Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: beta for sad cow disease ?

beta for sad cow disease ?

Name:  P5120233.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  20.1 KB
    MISSING: due to the little to no info on this canyon i am calling a bogley wide search for it along with a beta.
    INFO : Escalante? http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2010/...w-disease.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Oh yeah! I wanna play!

The landscape shots supplied on Eric's website are very tough to pinpoint. Online you can find more photos of that canyon, if you look very carefully. But again, they are also very difficult to pinpoint. The good folks that elected to share those photos did so with great care. 'Twas fun to figure this one out.

I've never been there, so I don't know precisely which one it is, but it must be one of these 4 canyons:

Name:  Sadcow.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  93.3 KB

That being said, I'd bet the farm that Sad Cow is canyon "B". I'd also bet that getting to the top of "B" is kind of a pain. I'm guessing it is done one of these two ways:

Name:  sadcow2.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  98.2 KB

Sooo... remember, "B" is just a guess. One other guess - I'll bet Sad Cow is not a tough canyon. There are no pictures of wetsuits, silos, potholes or rope tricks anywhere. There is no mention of it being a harrowing adventure. Is it easy? Looks like it, but I don't know. Some of the folks in those photos are expert canyoneers, and could make many things look easy. Obviously, your mileage (or mine) could vary greatly.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

I've never been there, so I don't know precisely which one it is, but it must be one of these 4 canyons:
    kelsey calls these the 'little baker slots'

5. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    kelsey calls these the 'little baker slots'
    Name:  md0944510205.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  6.1 KB
    http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...%2C+Michael+R.
    it looks like it is this book but im not 100% sure so here is a cheap sight for guide books from kelsey

That being said, I'd bet the farm that Sad Cow is canyon "B". I'd also bet that getting to the top of "B" is kind of a pain.
    well seeing that the nearest road is 111
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's the old book and those canyons are not in it.

This is the book that has those canyons:

http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Cany...t+canyon+guide
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

[QUOTE=levifackrell;525112]well seeing that the nearest road is 111
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Well driving down a river is rarely successful, unless you are driving one of those new fiats. What you need yourself is a boat. Unless you find a migratory swallow who is Not carrying a coconut.

sorry to burst your bubble but i dont think this is sad cow ( looks like ABC are something to explore ) the blog says "After our hike into Phipps Wash we drove into town" the nearest town is 3 miles away from the "TH" and the total length of the canyon there and back is ~16 miles, i know shaggy has been there since he has pictures of this canyon ( http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?41394 )
    Name:  P5120273.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  62.0 KB
    also this is the end of the canyon it dose not look the area of our maps

Quote Originally Posted by levifackrell View Post
    sorry to burst your bubble but i dont think this is sad cow ( looks like ABC are something to explore ) the blog says "After our hike into Phipps Wash we drove into town" the nearest town is 3 miles away from the "TH" and the total length of the canyon there and back is ~16 miles, i know shaggy has been there since he has pictures of this canyon ( http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?41394 )
    also this is the end of the canyon it dose not look the area of our maps
    You not being able to find your ass with either hand in no way bursts my bubble. That is, your ineptitude in no way disproves my theory.

If you read CAREFULLY, the drive back to town could have been the day before, the week before, ANY time before their approach to Sad Cow. They hiked Phipps wash, had dinner, then they drove to meet Ram's crew. Then they probably camped, THEN they approached Sad Cow in the morning. Jesus, have you even tried to figure this out for yourself??

Shaggy has been there? REALLY?? You don't remember post #41 from your "best canyon" thread?...

I belive that Eric from that site is @Shaggy from Bogley. If you are serious about going, send him a PM and he might tell you. He is a super nice dude.
    Finally, I don't care where their exit hike was. It could be any direction from the slot, and many miles away. Of all their photos, you just pointed out the LEAST relevant. Nice work.

