Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy Scouts could end ban on Gay Members & Leaders

Are girls allowed in boy scouts? Cause gay guys are pretty much girls with regards to sexual orientation.

Would everyone be comfortable with a grown man taking a bunch of teenage women into the woods for a sleepover? No, because it's opening the possibility for bad stuff to happen. There is a noted cross gender attraction. We hear stories all the time about teachers sleeping with students. By the same token, a gay male is attracted to boys (males) and the potential exists for problems to occur.

Doesn't seem like as complex an argument as you guys are making it out to be. To me at least.

I've seen some "tempting" looking high school ladies out there and I'm pushing the perverted age of 40. I don't see why a gay guy might not have the same problems. Pretty basic stuff IMO.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Boy Scouts could end ban on Gay Members & Leaders

I had female"cub masters" when i was younger. But I'm not sure of the rules now.

But i remember @ratagonia made a great point years ago in a similar thread, men that like little boys are not gay, they are pedophiles.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

4. Likes DiscGo liked this post

men that like little boys are not gay, they are pedophiles.
    ^^^This^^^

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I had female"cub masters" when i was younger. But I'm not sure of the rules now.

But i remember @ratagonia made a great point years ago in a similar thread, men that like little boys are not gay, they are pedophiles.
    I did too, almost exclusively, in cub scouts. They were all women (the one or two I dimly recall). In Webelos that changed to a feller.

Women are allowed in Scouting. When I participated in Cub Scouting as a young boy, my leaders at the time were mostly women, who served in the capacity of Den Mother. As a current Scoutmaster, I know that women continue to serve in the Scouting program in various capacities, ranging from Den Mothers, Committee members, District and Council positions, etc.

A lot of people ask why homosexuals are not allowed to participate in the program. BSA made this statement back in 2004: "The Boy Scouts of America believes that homosexual conduct is inconsistent with the obligations in the Scout Oath and Scout Law to be morally straight and clean in thought, word, and deed. The conduct of youth members must be in compliance with the Scout Oath and Law, and membership in Boy Scouts of America is contingent upon the willingness to accept Scouting's values and beliefs." They reaffirmed this position as recently as July, 2012. I'm not sure what has changed since last summer to prompt another round of consideration.

I read the above posts in this thread and see a lot of name hurling by those who are in favor of removing the ban, and find it sad that so much venom is hurled at those who wish for the BSA policy to remain unchanged. I, personally, am opposed to removing the ban and wish to see the BSA continue to stand its ground as it has in the past. That said, I am not running around spreading hate and/or fearmongering against those who hold a differing viewpoint. You disagree with the policy? Great - that's your choice. I will respect your opinion, but ask that you respect mine as well. We all have different convictions in life. Just because those convictions differ from yours doesn't make one a bigot, a hater, etc.

Let me share a quote from an article, "The Intolerance of Today's Tolerance", as I found it rather interesting and insightful on what is currently taking place around the BSA topic.

"As people speak up for the protection of the values encapsulated in their chosen associations, others raise the cry of bigotry and intolerance, demanding that all others be allowed to join regardless of differing values and principles. In an effort to legitimize their values and purposes, these groups are accusing others of the sins they themselves are committing, hate and intolerance. The demand to be tolerated has morphed into a demand to be accepted which in turn has resulted in a cry and demand that the rights of others to their own sets of values and associations be set aside and denied."

8. Likes Byron liked this post
    Oh if girls are allowed in Boy Scouts, then they have to let gays in. Period. I assumed they weren't. Having the opposite sex is way more dangerous than having a gaylord so my argument completely falls apart.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70 View Post
    Women are allowed in Scouting. When I participated in Cub Scouting as a young boy, my leaders at the time were mostly women, who served in the capacity of Den Mother. As a current Scoutmaster, I know that women continue to serve in the Scouting program in various capacities, ranging from Den Mothers, Committee members, District and Council positions, etc.

A lot of people ask why homosexuals are not allowed to participate in the program. BSA made this statement back in 2004: "The Boy Scouts of America believes that homosexual conduct is inconsistent with the obligations in the Scout Oath and Scout Law to be morally straight and clean in thought, word, and deed. The conduct of youth members must be in compliance with the Scout Oath and Law, and membership in Boy Scouts of America is contingent upon the willingness to accept Scouting's values and beliefs." They reaffirmed this position as recently as July, 2012. I'm not sure what has changed since last summer to prompt another round of consideration.

