Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irish Jihad 2013 - A Fundraiser For SAR

Blog Entries

Irish Jihad 2013 - A Fundraiser For SAR

Cool, thanks for the info Penny. Definitely shaping up nocely
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Do these canyons generally hold very much snow or ice in the winter?

I want to make a trip over and do some if not all the canyons prior to the full go at the 'Jihad'

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Do these canyons generally hold very much snow or ice in the winter?

I want to make a trip over and do some if not all the canyons prior to the full go at the 'Jihad'
    They are in the snow-shadow of the Henries, and are down fairly low, so they tend to be pretty close to snow-free, except after a major storm. I think they are mostly dry now.

Tom

Any one from salt lake area going on a weekend? I would love to come if someone has room for me

Hey Toyota, I was going to suggest that if the Moab fest is on hold and you are going to be in that part of the state any way; you ought to swing by the North Wash this weekend and check it out.
    The last storm hit fairly hard but it was melting very fast last weekend. I agree with Tom. It is going to be mostly dry this weekend. With just a 30% chance of precipitation, NW might get missed entirely.
    Penny

As I plotted my route in North Wash last weekend, I thought of 50 ways to cheat on this thing. It occurred to me that someone might try to use Rosen math.

What is Rosen math? A few years ago Tom Jones and Steve Brezovek did Heaps and Imlay in a day. Their time was 23 hours. Some time after that, Mark Rosen decided to give it a try and took a team including Jason ? and Drue?. Their time was almost 28 hours.
    According to Rosen math, Doc beat Tom. His reasoning goes something like this:

...We did get three people down in 28 hours or 9 hours 20 minutes
    a person while they took 23 hours for two people or 11 hours 30
    minutes a person. So they need to cut about 4 hours and 20 minutes
    off their time. Yeah right...

Rosen math will not be allowed.

The full story can be read on yahoo canyons if you have a membership there. Just search under Once in a Blue Moon for the whole story.

Penny

Originally posted by Mark Rosen @ yahoo canyon
    June 15, 2007

Once in a Blue Moon

After hearing about Tom Jones' and Steve Brezovec's just Imlay and Heaps in a day (Jihad) last September I got the bug to try it. I turned 50 in February and wanted to do something that required a bit of a stretch. I communicated with Tom and got the details of their event and I asked some friends if they would like to join me. I spent a lot of time reading Tom's reports over and over and planning. We planned for nutrition, fluid, and gear. Tom served at a technical advisor and helped us a lot.
    I began to work out in the winter in the gym and by climbing Mt Olympus. People climb it all year long. On Jeff Dredge's recommendation I bought some stableicers at REI which along with trekking poles make climbing it in winter and in icy conditions quite pleasant. I worked out in the gym on the elliptical and climbed.

Drue worked out with his personal trainer extensively. Jason worked with a dietitian and trainer. Drue and I hiked together at times and Jason joined me for some canyons but mostly we worked out on our own.

We discussed equipment and thought of routes. At first I was going to start from the bottom and climb the hill twice but after I followed Tom's suggestion and started to carry a 30+ pound pack up Olympus I thought we should do as Tom and Steve did and start at the West Rim trailhead by Lava Point, drop gear at Imlay, proceed on to Heaps and then back to Imlay.

We got the gear assembled and things were ready to go and then I got sick a week before we were to do the event. Saturday, Sunday and Monday my throat hurt so bad I it was difficult to swallow. I wasn't sleeping well and my energy was gone. Luckily it was a Holiday weekend and I could rest a lot and self medicate. I considered dropping out but when would I get the chance to do it again? You only turn 50 once. I have a busy job, a wife and 5 kids, if I dropped now I wouldn't have another chance for at least another year. By Thursday 31 May 07 the cough was getting better and I felt better. I was all packed. My partners were ready it was to be a full moon and a Blue Moon at that. We had a support crew of Joe Mills (Drue's future son-in-law) and his friend Ryan Vanderwerf. I had taken off work, the weather was hot but clear, no thunderstorms. I wish that I had my usual energy but the stars were aligned. It was now or never.

