Thread: Assault in Iron County

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Assault in Iron County

This happened to a very good friend.
    If you have any information please call the Iron County Sheriff

If you are a real estate agent, please be careful showing property. This was in a very rural area but could happen anywhere.

http://www.ironcounty.net/department...vated-robbery/
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post

If you are a real estate agent, please be careful showing property. This was in a very rural area but could happen anywhere.

Wow. Very scary. Hope she is doing all right. And hope they catch the sick SOB.

Recently, I've spent a lot of time looking for residence at apartment buildings, and homes for sale. I found it oddly peculiar that when I went to most apartment buildings, the staff will require a copy of ID before they take you on a tour of a model or open unit. They claim it is for their protection in case the person they are showing tries to do something to them while in the apartment. They also claim its the law.

But, when you call up a real estate agent to see one of their listings, they don't ask for any I'd or anything. They'll just show up anytime anywhere to show you the property, alone, and not ask for any I'd or anything, and gladly show you the property.

I've thought that between the two situations, I'd be more cautious as a real estate agent than a apartment building host when showing a property. In an apartment building, you're taking someone at most a 5 min walk from your office to the unit., where you're among other dwellings with people inside. As a real estate agent, you're going to who knows where, maybe the middle of nowhere (especially in rural Iron Co) with possibly nobody around.

Yeah, real estate agents need to be more and more careful each day. One occupation where I would definitely consider carrying firearm, if not at least pepper spray.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post

That sucks. I hope they catch this douche. Female real estate agents should have another 3rd party present when showing homes to a guy/s. My wife has a real estate license, but no way in hell would I let her go out to show a house alone to just one male client.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    I've thought that between the two situations, I'd be more cautious as a real estate agent than a apartment building host when showing a property. In an apartment building, you're taking someone at most a 5 min walk from your office to the unit., where you're among other dwellings with people inside. As a real estate agent, you're going to who knows where, maybe the middle of nowhere (especially in rural Iron Co) with possibly nobody around.
    Interesting, but just to play devil's advocate (something I do quite often 'round here)...

I wonder if they have a better chance at getting away with it in the apartments.
    • Easier to blend in with more people coming in and out
    • Apartments are often in lower income neighborhoods
    • If you had to run, you could leave your car in the parking lot with others to blend in, rather than sitting there in the parking lot alone at a house
    • In apartments, people are always coming and going. You have a 6 plex and nobody would think twice about a stranger walking out the door right next to them.

Houses definitely have their benefits for the thugs though, sometimes the agent will drive you in their vehicle to the house so you have all that opportunity alone with them. You assault them then take their car.

My family owns apartments, multiple 6 and 4 plex units. There are some whackos out there.