I read the above posts in this thread and see a lot of name hurling by those who are in favor of removing the ban, and find it sad that so much venom is hurled at those who wish for the BSA policy to remain unchanged. I, personally, am opposed to removing the ban and wish to see the BSA continue to stand its ground as it has in the past. That said, I am not running around spreading hate and/or fearmongering against those who hold a differing viewpoint. You disagree with the policy? Great - that's your choice. I will respect your opinion, but ask that you respect mine as well. We all have different convictions in life. Just because those convictions differ from yours doesn't make one a bigot, a hater, etc.

Let me share a quote from an article, "The Intolerance of Today's Tolerance", as I found it rather interesting and insightful on what is currently taking place around the BSA topic.

"As people speak up for the protection of the values encapsulated in their chosen associations, others raise the cry of bigotry and intolerance, demanding that all others be allowed to join regardless of differing values and principles. In an effort to legitimize their values and purposes, these groups are accusing others of the sins they themselves are committing, hate and intolerance. The demand to be tolerated has morphed into a demand to be accepted which in turn has resulted in a cry and demand that the rights of others to their own sets of values and associations be set aside and denied."
    Thank you Mooseman for a reasonable post.

I am deeply saddened that a large organization makes it its purpose to develop the bigots of tomorrow.

Tom (atheist)

You all are way to serious!

So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

12. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    They reaffirmed this position as recently as July, 2012. I'm not sure what has changed since last summer to prompt another round of consideration.

What has changed is the BSA is about to lose a butt load of money if they maintain their current position.

For better or worse.... Just about everyone's values and morals have a price.

Quote Originally Posted by PunchKing View Post
    You all are way to serious!

Yo Tom.... Is that the Mount Carmel 2nd Ward?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    But what if there's a rumor? I'm just curious, what steps are taken if somebody thinks a leader is Gay? Some sort of trial? Do they confront him? I was just wondering that.

That's an excellent question. I'm curious too.

To add....what specifically would disqualify a gay man to perform the same functions as a straight man? They're men just like anybody else, the only difference is who they choose to entirely devote themselves to -- which should be nobody else's business.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

BSA made this statement back in 2004: "The Boy Scouts of America believes that homosexual conduct is inconsistent with the obligations in the Scout Oath and Scout Law to be morally straight and clean in thought, word, and deed.

I get it now.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

kSL ran a clip which included footage from I'm guessing the rally in Irving Texas which featured a person with a sign that said, "save our boys from homosexual acts". Geez. Really? Since they're boys, shouldn't they be saved from heterosexual acts too?

"God votes no on gays!"

Ahhh...the god of exclusiveness. Entrance to the country club does have restrictions...

Blog Entries

Boy Scouts could end ban on Gay Members & Leaders

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    What has changed is the BSA is about to lose a butt load of money if they maintain their current position.

I disagree. Remember the Chik Filet remarks? That drove sales for a long time for people in support of the owners comments.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Thank you Mooseman for a reasonable post.

I am deeply saddened that a large organization makes it its purpose to develop the bigots of tomorrow.

Tom (atheist)
    I respect your opinion, but I disagree. I've known more people on the "anti" gay side who are more loving and respectful than those on the "pro" side. Of course there are bad apples in every bunch, we get that. Like mooseman said, those are my convictions and I hope you can respect that even if you disagree as I respect the other person and their convictions even if I disagree with it. No intolerance there.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

20. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I respect your opinion, but I disagree. I've known more people on the "anti" gay side who are more loving and respectful than those on the "pro" side. Of course there are bad apples in every bunch, we get that. Like mooseman said, those are my convictions and I hope you can respect that even if you disagree as I respect the other person and their convictions even if I disagree with it. No intolerance there.
    Except institutionalized intolerance of gays and atheists... but that doesn't count does it?

T

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I disagree. Remember the Chik Filet remarks? That drove sales for a long time for people in support of the owners comments.
    Really? "Drove sales"?

Cite a credible source.

Interesting stuff on the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-f...ge_controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Oh dude, support will go through the roof actually.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Except institutionalized intolerance of gays and atheists... but that doesn't count does it?

T
    That's been the point of many posts here - it's a institution aka private organization, and can do what they want essentially.

I think I can understand why you say " intolerance", but again, many examples can be given on why I can't join this fanclub, or this church, or that business, or the blood oath gang for secret canyons...
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Really? "Drove sales"?

Cite a credible source.

Interesting stuff on the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-f...ge_controversy

http://www.ibtimes.com/chick-fil-set...-claims-737364

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_2016864.html

http://www.qsrweb.com/article/207673...-up-12-percent. This last one was from 5 days ago.

The wiki you cited was informative, thanks for sharing that.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

26. Likes Brian in SLC liked this post