The trip begins
    On 31 May 07 we went down to St. George and dinner at the Olive Garden and then went and checked into a cabin at the Zion River Resort in Virgin. We did our final prep. I took a cough suppressant, an Ambien, and an aspirin and went to bed. At about 12:30 I woke up, ate and by 1 we had left. We drove up the Kolob Terrace road and to the west rim trailhead.

Off the Rim into Phantom Valley
    We put on our packs, got our pictures taken, and were on the trail by 2 AM Friday 1 June 2007. Drue set the pace. At 3:30 we dropped gear near the first rap at Potato Hollow. The GPS unit came in handy to locate the first drop in the dark and at 5 AM I slid down the rope followed by Jason and then Drue. We pulled the line and headed down to the next rap.

Phantom Valley Narrows One and Two
    We were suited up and ready to start the first narrows at 7 AM. Jason led and we finished it at 7:37. We started the second narrows which was fine except for dropping a rope bag in a pothole we could bridge. I went in after it and started to get cold before I could get out. That and I expended more energy getting out than I would have liked. We finished the second narrows, walked through the crossroads, and started the third narrows.

Narrows of Heaps
    I took a picture in the long sandy corridor at 8:32 AM. We were on time and doing well. In the final narrows Jason got cold and I got really cold. By the time we finished I was shivering uncontrollably and stumbling. Jason wasn't as cold but he was still suffering. Drue was doing well with his heavier wet suit. Drue and Jason changed on the sandy ledge before starting the two in canyon rappels while I set and did the first and changed out of the wet suit between rappels. Jason was down at the bottom of the second rap (last in canyon rap) when I rapped that, grabbed a rope and went down the corridor and made the climb up. I did the down climb, set the short rap and stood by the tree looking down at Upper Emerald Pool. I took a picture looking down on the pool, it was 11:29. I remember being disappointed that we had lost so much time in the final narrows. Jason pointed out that we had gone through faster with four of us last year. I had chosen to wear a lighter wetsuit feeling that I could move faster in it and figuring that it was early and we were fresh. I sat there hugging the tree and warming up.

The final Heaps Raps
    Drue and Jason arrived with more rope and we rapped to the final perch. It seemed that at the final perch I finally warmed up. Because two of us had gotten hypothermic we were slower and more methodical than normal. Jason rapped to the bottom, then Drue. I rigged the lines to pull, had them pull the two 150s to the side and do a test pull and then came down, very slowly but in control.

Heaps is done
    Joe and Ryan were waiting for us at the bottom with subway sandwiches and gator aid. Yum. We recovered, pulled, stuffed, and coiled rope and discussed what to do next. I was unnerved and ready to call it a day. We could get up the next and take our support crew down a canyon. We were hopelessly behind on our schedule that we had thought up so many times before. I felt tired and really bad. I was sick and coughing. I was ready to throw in the towel. Drue felt good and wanted to get on with it. Jason said he had told too many people what we were doing to quit now. We gathered things and headed to the car. It was 1 PM. We used three 8 mm ropes, two 150s and a 300. The only thing we used one of the 150s for was to pull the last two raps or maybe we double roped the penultimate rap.

Imlay
    It was hot that day and getting to Imlay was not much fun. The next picture is of Drue and Jason at the top of Imlay. It is 5:30 and we are about to set the first rap. We have three 8 mm ropes, a 180, 124 and 100. We used the 180 for the headwall series and then put it in the dry bag. We used the 124 and the 100 a lot.

Upper Imlay
    I have a picture of us stuffing rope at the bottom of the headwall at 7:21 PM. I don't have another picture until we were at the car at 5:59 AM the next day so most of this is from memory. Once the headwall was done the going is pretty easy and pretty fast. We suited up just before it got dark after working our way down canyon an hour or so. I wanted to skip the rap series by the crossroads by going up to the left and down-climb by the slanted wall but it was dark by then and I didn't recognize that we were there until I felt the warm water and then I knew I had missed the bypass. I found in the dark with headlamp illumination it was difficult to tell just how steep the exit was to some of the potholes. I remember peering into a pothole and up the other side and thinking that the exit looks like it could be tough. I called up Jason who had a look and said he didn't think it was so bad. The age and night vision thing can be frustrating. Down the canyon we went. Through the easy stuff and the swim before the extreme narrows.

