mud Springs.
    X2 . I've been trying to get to Ice Cube for a while now. Really no excuse, it's only 2 hours away, just haven't got a group together and gone for it.

Great pics. What a difference a couple of weeks makes. I need to go try out some of these canyons. Definitely wanna go do ice cube at some point.

Nice - thanks for posting.
    Now I know where to go the next time I lose all my money in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by tcott View Post
    X2 . I've been trying to get to Ice Cube for a while now. Really no excuse, it's only 2 hours away, just haven't got a group together and gone for it.
    I'm good to go. Sorry I missed the last "cherry" trip

Well done. Laura and I did Hidden Falls two years ago during a spring break getaway to LV. We enjoyed the canyon but Laura did not appreciate that brutal approach hike as much as I did. Last year we returned for another escape from the SLC inversions and did Keyhole. We will be down there next weekend for a few days with another couple and I'm tasked with finding a canyon for us to do on Saturday. I'm thinking Ice Box or the sneak route into Ice Cube. If you can recommend either, have a favorite or better idea, I would love the input. Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Well done. Laura and I did Hidden Falls two years ago during a spring break getaway to LV. We enjoyed the canyon but Laura did not appreciate that brutal approach hike as much as I did. Last year we returned for another escape from the SLC inversions and did Keyhole. We will be down there next weekend for a few days with another couple and I'm tasked with finding a canyon for us to do on Saturday. I'm thinking Ice Box or the sneak route into Ice Cube. If you can recommend either, have a favorite or better idea, I would love the input. Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread...
    Most of the Red Rock and Mt Charleston canyons will be frigid this time of year. You can't get through The Maze (i.e., Ice Cube) without getting very wet and the narrow "slot" sections may be quite icy. The section before the last rap could be difficult. It also shares the same up hill start as Hidden Falls, but you go even further once on the top. I wouldn't recommend the sneak route as it does not save much time, isn't that much easier, and you miss half the fun. And since some idiot went through and bolted most of the upper section of the canyon last year, it is now quite easy.

Mud Springs will also be cold. I haven't done it in Feb, but I have done in early March and froze (although I only had a 3/2 wetsuit and I am not super tolerant of cold water). On Ice Box, I assume you also mean the sneak route as the full route starts up near the start to the Maze and Hidden Falls (it is the canyon between the two). Certainly doable, but again it will be cold.

Note any of the canyons starting off Rocky Gap Rd will now require a 4x4 or the 2.5 mile walk at the start as the road has deteriorated.

If you want dry canyons you will not freeze in, look at the ones south of Jean (Desperado or Antenna) or maybe Motorcycle in the Black Canyon area. All 3 are fun, but if Laura did not like the Hidden Falls approach, she will hate the approach to Deperado or Antenna (and both require a 4x4 to reach the start). Another to look at would be River Mountain Canyons in the Lake Mead Recreational area - an easy half day with about 8 raps and no shuttle or 4x4 needed. There are some other nice canyons in Black Canyon, such as Devil's Drain, but since they end at the river, they require a packraft trip exit or a long hike up and out other drainages.

You might also want to look at the canyons in the Virgin River Gorge, though they are mostly long and would require the drive from Vegas.

I'd love to catch it during a cold snap and do some ice climbing and canyoneering :)

Ive done that canyon at least a half dozen times but never with ice in it. Sweet pics Thanks
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

Hidden Falls Canyon

Very cool canyons. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by LVRAY View Post

You might also want to look at the canyons in the Virgin River Gorge, though they are mostly long and would require the drive from Vegas.

Fabulous pics - thanks! LVRAY, what canyons are there in the Virgin River Gorge?

Quote Originally Posted by arnellfam View Post
    Fabulous pics - thanks! LVRAY, what canyons are there in the Virgin River Gorge?
    I know of 2. I'll PM you with a link to the actual info and pictures (and anyone else who wants them) but here is the best desc. I bet they are an hour and half from Vegas, assuming you stay around 80mph the whole way like I do.

[QUOTE]
    Name: Cherry Canyon
    Length: 4-7 hours
    Shuttle: NoneCar: Passenger

Season: Low elevation canyon, All except mid summer, though river levels may complicate things

Description: A very pretty wooded limestone slot just off the interstate filled with rappels

Difficulties: Rappels up to 80 feet, minor buswhacking, anchor building is easy with plentiful trees

Access: Driving North on I-15, enter the virgin river gorge. The Virgin River will be on your left. The interstate soon passes over the river, leaving it on the right as the highway and canyon turn to the left. Park at the large pullout on the right of this left hand turn. This pullout is around 1.5 miles into the gorge, past mile marker 14. Approach: To approach this canyon, you will need to cross the Virgin River. It rises in the spring (around April) and perhaps as a result of very heavy rain, and could be dangerous at high levels. Levels can be found here: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?09413500. Depth and Velocity will vary at different levels. It was easy to cross and around thigh deep at 120 cfs. I
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by arnellfam View Post
    Cherry, Portal, Mayday have beta available. A few others others exist, but no beta is available online (that I know of).