Thread: 2013 BYU Football

2013 BYU Football

Tougher or about the same as last year?

---

Aug. 31

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: 2013 BYU Football

Looks like a nice schdule, except it would be better to have the cupcakes at the front end like all the other major programs.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Much tougher than last year. This schedule makes me nervous particularly with the turmoil on the offensive side of the ball. It will be interesting.
    Life is Good

Wow, that's a gauntlet! Interesting to see how they come out in the end. They'll probably beat Utah...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Re: 2013 BYU Football

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Wow, that's a gauntlet!
    I don't know if I'd call it a gauntlet, more like a typical BCS schedule.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Here is the way to early/guestimate

@Virginia WIN
    Texas LOSS
    Utah LOSS
    Middle Tennessee State WIN
    @Utah St. LOSS
    Georgia Tech WIN (at home is the only reason)
    Houston LOSS (on the road following a tough home win against G.T.
    Boise State LOSS
    @Wisconsin WIN (BYU's one big one of the season)
    Idaho State WIN
    @Notre Dame LOSS
    @Nevada LOSS (Too much to go to Wisconsin UNR, and Nevada 3 out of 4 weeks. Also, Reno is tough this late in the season)

5-7, and that's a generous 5-7

BYU took a HUGE hit yesterday..... Defensive backfield, which was already a question, lost their best player for the year.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/56725365-88/byu-johnson-season-cornerback.html.csp

By Jay Drew
    The Salt Lake Tribune

Provo • The cornerback situation for BYU this season has gone from scary to an outright nightmare for coach Bronco Mendenhall’s otherwise stellar-looking defense.

During the Cougars’ first practice Monday, projected starting cornerback Jordan Johnson suffered a torn ACL in his knee while he was returning a kickoff. The injury happened when Johnson planted his foot wrong in the grass at the outdoor practice facility and was not from contact.

An MRI revealed the tear and BYU football spokesperson Brett Pyne confirmed that the junior from Springfield, Mass., will miss the entire season.

Johnson, who was referred to BYU by former basketball great Danny Ainge, general manager of the Boston Celtics, redshirted in 2010, saw significant time in 2011 and became a valuable member of BYU’s defense which was ranked No. 3 nationally in fewest yards allowed in 2012.

Johnson started in 12 of 13 games in 2012, making 48 tackles, 15 pass breakups and an interception.

Johnson’s injury means that when sophomore David Watford, who on Monday was named Virginia’s starting quarterback for the opener against BYU, lines up behind center at Scott Stadium on Aug. 31 to take his first snap since the 2011 season he could see true freshman Dallin Leavitt on one side of BYU’s secondary and junior college transfer Robertson Daniel on the other.

The 6-foot, 205-pound Leavitt was preparing for his senior season at Portland’s Central Catholic High School in Oregon at this time last year, and Daniel sat out the entire 2012 season at DeAnza Community College in Cupertino, Calif., to work on his academics. He hasn’t played in a real football game for nearly 20 months.

"Sure it is possible," BYU defensive backs coach Nick Howell said last week. "We are going to coach [Leavitt] up and get him ready. He’s a good football player. We wouldn’t have recruited him if we didn’t think he could play right away. I don’t want players who don’t want to play right away. And I don’t want to recruit players who can’t play right away. If they can’t then we aren’t recruiting the right guys."

On Monday, Mendenhall spoke to reporters before news of Johnson’s injury — which happened before the 30-minute media viewing period at the end of practice — had been released. He said that Daniel and and Leavitt were in a heated battle to be the starting boundary corner and Daniel had a slight lead because he is a bit faster. Now, Daniel becomes the favorite to be Johnson’s replacement.

"They’ve both done a good job making plays," Howell said. "That’s where we are right now."

BYU just lost another corner today....Dallin Leavitt, possible ACL. Word is the Leavitt kid tweeted out that he wasn't hurt....for whatever that is worth. Being this was first listed as a hip, then ACL, then story taken down....so maybe he is all well and good...

Interesting. So who had predictions on BYU's record?

I predict they will go to some small bowl that no one cares about ;-)

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Crickets from Cougar fans..... Would guess that will continue if they lose, but everyone will come in for chatter if they are winning games..... BYU is a 3 point favorite Saturday.....I'll be interested to see how they play. OL is a big concern(as is the defensive backfield), if you don't have an OL....tough to move the ball. UVa is reportedly a power running team, wonder if that plans into BYU's hands, vs a pass happy team.

BYU has one heck of a running back. I imagine they will run that horse as long as its working. You might see the QB running too....which means BORING football.

That BYU QB is the fastest player on the team. Yeah, he will run.... for first downs and touch downs. BYU will win 10, maybe all of their games and will probably be National Champions. Heck, we haven't played a game yet so why not go big. We are all winners this time of year! And Acca, boring??? I don't think so. You clearly have not been following BYU summer smack and puffery. A new offence is rolling out in a few days. Go fast go hard. If I remember right they are going to be trying to have a play every 20 seconds. I do have high hopes for BYU but don't we all for our team right now?
    Life is Good

A friend of mine (who is a BYU fan) described the BYU offense... "hurry up and punt."

They've got some work to do..

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Crickets from Cougar fans..... Would guess that will continue if they lose, but everyone will come in for chatter if they are winning games.....
    Maybe they're sick of BYU threads created by Utah fans and then infested with douchebags?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    A friend of mine (who is a BYU fan) described the BYU offense... "hurry up and punt."

They've got some work to do..
    Close.... "hurry up and punt, unless you can find a more destructive way to give it away first."

This hurry up offensive only works if you have a good defense with depth, otherwise you put to much pressure on your D.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Yeah it seems like it might be a long season for the Cougs and Yewts. USU might be the highlight again...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This hurry up offensive only works if you have a good defense with depth, otherwise you put to much pressure on your D.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    The defense held up well...of course they might not hold up that well all year with that much field time. Especially against Texas, ND, etc