Extreme Narrows
    We reached the extreme narrows at midnight. Drue thought it would take us 4 more hours but I thought six. I explained that we could bypass the extreme narrows and save 70 minutes and for that matter we could bypass the terminal narrows but I didn't think it would save us any time. Jason and Drue both felt like they were 85% and I felt like I was 35% but we agreed that we need to do the whole canyon. I set the rope and we started with Jason in the lead. We passed the heart room and I had to tell the guys how we were in the very soul of Zion. There were a couple difficult exits even for Jason. I didn't know that Jason had never hooked out of a pothole. We arrived at some holes that Jason couldn't climb out of and Jason quickly gained proficiency with the hooks with me, being a load, called instructions from a dry perch above the pothole. We finished the extreme narrows at 1:45 AM and headed down to the terminal narrows.

Terminal Narrows
    Jason hooked out of two holes in the terminal narrows. We were amazed that the storms had moved a huge log from the third to last pothole down to the second to last pothole. This made the exit from the third to last hole more challenging but Drue and Jason were up to the task. Once they were through I just hooked up a guided rappel and slid down. It was good to come out on the final perch. The three of us along with Jason's father had spent the night there once. Not this time. I set the line and we were at the Virgin with our ropes bagged at 4 AM.

The Narrows
    Now we just had to walk out in the dark without breaking an ankle. Drue led. An hour into it I asked for a rest stop and then it was off again. Seeing water from Mystery Springs come down on the left has never felt so good. When we hit the paved river walk I knew we could make it in without incident. When we arrived the support crew was sleeping in the suburban. We took a couple pictures as they woke up, took off our wet stuff and piled into the suburban. On the way out we passed the first bus of the day coming up canyon.

Epilogue
    Jason is strong and a very capable canyoneer. There were many pools where I would have had to use hooks, a happy hooker, or a pack toss that Jason just jumped in swam across and climbed out of. I was impressed and proud just to watch him. I took him down his first canyon when he was one of my scouts at 14. Now at 27 his skills far surpass mine. While I know how to hook, rig and some slick rope tricks he catches on to those pretty quickly but I'll never be the climber he is

Drue was strong and steady. He carried the most weight like the 300 foot rope through Heaps. He was always energetic and never complained about pulling more than his share. When we needed power we called on Drue. He set the pace for the hiking sections.

I helped out on rope work, rigging, and mostly pulling and bagging rope. Hey, don't underestimate the value of an efficient rope puller and bagger. You get a rope hung up and it can slow everyone down a lot. Drue and Jason pulled me through and I know it.

For the trip Drue purchased two new full 5mm suits from Sierra Trading Post

Heaps:
    I wore a well used 4/3 full suit
    Jason wore a 3/2 with a shorty over the top
    Drue wore a brand new 5 full suit

I am thinner than Jason and Drue--skinner needs more warmth. I don't usually get cold so I don't know how much being sick entered in

Imlay: nobody was cold in Imlay
    Drue wore a second 5 mm identical to the first one he wore through Heaps Jason wore a 4 with a shorty over the top I wore a Camero canyon Farmer John which is 6 mm and lined to be warm, a 1mm body glove shirt long sleeve (may be 1.5 mm) and a 3.2 mm ski warm jacket over the top. I didn't always zip up the jacket. Nice front zippers. I wasn't cold at all but that neoprene can inhibit the climbing moves a bit.

Water level
    It is down from what it was and it isn't in easy mode but it isn't in super hard mode either. We didn't have to hook out of anything in Heaps. What you do is very skill dependent. While Jason can climb out of some very difficult situations I hook and pack toss, etc. We had a hooker, a potshot, and the packs but all Jason used were the bat hooks in Imlay.

Canyon Studs, Posers and delusions of Grandeur I think that we pretty much proved that Tom and Stevee are the Canyon Studs. While I kept repeating that it isn't a race, the group size and conditions are different, it isn't a secret we would have liked to beat their time. Well we exceeded it by almost 5 hours. So I'm a poser. We did get three people down in 28 hours or 9 hours 20 minutes a person while they took 23 hours for two people or 11 hours 30 minutes a person. So they need to cut about 4 hours and 20 minutes off their time. Yeah right.

