Conviction for Operating a Commercial Business in Zion National Park
    Date: January 18, 2013

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Conviction for Operating a Commercial Business in Zion National Park
    Date: January 18, 2013

On December 4th, 2012, Steven Sieren was fined for engaging in a business operation in Zion National Park without a permit. Mr. Sieren paid a $500 fine for illegal guiding in the park and may be denied a Commercial Use Authorization in the future.

After receiving a tip from an outside source about a potential permit violation, Mr. Sieren was contacted by law enforcement rangers as he was attempted to obtain a permit for a trip into the popular canyon route "The Subway". Mr. Sieren initially denied the report that he was operating in a commercial capacity and insisted that he was traveling with friends. He later admitted to investigating rangers that he was operating an advertised commercial photography workshop in the park and was planning on leading one into the wilderness.

Commercial guiding and other business operations in wilderness are prohibited by federal law. 90% of Zion National Park is managed as wilderness. Certain commercial activities are permitted in areas of the park that are not designated as wilderness, but all commercial activities require a Commercial Use Authorization from Zion National Park. Information about Commercial Use Authorizations can be found on the Zion National Park website at http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/permits.htm.
    Amazing...

Amazing that the fine is only $500.00. CRAZY.

"Commercial guiding and other business operations in wilderness are prohibited by federal law."

also amazing that Zion National Park continues to make this blatantly untrue statement. YUCK

Tom

Keyhole - permit for 12.
    Two guides and 10 clients
    $125.00 each x10 = $1250.00

I believe $125.00 is the current going rate for a guided trip through Yankee Doodle.

And you don't really need to worry about insurance and such in this case because you are already illegal so what the heck. Also your risks of actually getting caught are pretty slim.

Yup.... finically it will work. At least it would if you are an individual that has no real outside financial interests or worth. People don't bring lawsuits against poor people because there is no value in it and nothing to be gained.

5. Likes Kuya liked this post
    I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make something out of this but I'm a natural resources management student at The U and I can't let what you said slide Tom. I mean no offense but some people take what you say to heart and that can lead to difficult feelings towards land management. More informtion can help citizens make their own opinions.

Taken from the Wilderness Act:
    (c) Prohibition provisions: commercial enterprise, permanent or temporary roads, mechanical transports, and structures or installations; exceptions: area administration and personal health and safety emergencies Except as specifically provided for in this chapter, and subject to existing private rights, there shall be no commercial enterprise and no permanent road within any wilderness area designated by this chapter and, except as necessary to meet minimum requirements for the administration of the area for the purpose of this chapter (including measures required in emergencies involving the health and safety of persons within the area), there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area.

Further along it does mention:
    5) Commercial services Commercial services may be performed within the wilderness areas designated by this chapter to the extent necessary for activities which are proper for realizing the recreational or other wilderness purposes of the areas.

However, this is up to the land manager to interpret as it says "proper for realizing the recreational or other wilderness purposes of the areas." If the land managers of said wilderness areas do not believe canyoneering is proper for the use of that area (I've always gotten the sense Zion's "wilderness" is BS to justify keeping the masses out of most of the park) then they can deny commercial access.

In other words, the restrictions are vague and on an area by area basis. If an area does not get enough attention, maybe commercial services can exist. Zion's canyons get a ton of attention however so they decided to not allow it.

LIke I said, I don't mean to offend or stir the pot. There is enough of that going around this site lately. I just have a little bit of background to add to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerproblems View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make something out of this but I'm a natural resources management student at The U and I can't let what you said slide Tom. I mean no offense but some people take what you say to heart and that can lead to difficult feelings towards land management. More informtion can help citizens make their own opinions.

Taken from the Wilderness Act:
    (c) Prohibition provisions: commercial enterprise, permanent or temporary roads, mechanical transports, and structures or installations; exceptions: area administration and personal health and safety emergencies Except as specifically provided for in this chapter, and subject to existing private rights, there shall be no commercial enterprise and no permanent road within any wilderness area designated by this chapter and, except as necessary to meet minimum requirements for the administration of the area for the purpose of this chapter (including measures required in emergencies involving the health and safety of persons within the area), there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area.

Further along it does mention:
    5) Commercial services Commercial services may be performed within the wilderness areas designated by this chapter to the extent necessary for activities which are proper for realizing the recreational or other wilderness purposes of the areas.

However, this is up to the land manager to interpret as it says "proper for realizing the recreational or other wilderness purposes of the areas." If the land managers of said wilderness areas do not believe canyoneering is proper for the use of that area (I've always gotten the sense Zion's "wilderness" is BS to justify keeping the masses out of most of the park) then they can deny commercial access.

In other words, the restrictions are vague and on an area by area basis. If an area does not get enough attention, maybe commercial services can exist. Zion's canyons get a ton of attention however so they decided to not allow it.

LIke I said, I don't mean to offend or stir the pot. There is enough of that going around this site lately. I just have a little bit of background to add to the story.
    Thank you for clarifying the law of the situation. But, I think you supported my point. Federal Law does not prohibit commercial activities in Wilderness - it prohibits it when it does not promote the recreational purposes of the area.

Many parks have commercial services in Wilderness Areas. Grand Canyon has extensive guided hiking. Yosemite has extensive climbing guiding, including big wall climbing. Denali Natl Park has extensive guided climbing. All in Congressionaly-designated Wilderness Areas. Thus, it is not PROHIBITED by Federal Law, which, after all, was my point.

Tom

Late addition: Yes, Zion NP has instituted a policy to not have guiding in Wilderness Areas. But this is a matter of policy, not of Federal Law prohibiting commercial activities in Wilderness - which is what the Press Release states.

Tom

8. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Looking over the individuals website, looks like he is out of California. He clearly shows trips in Zions and has pictures of the Subway posted. Looks like he knew exactly what he was offering clients and where he was taking them.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Quote Originally Posted by gingerproblems View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make something out of this but I'm a natural resources management student at The U .......
    Thanks for the intelligent response and for clarifying the issue for the rest of us.

Are National Parks a different designation than a Wilderness Areas??
    Is Zion both a national park and wilderness area?

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    Are National Parks a different designation than a Wilderness Areas??
    Is Zion both a national park and wilderness area?
    They are separate and overlapping designations, both made by Congress.

Much of Zion is designated Wilderness. The roads and developed areas in the main canyon, and the Narrows up to the junction with Orderville are not Wilderness, but most of the backcountry is.

Here's the full size map (pdf): http://www.nps.gov/zion/naturescienc...x17_250dpi.pdf

and the smaller version:

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post