Thread: Google Maps releases 9,500 panoramic images of the Grand Canyon

Google Maps releases 9,500 panoramic images of the Grand Canyon

Check this out! I guess people will never need to visit the Grand Canyon...

GRAND CANYON — A recent Google Maps release allows users to experience the Grand Canyon without actually being there.

Google announced last week the release of panoramic imagery of one of the world's most well-known natural wonders, with more than 75 miles of trails and surrounding roads mapped.

Some of the areas mapped include the famous Bright Angel Trail, the Colorado River and many of the canyon overlooks.
    "You'll be happy you're virtually hiking once you get to the steep inclines of the South Kaibab Trail," said a post on the Google Maps blog. "And rather than drive a couple hours to see the nearby Meteor Crater, a click of your mouse or tap of your finger will transport you to the rim of this otherworldly site."

The Google Maps crew used the Android-operated Trekker, a wearable camera system, to map parts of the Grand Canyon inaccessible to vehicles and other traditional mapping equipment. The team "wound along the rocky terrain on foot, enduring temperature swings and a few muscle cramps along the way," according to Google.

The result of the journey was more than 9,500 panoramic images of the canyon.

Source: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=23957210

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Who would like to pack that thing around on their back? I bet Google is looking for volunteers...

Why go into the wilderness when you can do it from your easychair... Maybe this will be the new way to protect wild utah.....
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Agreed, maybe people will feel less inclined to actually go there. More for me:)

Now if only they'd do it for Zion....

7. Likes DOSS liked this post
    Is this the new Show Don't Tell policy in action?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Is this the new Show Don't Tell policy in action?
    They put this out there because of the large numbers of Iphone users that are using Apple Maps and can't find the Grand Canyon...

Blog Entries

Come up next: the Virgin Narrows and Angels Landing
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"