Thread: Roost ideas

Roost ideas

Over spring break I'm planing on going to the roost with my family. my dad is 220 and 6.2" would he fit in red spur or is it to skinny. Also what other canyons would be Good to do?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What kind of experience do you have? Big raps, anchor building, stemming exposure, etc? How about your dad? Canyons that would be "Good to do" will vary greatly on the skills of both of you.

Not sure about Red Spur, but High Spur was beautiful and very easy, not tight at all.

It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

The only canyon my dad has done is baptist draw. But for me I'm a beginner with natural anchors. But I know how to set up choke stone anchors and other webbing anchors. The hardest canyon ive done is Alcatraz. And the longest rappel 150 ft.

Red Spur will require you to come up with an interesting anchor at one drop (hook, sandtrap or something).

North Fk Robbers Roost is easy and and not skinny, except for the climb out but that isnt too difficult. All of the forks of Blue John (except the Squeeze Fk) would be good. High Spur would be good. So would Larry.

Hook anchor shouldnt be to hard with a backup meat/potshot type sandtrap. I think I can do that, ill have to play around at home/controlled area.

I did red spur last summer with a big guy probably about the same size as your dad, there were some really tight spots, but the canyon isn't really that deep in most spots and you can back up to an area you can climb up and go around spots that are too tight. I wouldn't recommend the canyon as a first though as there are ones that are a lot more fun in the same area. If you haven't done anything in the area then Not Mindbender and Larry canyons are both musts in my book.

thanks for the ideas. ive heard water canyon fun but i don't know if it is to skinny for my dad (~220 6.2") any ideas? also what canyoneering book is the best for the roost?
    is this a good one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Explori.../dp/0944510256

The best source of info for the roost that I've found is actually www.climb-utah.com and it also has tons of other areas as well. Kelsey's books are good and have a lot of info but they can be confusing at first glance so make sure you read through the description carefully since it is all small print and packed in there. Also unless you are an experienced canyoneer and move fast plan on going over his time estimates.

12. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    I have spent 3 separate weeks in the Roost descending 10 different canyons. Evert trip was with at least a couple beginners. My favorites were:

1) Larry Canyon- Really fun narrows section. straightforward rappels from chokestones or boulders. interesting climb out of the canyon too but bring a map, it can be overlooked easily.
    2) White Roost (west fork)- A really fun dark and slanted slot. exhausting walking sideways for a while but super fun short slides in the slanted section. Also fun to quote Kelsey's guidebook, "darkest spot of the slanted slot"
    3) No Mans Canyon- fun pothole hopping. easy down climbing. Really nice long free rappel at the end of the slot. a bit eerie seeing evidence of a stuck canyoneer from a few years ago though. makes you think.

Have fun. Robbers Roost is one of my favorite places. The open canyon walks are just as beautiful as the slotted sections. And it always feels like you have the whole place to yourself.

14. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBird View Post
    I have spent 3 separate weeks in the Roost descending 10 different canyons. Evert trip was with at least a couple beginners. My favorites were:

1) Larry Canyon- Really fun narrows section. straightforward rappels from chokestones or boulders. interesting climb out of the canyon too but bring a map, it can be overlooked easily.
    2) White Roost (west fork)- A really fun dark and slanted slot. exhausting walking sideways for a while but super fun short slides in the slanted section. Also fun to quote Kelsey's guidebook, "darkest spot of the slanted slot"
    3) No Mans Canyon- fun pothole hopping. easy down climbing. Really nice long free rappel at the end of the slot. a bit eerie seeing evidence of a stuck canyoneer from a few years ago though. makes you think.

Have fun. Robbers Roost is one of my favorite places. The open canyon walks are just as beautiful as the slotted sections. And it always feels like you have the whole place to yourself.
    thanks these descriptions white roost sounds fun being in a dark abyss it kind of reminds me of the slots in Alcatraz. no mans sounds fun, in most of the TR i read of no mans they don't tell much about the potholes so thanks for clearing up any info ive missed.

If u r in the white roost area...check out the north fork of robbers roost...a scenic canyon with four or five rappers.