Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cell Phone

The Cell Phone

I did a quick search and didn't seem anything too recent on this topic.

I have a 2008 blackberry that is on its way out. The center ball quit working so i think its time for a replacement. The question now is, which one to choose. I'm with T-mobile if that helps with any suggestions.

Top priorities-

1. Size/weight (hike every Sunday)
    2. Decent pictures
    3. Somewhat rugged. It must survive being thrown in a daypack with Nalgene bottles and pocketknives.
    4. Affordable. I bought my son the Note II for Christmas. 7 bills and huge in size so not sure if its a good fit.

Or maybe anymore there isn't that much that separates phones and they are all pretty much the same. I don't know and for the most part don't care. I just want one that fits my needs and i'll be set.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Cell Phone

Definitely an iPhone. It'll do all that and more. It's by far the most superior phone on the market...

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Definitely an iPhone. It'll do all that and more. It's by far the most superior phone on the market...
    you said that with a straight face?...

5. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Man, not sure about the iphone. But I'll take a look. I for the most part despise phones, but the times I don't have one I seem to be needing one. Also not sure about the iphone and t-mobile but I'll take a look as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I prefer Android over iPhone myself. I'm also a cheapskate on plans so that means an unlocked phone and a prepaid account. This article is a good starting point.

http://androidandme.com/2012/12/revi...december-2012/

If you have to have Verizon coverage, PagePlus does prepaid phones for that.

The Note II is a great phone. Big and pricey though as you experienced. Off contract phones are that way, but you save in the long term. Droid DNA is a good phone, also will be expensive. But that link above talks about what's available at some different price points.

If you can get a Nexus 4 (major supply problems right now), it's probably the best bang for the buck phone at this time.

Re: The Cell Phone

LMAO

You couldn't pay me to use an iPhone. For the record I upgraded my phone last week an went with the Galaxy S3. YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

9. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    The iMoan is great for everything but a phone...good for photos, video, games, apps, kids games, interweb, twatter, facebay and that kind of thing...

But it is not a phone first & foremost, it's a toy that occasionally can be used as a phone. Better get a simple phone if that's what is required. Tracfone used to do simple cheap pay-as-you-go or contract phones that were cellphones only with a cheap camera...perhaps they still do. Cheap & cheerful, but they do exactly what it says on the tin.

Just in my opinion, you understand.

I'm an Android fan as well. My good old Droid X took many beatings and it's still going strong. I can't remember how many times I dropped it. Most recently, it fell into the toilet. Took me a good 30 seconds to get it out of there. I dried it and it works like a charm.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

I know manufacturers make phones specifically for rough use.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

The Cell Phone

Peasants own Android phones...

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
    I've had both Iphones (4s) and Android phones (Htc HD2, Evo, & Samsung Hero, S2, S3, Note2). I prefer Android, but the Iphone was great too. I just like the Android platform better. As far as rugged, I've thrown both in packs on several occasions and have never had an issue. As long as you have a good case and screen cover you should be good to go. As far as one being Superior to another, good luck with that. It's all opinion.

Peasants own Android phones...
    Shepherds own Samsungs, sheep own Iphones. Baaa, baaaa! Lol! I know my sheep Mister .

You could wait for the introduction of the Galaxy S4. It may have a flexible and unbreakable screen. They haven't announced whether it will be released with the new phone yet. It should be interesting anyway.

Looked up the rumors for the Galaxy S4. Now that would be a nice upgrade. I am thinking the going the Android route (tmobile) as my son's Note II is pretty nice. But like I said, too bulky for what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by tomertim View Post
    Top priorities-

1. Size/weight (hike every Sunday)
    2. Decent pictures
    3. Somewhat rugged. It must survive being thrown in a daypack with Nalgene bottles and pocketknives.
    4. Affordable. I bought my son the Note II for Christmas. 7 bills and huge in size so not sure if its a good fit.
    An Android phone will better fit each of these categories because of the variety. The hardest part is choosing which Android.

When I want a great cell phone picture, I use the HDR Camera app. The stock iPhone and Android cameras are going to be ok with their own editing options, but with the Android market you'll get a larger variety of camera apps to help you out.

With the rugged durability, the case is where it's at and there will be a variety with either phone. You'll even have waterproof cases if you want to go that way, so it really isn't OS specific.

Just an example of some cell phone shots I've taken with the HDR Camera app (Android)

19. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Sombeech, thanks for the examples. I think I narrowed it down to either the S3 or try and hold off for the S4. But who knows when that will be.

The HDR Camera app is awesome and what I use. I noticed the factory camera on the S3 now has an HDR setting but I've never tried it.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

For what it is worth I also have the Galaxy S3 and believe it to be the best phone on the market. I would not suggest Sprint in Utah because the S3 has LTE and Sprint only has WiMAX here in Utah. So you don't get 4G and the 3G speeds are pretty low.

I am pretty passionate about electronics and am a geek. I have researched the issue a fair amount and my opinion (for what it is worth) is that the iPad is better than Android tablets and high-end Android phones are better than iPhones. Because so many more apps are free on Android than iOS I ended up going the Android route for both my tablet and phones. But if money were no object I'd go iPad for tablet and Android for phones.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Free? You get what you pay for....

@Garbanzo followed me to the elite side of motorcycles, but he's still decided to stay in the trailerpark section of phones.

damned few apps for Crackberry - don't get another one