Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Jihad 2013 - A Fundraiser For SAR

Irish Jihad 2013 - A Fundraiser For SAR

This spring strong, creative and fun loving canyoneers have the opportunity to try to complete the 7 Irish Canyons in a day while supporting a good cause-- raising money for Search and Rescue. This event is sponsored by BluuGnome, NorthWash Outfitters, Stan's Burger Shak/Chevron, and Tom Jones' Imlay Canyon Gear.
    To learn more about the event:

http://www.bluugnome.com/event/irish...ihad-2013.aspx

To register:

http://www.northwashoutfitters.com/I...istration.html

Matt (canyondevil), Luke (bluugnome) and I have organized this event and hope you will join us.

Penny

2. Likes Slot Machine, Kuya liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow what a great idea. Thanks for organizing this. Me and my crew will be singing up for this for sure. Sounds like a blast!!!! And supports a great cause.

How might one make a donation to support this fund-raising event without participating in the day?
    Thanks to you all for this worthy effort.
    Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by JennyMae
    How might one make a donation to support this fund-raising event without participating in the day?
    Thanks to you all for this worthy effort.
    On The link to North Wash Outfitters there is an option to donate

This sounds like a blast! I will definitely be participating. Thank you Penny, Luke and Matt for organizing a great way to support a worthy cause.

A suggestion to the organizers:
    I recommend each team takes a GPS that can leave a bread crumb to validate their route and time.

Rob

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    This sounds like a blast! I will definitely be participating. Thank you Penny, Luke and Matt for organizing a great way to support a worthy cause.

I recommend each team takes a GPS that can leave a bread crumb to validate their route and time.

Rob
    Pshhhhhaw.

Canyoneering requires trust. Let's consider that sufficient.

Tom

9. Likes xxnitsuaxx liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post

Rob
    We talked about requiring a gpx track, but those can be manipulated on a computer. The winner doesnt actually win anything but bragging rights anyways. Everyone who completes the route will be put in a drawing for the prizes, and whether they actually complete it is on the honor system.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by canyondevil View Post
    ...on the honor system.
    Matt
    Yes, agree.

How about having completed all the canyons over the course of several days, but they still add up to 24 hours?

Just kidding.

Great idea and event. Thank you Penny, Matt, Luke, and Jared for pulling this all together.

12. Likes Canyonbug liked this post

Wife and and I love this idea

Thanks for the warm and enthusiastic response. We are quite excited by the prospects.
    I have no idea who aj in Hurricane is ,but welcome. I was willing to place bets that Rob would jump on for a Jihad.
    I am a bit surprised that Steve Jackson hasn't piped up. It could be that he is just out of town right now, or perhaps he is getting too old for that kind of thing anymore. A couple of other gray hairs have decided to participate by donating money or gear for the drawing. Maybe that is what the Mapleton crew is planning.
    Mountaineer, thanks for helping to clarify the rules by stating what is NOT allowed. Do I sense a father/son team forming?
    Will the dweavers be changing their May UT plans to include a run through the Irish Canyons?
    Hmmmm...

Penny

15. Likes Canyonbug liked this post
    Really looking forward to this! I have a feeling it might be better for me to go do these canyons at least once before we do the actual event though! Make sure I can get my 210 lb self through those skinny canyons!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Dang! It's a bummer it starts on the last day of The U's spring break. At least part of my day will have to be devoted to getting back to SLC safely for class the next day.

I would like to make a trip there and do some or all of them if any other people/ groups want to join up

Our community needs more things like this!

