Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help with zion canyoneering questions

Lots of dry canyons near Moab and in Arches NP :) Just have to be careful of the snow.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Undeveloped camping is everywhere and that is even less expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Undeveloped camping is everywhere and that is even less expensive...
    How do I go finding it? At least next time I come over? I found it quite confusing and I didn't want to find myself camping where I'm not supposed to.

I think you are worrying about it too much. When it gets closer, post up and invite and there were will be plenty of people to go with you. There are plenty of canyons for you to do on your visit

6. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Dragonfly is a nice canyon in Arches, but you may run into a bit of water in the potholes....nowhere near enough to worry about hypothermia though. There's also some nice hiking in Arches right near the campsite if you're staying at Devils Garden.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaimer View Post
    How do I go finding it? At least next time I come over? I found it quite confusing and I didn't want to find myself camping where I'm not supposed to.
    Tons of BLM land in S. Utah, and on both sides of Zion where you can camp for free and get away from those noisey Zion campgrounds. Stop by the BLM office in St George, it is a map lovers paradise:
    http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/st__george.html

So in Arches I believe you would be staying in the Devils Garden campground which is a slow albeit scenic 18 miles from the park entrance. After 4 days you may get sick of that road. If you were planning on visiting the Squaw Flat/Needles district, you could camp not far from the park entrance. There is a private campground called Needles Outpost. I've never camped there. There has been forum chatter that a crazy lady runs the place. That may no longer be the case. I camp about three miles from the park entrance. There is a good dirt road turnoff to the north (Lockhart Basin Rd). Just a few hundred yards down that road on the left is a perfectly pleasant roadside place to camp. Maybe a half mile further is a small BLM campground, Hamburger Rock.

In the Zion area the following link offers up some camping options:

http://zion100.wordpress.com/2012/02...mping-options/

I don't believe Arches or Zion parks has showers. Bryce does. You may want to pack one of those solar heated shower bags.

Finally, if you're flying in/out of Vegas you may want to consider doing Anniversary Narrows.

Please help with zion canyoneering questions

If you google search for "Moab showers" you can find a list of about ten places that offer showers to campers for around $5.

The needles outpost lady is out there, unfortunately I would have to advise not to count on anything from that place based on mine and other's experiences.

There are a lot of places on the blm to camp by arches and needles. The wife and I decided to go for the $35/night hotel in Moab instead of the $20/night arches campground.

Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    I camp about three miles from the park entrance. There is a good dirt road turnoff to the north (Lockhart Basin Rd). Just a few hundred yards down that road on the left is a perfectly pleasant roadside place to camp.
    Is that a free primitive campground?

Maybe a half mile further is a small BLM campground, Hamburger Rock.
    Is that one bookable or first come first serve?

I don't believe Arches or Zion parks has showers. Bryce does. You may want to pack one of those solar heated shower bags.
    I've had good luck with a 6L MSR dromedary so far. Just enough to "shower" two people with a drizzle.

Finally, if you're flying in/out of Vegas you may want to consider doing Anniversary Narrows.
    Will look into it.

The reason I booked arches for four nights is because canyonlands didn't have a bookable campground, so if worst came to worst I'd be exploring canyonlands out of arches. I know it seems backwards, but I just wanted to get it over with and have places to stay. The whole thing was quite spontaneous - book tickets first, then start planning the trip and looking at parks and possible things to do.

My booked schedule so far looks like this:
    fly into vegas - first night there is a hotel
    then three nights at grand canyon
    two nights for petrified forest/canyon de chelly
    four nights at arches (explore canyonlands from there)
    two nights at bruce canyon
    two nights at zion
    vegas - fly out

I know it's probably not optimal, but I was sick of looking at everything online and wanted to get it over with cause I had work deadlines coming up and would not be able to look at it seriously again for a while. Having to find, research and book each private campground is a pain and the owners of those often seem certifiably insane.

But I have a feeling I'll be coming back for more, so next time... :)

[QUOTE=kalaimer;525686]Is that a free primitive campground? Free, just a carcamp friendly spot along the road. Probably more like it if you were to travel further north on the dirt road.

Is that one bookable or first come first serve? First come, first serve. Fee $6. There's a second BLM campground further north along the road.

Oh well. What the heck. Next time I'll camp around for free.

This trip I'll help out the economy on my meager budget :)

You're going to have a great time in all those places you're planning to visit...and yes, you will be back for more. We go to Utah every year. Have fun!!