The whole thing was a process that I'm glad I went through. The months of preparation. The hours of contemplating the challenges. The camaraderie with not only Drue and Jason but also Tom who was our technical advisor. At 50 I should know myself and my limits. I know that I'm not the best climber around and try to compensate with slick rope tricks, rigging, potshots, pack tosses, hookers, and bat hooks. Maybe keeping the skills up is one reason I like hanging out with others such as Rich Carlson, Charlie Oliver, and Tom who have vast knowledge of how to be safe. If you are reading this and have a desire to try it, go for it, but also take the courses, be safe. It is better to be slow and sound than make a mistake and get hurt or worse. I did Heaps and Imlay in a day—ok maybe a day and two nights.I won't be doing it again. My specialty is get up early, do Imlay through the shortcut route with a large group of friends and get back early enough to soak in the hot tub before dinner at the Pizza and Noodle and sleeping in a nice bed in an air-conditioned room.

10. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Duke and Jessica Alvey, owners of Stan's Burger Shak/Chevron and Whispering Sands Hotel in Hanksville, are also members of the Wayne County High Angle SAR Team. They are embracing the canyoneering community in a variety of ways. They have a small selection of canyon gear for sale in their store; harnesses, helmets, carabiners, gloves, etc. If you forgot something, they may be able to salvage your weekend.
    They have also started a community board located outside on the front of their building. Canyoneers are welcome to leave messages regarding your whereabouts, canyon/road conditions, etc.
    Stan's Burger Shak/Chevron station has signed on as a sponsor of the Irish Jihad. They will donate matching funds up to $500 for the fundraiser. They will also provide a free shake to those who complete the Jihad. On your way home from the canyons, stop in and claim a tasty frozen mound of deliciousness.

Penny

Thanks to Tom Jones' generosity we now have a longer (and more impresssive) list of prizes for the drawing of the Irish Jihad. All those who complete the route will be entered into the drawing for a sandtrap, Lep pack, rope bags, fiddlesticks (from Bluugnome), or a rest stop bucket toilet.
    Thanks Tom. I appreciate your donation and support of the Irish Jihad.

Penny

13. Likes Kuya, ratagonia liked this post
    My peeps let me know it was looking bad that I hadn't registered for the Jihad, so I have thrown my hat into the ring. Now, I'm looking for partners.
    I've lost count of how many times I have done the Irish canyons, but it has been many. For those who don't know me, I have been canyoneering for over a dozen years. I have done hundreds of canyons from the easiest to some of the hardest. I tend to solo but can play well with others.
    I'd be interested in an all woman team, or an all grey hair team, or any kind of mixed team; gender, generation, experience level, etc.
    I'm looking for partners with commitment, and creativity. I want a cool team name.
    Anyone interested in teaming up with an over-the-hill grandmother of 3?

Penny

15. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    sounds like great fun! ultra running and canyoneering, who'd a thunk it?

Question, which SAR do the proceeds go to?
    "oh man, i forgot the rope."

It was only a few short years ago that Wayne County had a $10,000 budget for SAR. The year that 127 Hours came out their budget was cut to $3000 and their calls for assistance were magnified. It was clear that SAR needed help and that Wayne County's wasn't the only one.

It was a tough decision as to which SAR to support. The Irish Canyons are in Garfield County, but Wayne County quite often responds to that area. In talking to ground team members for Wayne County, it became plain that the protocol is very strict. I talked to Sheriff Taylor, Wayne County Sheriff, he said the money is rightfully Garfield County's. I called Sheriff Peters(on), Garfield County Sheriff, he jumped at the opportunity for support, but said he would gladly share with Wayne County. I told him we probably wouldn't raise enough to split between two counties. What he said next almost made me cry. I was so glad I was speaking to him by phone. I do not posses a poker face. He said he would be thrilled to have a hundred bucks for gas money to get his teams to a training at Fish Lake in June. I was overwhelmed by such a humble request.

We made our decision. As we moved forward with the planning of the Jihad, we asked Jared at NorthWash to process our donations. He asked where our funds were going because he belongs to SAR in that area of the state. I was rather chagrined to tell him the monies were already spoken for. He has an idea for a fundraiser and I have volunteered to help with that when the Jihad is done.