20. Likes Canyonbug, summitseeker, Slot Machine liked this post
    Blog Entries

7 canyons is going to be very tough for a lot of people. Doing all 3 Leprechauns (especially middle fork) in one day is extremely tiring in itself :/

Outside that, I still think it's a great idea and definitely a tough, but incredible fun adventure.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    7 canyons is going to be very tough for a lot of people. Doing all 3 Leprechauns (especially middle fork) in one day is extremely tiring in itself :/

Outside that, I still think it's a great idea and definitely a tough, but incredible fun adventure.
    I agree I think the order in which the canyons are done will be huge. You wouldn't want to do middle Lep first and wear yourself out but at the same time you don't want to do it last cause you could end up in a lot of trouble too.
    Bonus points for anybody that adds the next door neighbor sandthrax to the7 canyon day, or hell even the day after.

Jman you bring up a very good point. Even though each canyon is fairly easy, stringing several together makes it tough, very tough.
    It took me 5 tries and 2 years before I successfully completed all 7 in a day.
    I recommend going early and going often. There is nothing in the rules that say you only get one try.
    What I see as the most important factors to completing the Jihad:
    1. Strategy
    2. Endurance
    3. Commitment
    4. Efficiency
    5. Speed

I would also like to point out that for every marathon, there is a half marathon. For every Ironman there is a mini Ironman. I hope people will feel free to do as many or few as they want. No matter how many you do, it will most likely be more than you have done before. Set a personal record that you can be proud of and call it good. Post up and tell about your experience. I know it will be awesome.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    Mountaineer, thanks for helping to clarify the rules by stating what is NOT allowed. Do I sense a father/son team forming?
    Penny
    We definitely support it! Lots of discussion and consideration ...

25. Likes Canyonbug liked this post
    Hi All,
    I was down in North Wash this weekend planning my route and thought of a few things you might want to know.
    The community page is up and running on bluugnome. Go there to see who has signed up so far and see who signed up as a single and may be looking for partners.

Considering the questions in another thread regarding the new guide service and whether they were legal to operate in the area, I decided that I should say that we have a Letter of Agreement with the BLM. The Hanksville office was terrific in working with us and requiring the minimum from us to have this event. They could have required permits, fees, and insurance but in the end a simple Letter of Agreement was sufficient for both sides.
    The parts of the agreement that canyoneers need to know about are these:
    *If this event is held in the future, the BLM reserves the right to require an SRP (Special Recreation Permit).
    *The BLM assumes no legal liability.
    *The restroom is available for use at the Hog Springs Recreation Site. All other human waste must be packed out and properly disposed of.
    *Help us clean up public lands by packing out ALL trash generated by your activity.
    *No temporary or permanent structures or signs will be installed in the canyons or areas used for camping during the activity.
    *Disorderly or otherwise objectionable conduct will not be tolerated and could be the basis for denial of similar agreements in the future.
    *Precautions must be made to protect natural resource values, cultural or historic objects, aesthetic values on public lands.

Hi All,
    I was down in North Wash this weekend planning my route and thought of a few things you might want to know.
    The community page is up and running on bluugnome. Go there to see who has signed up so far and see who signed up as a single and may be looking for partners.

Considering the questions in another thread regarding the new guide service and whether they were legal to operate in the area, I decided that I should say that we have a Letter of Agreement with the BLM. The Hanksville office was terrific in working with us and requiring the minimum from us to have this event. They could have required permits, fees, and insurance but in the end a simple Letter of Agreement was sufficient for both sides.
    The parts of the agreement that canyoneers need to know about are these:
    *If this event is held in the future, the BLM reserves the right to require an SRP (Special Recreation Permit).
    *The BLM assumes no legal liability.
    *The restroom is available for use at the Hog Springs Recreation Site. All other human waste must be packed out and properly disposed of.
    *Help us clean up public lands by packing out ALL trash generated by your activity.
    *No temporary or permanent structures or signs will be installed in the canyons or areas used for camping during the activity.
    *Disorderly or otherwise objectionable conduct will not be tolerated and could be the basis for denial of similar agreements in the future.
    *Precautions must be made to protect natural resource values, cultural or historic objects, aesthetic values on public lands.

Penny
    Last edited by penmartens; 02-04-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Oops, sorry for the double post. Don't know how to get rid of it.