Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: beta for sad cow disease ?

FWIW: One of the biggest problems I have with "show-don't-tell" is that by definition I'm being "guided" through the canyon. I prefer to pull up my big boy pants and do the route without dad holding my hand.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well I believe in show don't tell. It makes it so the canyon looks its best and isn't covered in clown webbing, staircases installed into the walls and drawings on the walls( not pictographs )

Quote Originally Posted by levifackrell View Post
    Well I believe in show don't tell. It makes it so the canyon looks its best and isn't covered in clown webbing, staircases installed into the walls and drawings on the walls( not pictographs )
    Actually my experience it just the opposite happens... as word starts to leak out folks go loaded for bear looking for the canyon. This results in multiple social trails, rat nests of clown webbing, and the sprouting of bolt gardens.

Show-don't-tell works great for preserving the pristine for a short period, but long term it is detrimental to the canyon. I prefer to look at slots in 10 year cycles.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW: One of the biggest problems I have with "show-don't-tell" is that by definition I'm being "guided" through the canyon. I prefer to pull up my big boy pants and do the route without dad holding my hand.
    I couldn't agree more. The sense of adventure is very real without a human safety net. It's the difference between being an adventurer and a tourist IMO. Obviously, only doing first descents would be the purest form of canyoneering adventure, but one cannot simply do a first descent every day. The downside of this mentor-free approach is that your risk is substantially increased. For example, taking my small inexperienced crew through Shenanigans was hair-raising and risky, but it was a thrilling and deeply rewarding day that can't be duplicated. You can only be introduced to Shenany once. Do you want someone with you holding your hand? Is your group ok with the risk? You might say it wasn't worth the risk. I do, and so do the people I was with. That being said, every person gets something different out of canyoneering. I'm not saying what you should find rewarding, just offering my point of view.

I think finding Sad Cow in person would be vastly more rewarding than being guided there. Just a point to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by levifackrell View Post
    Do what works for you! Post a trip report when you get back. (Oh, I joke, I joke)
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    So, let me get this straight ---

You LOVE doing beta-less descents - but you are super indignant that we won't give you beta on demand. WTF????????????????????????????

You decline our invitations to go do canyons with us, and then you are all uppity snuppity about HOW we 'take people down canyons'. Ie, you heavily criticize something you know nothing about. WTF???????????????????????????????

7. Likes MSchasch, outsider liked this post

beta for sad cow disease ?

I think if I really wanted to do some of these show don't tell canyons and still wanted to feel like I was not simply being "guided" through a route this is what I would do...

I would ask for someone to show me the route, and also ask them to let me lead or at least give me the opportunity to figure out the small details, like anchors, down climbs, etc. If my choices would increase resource damage or contribute to building rat's nests of webbing or the like, they would be there to say so. At the same time it would allow me to develop my skills and progress as a canyoneer.

That should prevent the stuff ice talked about, while still letting one flex their own brain power. Having someone there who has the experience in the route can only be a benefit to the group.

I don't know if I my ideas are well thought out or not, but they seem to impress the hamster running the wheel in my skull.

9. Likes Slot Machine, MSchasch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dweaver2130 View Post

I would ask for someone to show me the route, and also ask them to let me lead or at least give me the opportunity to figure out the small details, like anchors, down climbs, etc. If my choices would increase resource damage or contribute to building rat's nests of webbing or the like, they would be there to say so. At the same time it would allow me to develop my skills and progress as a canyoneer.
    This is how it usually works.

New to you, you go first, the "showers" hang out in the back unless assistance is needed or warranted.

11. Likes JennyMae liked this post

beta for sad cow disease ?

Oh ok, well then that's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by MSchasch View Post
    This is how it usually works.

New to you, you go first, the "showers" hang out in the back unless assistance is needed or warranted.

That's exactly how I canyoneer with my kids!

It's a great way to learn, but they are still being guided and daddy is there to bail them out of any situation they can't handle.

Thanks for making my point so crystal clear....

There is a huge difference between trying to figure out the problem and having to figure out the problem.

14. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Hehehe *rubs temples*

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    So, let me get this straight --- You LOVE doing beta-less descents
    Yes.