Bob

Blog Entries

Take it easy fellows - it's just a canyon.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Take it easy fellows - it's just a canyon.
    Ok, ok... I'll play nice.

Truth be told, I now want to find this thing at least as bad as Levi.

Sorry for thinking that way I just don't want anyone to be dedicated to those 3 canyons. I'm just trying to point things out that MAY be helpful to find it. I'm only 18 so I'm trying to figure this out to my best abilities. Shaggy isn't responding to my message I sent him so I was thinking someone else may know where it is. I think it's amazing that you found those 3 canyons, I would have never noticed them. Who knows you may be able to name those canyons if they happen to be no named canyons.

Quote Originally Posted by levifackrell View Post
    ...so I was thinking someone else may know where it is.
    Well... anyone that has been there, and knows the answer for sure, will probably not tell you. Stefan probably knows for sure. I think his post is a "tell".

Sadly for you, my guesswork is probably be better than anything a person in "the know" will divulge.

I'm adding the Little Baker Slots to my Escalante trip list. They look super fun, even if Sad Cow isn't there. Either way, we'll see if I'm right by May.

Bob

Something else to consider...the canyon was named in 2010 because of a bovine mother and her calf were found dead. I don't believe anyone has ran cattle in the Escalante River drainage since '99. So either they were dead a looooong time, or it's somewhere else.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Well... anyone that has been there, and knows the answer for sure, will probably not tell you. Stefan probably knows for sure. I think his post is a "tell".

Sadly for you, my guesswork is probably be better than anything a person in "the know" will divulge.

I'm adding the Little Baker Slots to my Escalante trip list. They look super fun, even if Sad Cow isn't there. Either way, we'll see if I'm right by May.

Bob
    Actually, Bob, this is a falsehood, and YOU of all people should know it is a falsehood.

It's a pretty good canyon. If you would like to visit it with us, Levi, under Show Not Tell agreement, send me an email. CanyoneeringUSA@gmail.com

Bob has had that offered to him, but chose not to correspond.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Actually, Bob, this is a falsehood, and YOU of all people should know it is a falsehood.
    You are correct, I didn't mention EVERY option for finding this canyon. I left out the "show-don't-tell" option, and probably should have mentioned it. I didn't intend to vilify anyone "in the know". I'm merely stating that nobody is going to show up on this forum and straight-up tell Levi the answer. Tom, I honestly did not intend to ruffle your feathers.

FWIW Levi, I don't even consider "deal making" an option. What I find, I share. My omission is reflection of me, and my values. Nothing more.

Bob

20. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Something else to consider...the canyon was named in 2010 because of a bovine mother and her calf were found dead. I don't believe anyone has ran cattle in the Escalante River drainage since '99. So either they were dead a looooong time, or it's somewhere else.
    After hiking out there a bit, we've seen cows every-freaking-where out there. There were cow patties on the buttress between E3 and E4! How the hell did a cow get there??

Seriously, there are no cows on the mesa west of the Escalante? (honest question) Not that it matters, my conclusion isn't based on where cattle graze...

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    After hiking out there a bit, there a cows every-freaking-where out there. There were cow patties on the buttress between E3 and E4! How the hell did a cow get there??

Seriously, there are no cows on the mesa west of the Escalante? (honest question) Not that it matters, my conclusion isn't based on where cattle graze...
    I agree. There's cows all over the place. They wander.

Tom

Re: beta for sad cow disease ?

FWIW Levi, I don't even consider "deal making" an option. What I find, I share. My omission is reflection of me, and my values. Nothing more.
    x2

IMHO - If you are not a believer in the show don't tell system you should not participate.

Also a little advise gained from lots of experience. Just stick around and pay attention and the canyon will find you soon enough. To this date I've found every canyon I was looking for in a reasonable time frame. And while you wait patiently there a plenty of other canyons to tick off the list.

YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

24. Likes Cr8on, Absolute Gravity, Slot Machine liked this post