Thread: New canyon guide service?

New canyon guide service?

Anyone heard of these guys?

Get Into The Wild
    http://www.getinthewild.com/

They have a deal going on Groupon
    http://www.groupon.com/deals/get-in-the-wild

In a Nutshell: Guides lead hikers on canyoneering trips in Dirty Devil Wilderness, Capitol Reef National Park, and North Cascade Mountains.

Looks like they also teach canyoneering courses....

Just curious who they are and if they are legit....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Met two of them this fall down by the Henry's. thought they were a husband/wife team but maybe not....talked to the lady and they camp all over on blm land and then meet their clients and go from there....seemed very nice...they were just finishing up guiding some clients from Cali..

drove a nice, old jacked up 4 runner...I'm a toyota guy so it caught my eye...

4. Likes Get in the Wild liked this post
    Looks like they camp, they are nice and they drive a Toyota. Well, they sound qualified to me.
    Life is Good

6. Likes Get in the Wild liked this post
    Saying they were properly insured and permitted would have been a better selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Saying they were properly insured and permitted would have been a better selling point.

I can see where insurance would be important, but do you NEED a permit to guide groups through canyons? Who would issue such a permit? The triple-R trifecta? (Ram, Ratagonia, Rich)
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

9. Likes Slot Machine, Kuya liked this post
    The BLM would issue the permit, since the canyons they are advertising are on BLM land.

Re: New canyon guide service?

About 15 years ago I looked into starting a guide service, so its been a few years... But to guide commercially you need a permit from the BLM (or NPS) for most Utah canyons, and part of the permit was having an insurance policy.

It was also at this time that I noticed most company's guiding in Utah were really offering a good deal after you factored in their permits, insurance, transportation, payroll, equipment, Fed taxes, state taxes, business license, workers comp and probably a bunch of other items I'm forgetting.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Ice, it hasn't changed much since you applied. I helped Dark Horse get started. You need permits to guide which requires insurance, plus all the other stuff to do it legally. I hope these guys are legal.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Ice, it hasn't changed much since you applied. I helped Dark Horse get started. You need permits to guide which requires insurance, plus all the other stuff to do it legally. I hope these guys are legal.
    The complication being that each jurisdiction has a different application, different requirements and different fees and process. For example, Yankee Doodle is out of the BLM St George office, while Birch Hollow is out of the Kanab office. In the Escalante area, you need one permit for when you are in the Monument (BLM) and a different permit when you are in Glen Canyon National Rec Area (NPS). Etc...

Tom

Iceaxe

HAD you started your guide service I am guessing that your website would have had some different wording under the "Birds and Bees" section.

from the GETINTHEWILD web site on practicing outdoor Yoga:

"Birds and Bees–When you practice outside, you are connecting with the roots of your being - all of our beings – Mother Earth. Take the time to reconnect with nature. Close your eyes and take in the sounds of the birds calling in the distance, the scent of fragrant blossoms, and the feeling of the subtle breeze on your skin. Let life be simple."

Hi – I’m the owner of North American Wilderness Leadership School and Get In The Wild Adventures. Glad to hear that camping, being nice and driving a 4WD Toyota Pickup ranks high on some of your lists! For those looking for some additional information about who we are you can find that on the “About” section of our website. As for being “legit” I guess that question is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. We certainly hold permits on all State and Federal lands that we operate. These include North Cascades National Park, Capitol Reef National Park, Mount Baker Snoqualmie National Forest, Wenatchee National Forest and multiple districts of the Bureau Of Land Management. One of the many requirements to hold a permit with any of these agencies is Commercial Liability Insurance. We carry this not only because it is required, but because we place high value on the safety and interests of all guests that we lead into the wild.

I certainly appreciate the email from whomever it was that notified us about this forum post. I don’t spend a lot of time here and contacting us directly is certainly the easiest and quickest way to receive a response.

Best Regards,

Christopher Hagedorn

www.getinthewild.com

Re: New canyon guide service?

Thanks for the post Christopher.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

You're certainly welcome Iceaxe.

If any of you folks are passing through Hanksville this spring and would like to say hello please feel free to give me a call or drop me an email.

Christopher

www.getinthewild.com

New canyon guide service?

Well said Christopher!

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

19. Likes Get in the Wild liked this post