Thread: Best iPad Apps / What do you Love Most About your iPad?

Best iPad Apps / What do you Love Most About your iPad?

I just accepted a new job in a two weeks supporting a Mac network. There are about 50 users all on Macs and mostly all having iPads and iPhones. I own two Android tablets, so I am not new to the tablet world. But I purchased a Macbook and iPad this last week and I need to learn iOS and OSX quickly.

So I'm curious what your favorite apps are, and what you most love about your iPad / iOS device.

Thanks.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm an android guy but another forum I'm on had recent threads on popular iOS apps you might find useful.

http://edcforums.com/threads/iphone-...5-apps.102494/
    http://edcforums.com/threads/how-abo...d-apps.104175/

I'm a big fan of Evernote and it works for apple too.

Good luck. I'd go nuts being that deep in Apple products all day.

4. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by phatch View Post
    I'm an android guy...
    So am I. I have two android tablets, and I'm on my 3rd Android phone. I'm also more of a Windows guy, and most of my career has been centered around Microsoft products. But the price was right, and this company is a mile from my house, so I can learn Apple :)

Aren't there a bunch of Apple fans on this site? I already own an iPad, help me love it!

My wife owns an Ipad.. her favorite app is the one where she steals my Android tablet and never charges her Ipad because she hates it...
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

8. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    My wife owns an Ipad.. her favorite app is the one where she steals my Android tablet and never charges her Ipad because she hates it...
    My wife refuses to use my Android Tablet... but spends all her time bitching about her Ipad while using it!

I don't know of any good apps for streaming movies from my home computer to my android tablet or iPad. Anyone have any recommendations?

http://airplayit.com/ works pretty good and you can use it on both of your tablets

ES file explorer and Astro can find the files on your system but it doesn't like to "stream" them and your android os will try to download them before playing (most of the time)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I don't really have a favorite app. I don't own an iPod but I do use one when I visit my sister. They have two tablets that are used heavily between two - three adults and two young kids. It is definitely good for web browsing.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

I've had an iPad 2 for about two years, and really get a lot of use out of it.
    Here's what I use most:
    Office Suite clone: DocsToGo (not great, but better than nothing), CloudOn (a web based virtual Office Suite, basically running the real thing on their servers).
    GPS: GAIA is great, allows many different map sources, well supported. Track Editor, for those times when I forget to turn off tracking in GAIA and record the whole drive home. I also have Trimble Outdoors MyTopo Pro and Navigator Pro, but don't use them as much as GAIA.
    Cloud storage: Google Drive
    Remote desktop: Splashtop is fantastic, I use it to remotely access my home and office PCs. It also will stream video from either quite well. I also use PocketCloud and TeamViewer, both of which are top notch.
    Web browser: I use Chrome mostly, and like that it will sync bookmarks with my other PCs. Photon allows you to use web sites with Flash embedded, works quite well.
    Media: I use Air Video and Video Stream for streaming videos from my home PC to my iPad while away. I also have Netflix, Pandora, and Rhapsody on the iPad for the occasional video/music.
    Photography: I use Web Albums to download my Picasa albums to the iPad for viewing while wifi in not available. Photo Manager Pro allows better control over photo albums than the built-in app. Simple Transfer allows you to move photos between iPad, iPhone, etc.
    Panoramic photos: Photosynth (a Microsoft product, see Microsoft ICE for the PC version, allows uploads of panoramas to their site), Autostitch
    Video editing: Avid Studio (pretty good, but I do almost all on my high end PC for speed)
    Utilities: AppBox Pro (nice set of general utilities), Disc Space (to see how much storage is left), Phone Drive (file manager, viewer), FileExplorer (allows you to remotely view/manage files on PC).

If you have any specific needs, let me know and I might have some experience/ideas.

14. Likes DiscGo liked this post

Best iPad Apps / What do you Love Most About your iPad?

Apple rules. Welcome to the source of all light and truth.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Apple rules. Welcome to the source of all light and truth.

This week has been interesting.

One thing I love about Android is the ability to customize it. I knew that Apple doesn't let you use widgets, but it drives me crazy that I can't even add my contact information to the unlock screen (unless I manually add my contact information to a picture of my choosing, and then use that image as my background image). When I was asking an Apple fanboy friend of mine they told me that if it were a good feature than it would already be on the iPad, so clearly it isn't to my benefit to have that ability.

There are certainly some great things about Apple products, but I find dealing with their "fan boys" to be very frustrating. @Bluff-Canyoneer 's post was the first post or message I have really seen from anyone that didn't recommend an app I already have on my Android tablet, or really highlighted any individual benefit of the iPad (thank you again @Bluff-Canyoneer). But mostly I get a bunch of people who say Apple is the best without being able to explain why.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post