There is much need out there for SAR funding. These are people with their own lives, jobs, and families who give of their time, energies and money to help us. They pay when we play too close to the edge.

The Irish Jihad will be splitting its proceeds between Garfield County and Wayne County. A fundraiser for the southeastern part of the state will be held in the future.

Penny

18. Likes ratagonia, Kuya liked this post
    Next Sunday, March 17, is the opening day of the Irish Jihad. I don't suspect that many will try it then. Days are still quite short. People might find this link helpful in planning.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html

We have 8 teams so far. Five of those teams are 2 person teams. Of those, 3 are teams of married couples, 1 is a team of brothers, and 1 is a team of friends.
    Two teams are teams of 3. One is a team of friends and one is a father/son team with an extra thrown in.
    One 'team' is a soloist.

The Alvey's have bought the closed Redrock Restaurant. After much work and remodeling they plan to open by Easter with the new name Duke's Slickrock Grill and Campground. They will offer a steakhouse menu and will be open for breakfast also. The campground should be reopened this next weekend. Showers are $5.

Ready...Set...

Penny

20. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Just a suggestion:
    if you really want to RAISE MONEY, setting up an: elite -egodriven event I do not think is the way to go!!!

you guys included Middle that shed out any guys with little claustrofobic and big chest size, + there is no interaction between teams!!!

and the name?
    who come out with such a negative association name?
    that is usually associated with poor innocent people got killed by fanatics!!!
    if you really care for the SAR of Wayne county and not your xxxxxxx just lets Shane organized next time or Tom, and you will have tons of people that will be willing to contribute to it!!!
    including a big potluck european style

plus not everybody has the time to do the same exact canyon over and over gazillion time just to beat a time.

Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    Next Sunday, March 17, is the opening day of the Irish Jihad. I don't suspect that many will try it then. Days are still quite short. People might find this link helpful in planning.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html

We have 8 teams so far. Five of those teams are 2 person teams. Of those, 3 are teams of married couples, 1 is a team of brothers, and 1 is a team of friends.
    Two teams are teams of 3. One is a team of friends and one is a father/son team with an extra thrown in.
    One 'team' is a soloist.

The Alvey's have bought the closed Redrock Restaurant. After much work and remodeling they plan to open by Easter with the new name Duke's Slickrock Grill and Campground. They will offer a steakhouse menu and will be open for breakfast also. The campground should be reopened this next weekend. Showers are $5.

Ready...Set...

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    Just a suggestion:
    if you really want to RAISE MONEY, setting up an: elite -egodriven event I do not think is the way to go!!!

you guys included Middle that shed out any guys with little claustrofobic and big chest size, + there is no interaction between teams!!!

and the name?
    who come out with such a negative association name?
    that is usually associated with poor innocent people got killed by fanatics!!!
    if you really care for the SAR of Wayne county and not your xxxxxxx just lets Shane organized next time or Tom, and you will have tons of people that will be willing to contribute to it!!!

plus not everybody has the time to do the same exact canyon over and over gazillion time just to beat a time.
    No belittleling intended to the above, but....
    Whether or not you like the whole idea, don't have the time, ability, interest, don't like name or don' t want to keep doing the same canyons, I think something to support SAR is a good idea. It's easy to follow the links from Bluugnome or North Wash and simply make a donation/contribution. The way I look at it, I may be contributing to my own rescue some day or someone I know &/or care about. I hope others will be broad-minded enough to at least consider the donation option. A lot of canyoneering takes place in those two counties.

23. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Hi Peak,
    if you knew the actors you will understand what I am talking about it
    but apparently you do not really know why instead of making a fest and raise tons of money they decided to do this way!!!!
    If I will have all the free time to do those reapeat sequencially 24 hr is not an impossible time

i used to run canyons with time clocks on ( that is why now i do not either remember if i did already a canyon or not, sometime i just remember the exit of them and have to look at pictures to make sure I was there),
    the only stopping time was posing for pictures in the most awkard spots and smile like with 30feet of ground under me in the silo i was holding on!

but that was long ago, and unless there is a new version of the book coming out not really good reasons to do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    Hi Peak,
    if you knew the actors you will understand what I am talking about it
    but apparently you do not really know why instead of making a fest and raise tons of money they decided to do this way!!!!
    If I will have all the free time to do those reapeat sequencially 24 hr is not an impossible time

i used to run canyons with time clocks on ( that is why now i do not either remember if i did already a canyon or not, sometime i just remember the exit of them and have to look at pictures to make sure I was there),
    the only stopping time was posing for pictures in the most awkard spots and smile like with 30feet of ground under me in the silo i was holding on!

but that was long ago, and unless there is a new version of the book coming out not really good reasons to do that anymore.
    im not sure what is really ment by the statement "if you knew the actors you will understand what I am talking about", but this much I am sure of. THIS FUNDRAISER IS AWESOME! If one would have told me to come to a fest on a certian day, I probably wouldn't have participated (Maybe I would have, IDK) But this idea of doing all these canyon for a cause is very appealing to me :)

Also, last i checked Tom is helping out with the Jihad ;) Isn't he donating gear for the drawing? I guess he can speak for himself if he wants.

Anyway, This fundraiser is giving me an awesome challenge and opportunity to see some new canyons, and to donate to an awesome cause! And I get to to it on my own time, which is working out very well. Im not sure it is my Ego that is driving me to do this either. I just sounds like A TON OF FUN to be had! (granted it will be neat to say I did 7 canyons in a day if we are to accomplish the task ;) It is probably similar to the feeling marathon runners have after finishing their race)

all in all, I say lets do this Jihad AND the Fest ;) the more the better! right?

one thing is for certian, this Irish Jihad sure peaked my interest and is getting me and 4 other friends out for a weekend that we normally wouldn't be getting out on :)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

26. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    the idea is nice,
    but is also a better Idea there are people out there that after search and rescue was deployed they find out that they do not know were the canyons were or how to get to the victim safely!!!
    So now they are to teaching search and rescue how to get to the canyons and how to deal with ropes rappelling DC etc etc.

those people that are not doing to be in the spotlight but just to help.

the canyons are not that difficult, they are all beginner friendly the main work is on the approaches: 3x for lep and 3 to 4 for the other ones (mountaineers\hikers had advantage in doing this ) and if you cannot be a big chested guy for middle lep.

the canyons itself are only couple of hours each. just middle is a little more work but the others are runnable.

Just be careful and check always your safety first!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    im not sure what is really ment by the statement "if you knew the actors you will understand what I am talking about", but this much I am sure of. THIS FUNDRAISER IS AWESOME! If one would have told me to come to a fest on a certian day, I probably wouldn't have participated (Maybe I would have, IDK) But this idea of doing all these canyon for a cause is very appealing to me :)

Also, last i checked Tom is helping out with the Jihad ;) Isn't he donating gear for the drawing? I guess he can speak for himself if he wants.

Anyway, This fundraiser is giving me an awesome challenge and opportunity to see some new canyons, and to donate to an awesome cause! And I get to to it on my own time, which is working out very well. Im not sure it is my Ego that is driving me to do this either. I just sounds like A TON OF FUN to be had! (granted it will be neat to say I did 7 canyons in a day if we are to accomplish the task ;) It is probably similar to the feeling marathon runners have after finishing their race)

all in all, I say lets do this Jihad AND the Fest ;) the more the better! right?

one thing is for certian, this Irish Jihad sure peaked my interest and is getting me and 4 other friends out for a weekend that we normally wouldn't be getting out on :)

I don't intend to provide a weekly update, but thought I would post a few thoughts.
    Of the 35 people who have registered with the Irish Jihad, as either a donor or participant, 5 heard about the event through Bogley. The other 9 who responded to the question were from varied sources.
    Most people haven't chosen a team name but of those who have there are some cool ones:The Sabre Toe Tigers, The Dark Pookas of Endeavor, Fiona McSweat, and, my favorite, The ABUSEment Brothers.
    Of the ten teams competing, almost half are giving it a go this weekend. I don't know if it is because of the long weekend or the almost full moon or something else entirely.
    Good luck to everyone.

Penny

29. Likes Kuya liked this post