- but you are super indignant that we won't give you beta on demand.
    No way. I don't care what you do. Or don't do. Apathy is my only emotion here.

You decline our invitations to go do canyons with us,
    So?

and then you are all uppity snuppity about HOW we 'take people down canyons'.
    Hiking with others is great! I only find it uncomfortable and odd that swearing people to secrecy is a part of any hike. It's just hiking.

Ie, you heavily criticize something you know nothing about.
    To use your word, falsehood, would be appropriate here. I know WAY more than I ever wanted to know about this aspect of hiking. I feel sick. Time to barf.

Weird, I wasn't even trying to pick a fight here. Just trying to give Levi another point of view... Freak out if you must. My upset-o-meter is still on zero.

Bob
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

IMHO - If you are not a believer in the show don't tell system you should not participate.
    Well I believe in show don't tell.
    What's all this believing talk? It's "show-don't-tell", not the tooth fairy

I don't really understand why one would want to put a canyon on show-don't-tell status, as Shane said it does seem to backfire.
    But I really don't understand why some are so offended by what others do or don't do with their beta, why does it matter if some folks want to keep the canyons they discovered relatively secret?

17. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dweaver2130 View Post
    I think if I really wanted to do some of these show don't tell canyons and still wanted to feel like I was not simply being "guided" through a route this is what I would do...

That should prevent the stuff ice talked about, while still letting one flex their own brain power. Having someone there who has the experience in the route can only be a benefit to the group.

I don't know if I my ideas are well thought out or not, but they seem to impress the hamster running the wheel in my skull.
    I think your post is very well thought out, and if that is what makes you smile, then by all means do it.

But,

There is a huge difference between trying to figure out the problem and having to figure out the problem.
    I love being forced to solve big problems. ^^This^^ is what makes me smile.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    But I really don't understand why some are so offended by what others do or don't do with their beta, why does it matter if some folks want to keep the canyons they discovered relatively secret?
    The "offense" occurs when anther "secret" canyon is outted... and then everyone who has been keeping the secret gets all uppity requesting that posts be removed from Bogley because they divulge the big secret.

I could careless how folks want to share their personal beta. Just don't start whining when someone else posts the canyon.

And something else to keep In mind that I consider very important. The first guy to post the beta generally gets to establish the ethics. A secondary item is the first person to post often gets to name the route.

20. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    What's all this believing talk? It's "show-don't-tell", not the tooth fairy
    *SHOOTS BEER OUT OF MY NOSE, FALLS OFF CHAIR LAUGHING*

Well done sir, well done.

Actually my experience it just the opposite happens... as word starts to leak out folks go loaded for bear looking for the canyon. This results in multiple social trails, rat nests of clown webbing, and the sprouting of bolt gardens.

Show-don't-tell works great for preserving the pristine for a short period, but long term it is detrimental to the canyon. I prefer to look at slots in 10 year cycles.

YMMV
    Ice, you have said this many times on both this forum and the yahoo groups, but I havent seen a specific example of where and when this has been the case. Care to back up your statement with evidence?

Re: beta for sad cow disease ?

If you have seen it many times before than you have also seen the numerous times I've documented specific cases. How about you try using the search button so I don't hsve to keep doing your homework for you. I know I detailed several cases a couple months ago when we had this same discussion.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    If you have seen it many times before than you have also seen the numerous times I've documented specific cases. How about you try using the search button so I don't hsve to keep doing your homework for you. I know I detailed several cases a couple months ago when we had this same discussion.
    That's IceAdze for "no".

T

Re: beta for sad cow disease ?

I'm on my phone for the next few days with no access to a computer. Easy enough to click the search button on your computer. I spelled this all out for you recently.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Hey Slot, You love betaless descents? When did you do one of those? You are still really new to the sport, impressive! TR? Please don't rub it in our face and then not post the beta...

Oh unless you are just trolling like iceaxe.

Has there really ever been a case that you wanted to do canyon, that without a little bit of searching or asking that someone wouldn't give you the beta. I have never had any issues at all with anybody withholding information. Just because it isn't readily available at the exact moment you want to look at it doesn't mean there is a show don't tell stigma to it.