Thread: St. George Rock Art

St. George Rock Art

OK, here is the deal... I'll be in St George Friday on business but I'll be free at noon for the rest of the day. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to see or do? I know very little about rock art around St. George but figured some of you might know a thing or two...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Have you been up Quail Creek yet? It has a few small petroglyphs, but the real attraction is the scenic beauty. There is also a ruin near the beginning of hike, but it's only a moderately interesting one. Quail Creek is my favorite St. George hike and I would bet that you will like it too, though the lighting might be best in the morning to not long after noon.

Anasazi Ridge is right by St George and has great petroglyphs. It's not a secret, so you should be able to find info online.

Also near St George are the Bloomington petroglyphs. Again, not a secret.

The Dinosaur Discover site is also interesting.

There are really petroglyphs in the Black Mountains north of Cedar City which could be seen on your way there or back, but I don't remember where they are and couldn't point the exact location on a map.

I assume that you have already been to Snow Canyon and the nearby cinder cones? If not, it's a good area, especially the northern section.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...g-(D-U-Warning)

http://www.allzion.com/history_museu...etroglyphs.php

The above links reference the Anasazi Ridge that Scott mentions above.

From the Anasazi Trail head it is a little over a mile to the rock art which can be found above and just below the cliff that overlooks the river. Trail is well graded.

http://www.myxj.net/blog/parowan-gap...lack-mountain/

To visit the Little Black Mtn site, you drive 5 miles south of St George on River Rd and then turn left (east) off of that dirt road onto another dirt road. Actually, there are two dirt roads that head east parallel to each other. Take the less sandy one. Both will arrive at the trailhead parking lot in front of Little Black Mtn in 4.5 miles.

I would have recommended something with this guy. I really enjoyed his class in Arizona.....however, I hate websites with music and in looking I don't see that he has anything going this week. However, he does have videos and pics, etc posted.

Boma

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    OK, here is the deal... I'll be in St George Friday on business but I'll be free at noon for the rest of the day. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to see or do? I know very little about rock art around St. George but figured some of you might know a thing or two...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    I may be going to Fairview to go snowmobiling on Friday. If I don't end up going and you want some company let me know.

Thanks everyone. I think we will try for Little Black Mountain. If I can swing it I'll also try for Anasazi Ridge but I probably won't have time for both. I just need something to kill a couple hours.

Hope you had an enjoyable trip? If ever down again wanting to see some more Rock Art, holler and I can point you to a nice panel....easy walk, rarely viewed.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

10. Likes denaliguide liked this post

St. George Rock Art

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Hope you had an enjoyable trip? If ever down again wanting to see some more Rock Art, holler and I can point you to a nice panel....easy walk, rarely viewed.
    Great panel, and one I don't recognize. Cool. Ya gotta love the rock art down here.
    Wade

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

Quote Originally Posted by wnorton View Post
    Great panel, and one I don't recognize. Cool. Ya gotta love the rock art down here.
    Wade

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.
    It is a cool panel! Leads one to believe the ancient civilizations were musicians? Check out the guitar in the hand of the Shaman!

St. George Rock Art

Bo, next time I'm in DR I'm going to hit you up for directions or GPS. I'd like to see this one.

I'm still looking for the other slot canyon in Snow Canyon with petroglyphs. Yesterday I led the Red Rock group around there and we visited the petroglyph slot with the tree in it, pyramid rock panel and the newspaper rock panel.

I need to find a common weekend to tag along with Cher

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    [QUOTE=wnorton;526435]Bo, next time I'm in DR I'm going to hit you up for directions or GPS. I'd like to see this one.

I'm still looking for the other slot canyon in Snow Canyon with petroglyphs. Yesterday I led the Red Rock group around there and we visited the petroglyph slot with the tree in it, pyramid rock panel and the newspaper rock panel.

I need to find a common weekend to tag along with Cher
    Chere'

To know more about home decoration visit this site :-rugsandblinds,com